Would like recommendations for South America private shore excursions ?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:23 PM.
Sherwood Park
3 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
As seniors, my wife and I are taking the Star Princess departing LA on Dec 4, 2018 and disemabrking in Buneos Aires on Jan 3. With at least 15 stops and an average ship excursion at $125, that means the two of us could spend $3750 on excursions. So I am looking for helppful recommendations for private tour companies for our stops and a description of what one sees.
Cabo San Luca, Mexico
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Callao (Lima) Peru - 2 days
Coquimbo (La Serena) Chile
San Antonio (Santiago) Chile
Port Montt, Chile
Punta Arenas, Chile
Ushuaia, Argentina
Port Stanley, Falkland Islands
Puertoa Madryn, Argentina
Montevideo, Uruguay
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Also, we would be interested in attending a premier football (soocer) match in Buenos Aires Jan 2 or 3
962 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We used Perro Tours in Valpariso, Denis in Puerto Montt, and I know other people used a group to Volunteer point in Falklands. Also booked directly with El Pedro in Puerto Madryn

Sent from my iPad using Forums
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,779 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
We've been to a lot of those places, using only private tours. Use these boards to search for the specific port to get ideas.

Off the top of my head the only tour name I remember specifically is Estancia for the Falkland Islands, which we did this January. It was literally less than half the price of the ship tour and went exactly the same place and did exactly the same thing in the same time frame. The ship may have used them or Patrick Watts, in fact.

All the tours to Volunteer Point to see the King penguins go the same route and actually travel together in caravans as the chance of a particular car getting stuck is great, and they help each other by pulling out others The cruise line uses the same people as we who booked privately.

I'd have to go back and look to see other names, but all of our excursions were good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
South Florida & Shenandoah Valley, VA
6,357 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by mathduck
As seniors, my wife and I are taking the Star Princess departing LA on Dec 4, 2018 and disemabrking in Buneos Aires on Jan 3. With at least 15 stops and an average ship excursion at $125, that means the two of us could spend $3750 on excursions. So I am looking for helppful recommendations for private tour companies for our stops and a description of what one sees.
Cabo San Luca, Mexico
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Port Montt, Chile
Punta Arenas, Chile
Ushuaia, Argentina
Montevideo, Uruguay
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Also, we would be interested in attending a premier football (soocer) match in Buenos Aires Jan 2 or 3
We (DH, me, Sister, brother-in-law) did this cruise (well, LA to Rio) at the same time of the year in 2016/2017 on the Crown Princess and had many of the same stops. Almost all of our tours where private. Just look them up on the internet for descriptions of their tour offerings. Make sure you check for 'cruise ship tours'.

Puntarenas - Odyssey Tours. A very enjoyable full day tour.

Callao (Lima), Peru - we did a two day tour with Haku Tours. Absolutely fantastic and the owner (who was our tour guide) took great pride - and rightfully so - in their support for the poorer sections of the city.

Cocquimbo - We all took Princess tours to the Elqui Valley. DH and I did the Pisco Distillery and my sister and DH did the telescopes. I think their tour was much more interesting. The restaurant we all ate at for lunch was excellent with wonderful Chilean empanadas as a first course.

Punta Arenas -Solo Expedicioines. This was Christmas Day. We had a fast boat ride to Isla Magdalena to see the Magellanic penquins and lots of babies. We were scheduled to sail around Isla Marta to see the sea lions but the seas became too rough.

Ushuaia -Patagonia Adventure Explorer. We had a mid-afternoon Beagle Channel Boat Ride reserved but the winds and seas picked up and they had to cancel at the last minute. They immediately returned our fares and asked if anyone was interested in a van tour and hikes in the National Park for a cheaper fare. We really enjoyed it and the guide was excellent.

Port Stanley - Patrick Watts to Volunteer Point. We reserved 13 months in advance - he fills up. An excellent experience.

Montevideo -Urugais Tours. They weren't planning on doing tours on New Years Day morning but our roll call had enough people interested to fill one small bus and one standard size but. We were the only vehicles on the road at 9 am. Our guide was very good.

Buenos Aires - Buenos Walking Tour. Excellent American expat (Jessica) as a guide.
962 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We used Perro Tours in Valparaiso but I am sