Ladies, define formal

Hockeylovinmom

Oh the can of worms you have opened! :eek:

Personally, I consider formal to be fancy long gowns for the ladies and tuxes for the men. We usually dress for the first formal and I do a cocktail dress and DH wears his camo vest and bow tie (that I made for him) with his tux the second formal night. It's more subtle than you're imagining.

I do not consider pants formal. Nor capris. Or flip flops, no matter how fancy/sparkly. Just my opinion.

With my 88 year old FIL coming this time, I don't think we'll do formal, just dressy, or we may skip the dining room and do the buffet. I would love a picture off DH and FIL dressed up, but won't hold my breath.

I'm 52, so not too terribly old or fuddy-duddyish.

Formal to me, just my opinion, is a gown or cocktail dress. Formal is a special occasion.

I enjoy getting dressed up, but hubby gets too warm and wears a nice polo and nice slacks.

We after all these years have agreed to disagree and move on.

Just like the amount of luggage we bring. Why waste time worrying about what others do?

I do feel I would feel stupid if no one else was dressed up and I was the only one. I like the formal nights.

Again, just my opinion.

Personally, I consider formal to be fancy long gowns for the ladies and tuxes for the men.

Me too! And having said that, I've seen very little of what I'd consider 'formal' on our cruises. Lots of cocktail dresses and pants....that's 'fancy dress' but not 'formal' to me.

How exactly would you define formal ( for ladies)? Does it have to be sequins? Or couture? how about a long black skirt? Heels? Or flats? Or dress pants? Where is the fine line between formal and smart casual?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I wear black pants, a glittery sequin top, and a black loose wrap to cover my arms. Nice jewelry, low heels, and that's, that. No one will remember what you wore or even care.

15 years ago, I used to go all out "formal" in a long gown. Now, with luggage expenses, increased age and decreased ability to haul around luggage, I go "dressy." That can mean slinky skirt or pants and a sparkly top or it can mean a cocktail dress--depends on my mood while packing. But for 7 nights, it will only be one dressy outfit and it is typically not a ball gown. My shoes will be decent flats because my balance has deteriorated over the years and heels are not an option.

Sorry to all the purists. Odds are you'll never see me again after the cruise.

I wear black pants, a glittery sequin top, and a black loose wrap to cover my arms. Nice jewelry, low heels, and that's, that. No one will remember what you wore or even care.

Oh, but they do care and remember, those who didn't dress to their standards. :D

If you are asking how "formal" is defined on a Princess ship, it certainly isn't limited to the traditional long gowns and tux.

For ladies, I see everything..... a simple "Sunday best" dress, cocktail dress, tailored pants suits, black or cream crepe pants with pretty top, mother of the bride type dresses , long skirts or gowns. :D You'll see it all. Wear whatever shoes you'd like to coordinate.

Edited by eandj

I would define formal as elegant, dresses or frocks on the knee or longer. You can rarely go wrong with black. Anything shorter would only look formal to me if it was on a very young lady and if the material was something like velvet or silk.

I think trousers (pants) are fine, again if in black or a dressier fabric, and paired with a dressy or glittery top. I have also worn a feminine version of a tuxedo jacket and trousers, with some nice jewellery and a little cleavage, and felt very appropriate! Height of heels should be to personal preference and comfort, better to wear pretty flat sandals or ballet pumps and walk elegantly, than risk a twisted ankle, or display overstrained calf muscles struggling to cope in over-high heels!

But the most important thing, is to wear what makes you feel good, then you'll always be happy with your choice.

How exactly would you define formal ( for ladies)? Does it have to be sequins? Or couture? how about a long black skirt? Heels? Or flats? Or dress pants? Where is the fine line between formal and smart casual?

There is more than a fine line between formal and smart casual - it is more like a chasm. :D

Now, this is just my opinion, and I have been raked over the coals by some posters still here and by some no longer here. Some here will go over-the-top and research your posting patterns to personally demean. You gotta have a thick skin to deal with some here...

Cruise formal is extremely subjective. First, it is dependent on the cruise line you are using. Then, it filters a little more to location/length of the cruise. You have to read what your cruise line requires or recommends for their "formal/elegant/dress up or not" night.

Some women still bring the formal ball gown; but I think it is now a distinct minority, even within women "dressing up" for formal night. I see more and more of the women in the black pants and top than dresses. Cocktail dresses and LBDs show up most of the time. Save for Cunard/Crystal (based on what some of the women here have said), any of these combinations would be just fine. For shoes, go what is comfortable - I wouldn't give a thought to having to wear heels or blingy/strappy sandals.

Go with what you are comfortable bringing and wearing. As long as it is within the recommendations of the cruise line, you are fine.

For me, "formal" is more than "Sunday clothes"....it's stuff you would only wear in the evening....and it does NOT need to be black!!! Gown or cocktail dress. Not a fan of pants, but I do realize many will wear evening pants....again..they are not "slacks" that you'd wear out and about in the daytime!

You do not need a "ballgown"...evening gown is wonderful, and usually quite easy to pack!

Shoes...again...not basic leather, canvas or daytime sandals...they should be an evening shoe, whether it's a heel or a flat!

Edited by cb at sea

Now, this is just my opinion, and I have been raked over the coals by some posters still here and by some no longer here. Some here will go over-the-top and research your posting patterns to personally demean. You gotta have a thick skin to deal with some here...

Cruise formal is extremely subjective. First, it is dependent on the cruise line you are using. Then, it filters a little more to location/length of the cruise. You have to read what your cruise line requires or recommends for their "formal/elegant/dress up or not" night.

Some women still bring the formal ball gown; but I think it is now a distinct minority, even within women "dressing up" for formal night. I see more and more of the women in the black pants and top than dresses. Cocktail dresses and LBDs show up most of the time. Save for Cunard/Crystal (based on what some of the women here have said), any of these combinations would be just fine. For shoes, go what is comfortable - I wouldn't give a thought to having to wear heels or blingy/strappy sandals.

Go with what you are comfortable bringing and wearing. As long as it is within the recommendations of the cruise line, you are fine.

The OP originally posted this on the Princess forum, but the moderator moved it. I *think* the OP was addressing it from a Princess perspective.

Formal for me is something fancy, that I would not wear in my every day life. It could be a gown, Cocktail dress, LBD, fancy pants with a beautiful top. It also means to me fixing my self up a little more, having the right jewelry to go with the outfit.

The OP originally posted this on the Princess forum, but the moderator moved it. I *think* the OP was addressing it from a Princess perspective.

Thanks. I did not see anything pointing to a specific line. But, I'm not one to go digging through a poster's postings on other boards… I just took it at face value.

Thanks. I did not see anything pointing to a specific line. But, I'm not one to go digging through a poster's postings on other boards… I just took it at face value.

You don't have to dig through anyone's posts. When a post is moved, you will see notification of it on the board it was on originally and it takes you to its new home.

I wore my last *true* formal two weeks ago to my son's wedding. I'm sort of done with *prom* style clothing that really can't be worn anywhere else. I'm making changes to my life and one of them is to have a lot less in my closet and in my home, which will eventually be in south Florida. I think you can look wonderful in festive/cocktail clothing....these are my choices now. I also have two black knit dresses, but I really prefer myself in slacks. I really like being comfortable in my skin.formal20wear_zps9cwuxvpk.jpg"]formal20wear_zps9cwuxvpk.jpg[/url]

We cruise Celebrity, and they are doing away with formal nights December 1st. Going to a dressy chic.....which is how I've been dressing for awhile. Nice cocktail dresses with glitzy jewelry, heels and always a fabulous clutch. With airline fees the way they are, I am not willing to give up the other clothes for a very few formal nights. But, I do try to be very dressy.

Edited by ocbeachbums

You don't have to dig through anyone's posts. When a post is moved, you will see notification of it on the board it was on originally and it takes you to its new home.

But, if I don't look at the original board, find it but on the new home, how do I know? I've never run into this before. I'd appreciate a little education on it. I had browsed the .sig line, but did not see a Princess cruise listed. So, I was thinking it was a generic question. Thank you for your assistance (truly, not snarky).

Excellent. That puts them on my radar. :)

I just went to X web site and found this.

sailings departing December 4, 2015, and beyond, Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated.

Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities are being introduced, and Evening Chic attire is replacing Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: A cocktail dress

Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing: Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

There is some change.

"Formal attire" for women is a floor length dress or skirt, with hair and makeup done (not necessarily heavy, but attended to) and coordinated jewelry of some type. Sequins not required - in fact, I think "formal attire" is generally pretty conservative in colour, fabric, and tone. Dress pants are never truly a part of women's formal attire.

There's a big line between formal and smart casual -- it's the area called "cocktail attire" or "semi formal". That's where dress pants could be a part of a suitable outfit.

That said -- the vast, vast majority of cruise lines do not require or have passengers who dress in real formal attire. What many cruise lines call "formal" is really "cocktail" or "semi-formal" attire.

• 1 month later...
I wore my last *true* formal two weeks ago to my son's wedding. I'm sort of done with *prom* style clothing that really can't be worn anywhere else. I'm making changes to my life and one of them is to have a lot less in my closet and in my home, which will eventually be in south Florida. I think you can look wonderful in festive/cocktail clothing....these are my choices now. I also have two black knit dresses, but I really prefer myself in slacks. I really like being comfortable in my skin.formal20wear_zps9cwuxvpk.jpg"]formal20wear_zps9cwuxvpk.jpg[/url]

Can I ask where you got the tops shown in your bucket? We retired after decades in Columbia, MD back to my home area of Madison and formal gowns went with retirement. Love your tops! And your last "prom dress". :)

I can't imagine on what planet "jeans" are classy chic regardless of how much they cost, but oh well...to each his/her own. I'm all about the cocktail dresses and men in sport coats and ties or suits and ties and I doubt that will go "out" anytime soon. Long gowns and tuxes are just too difficult to pack in today's world.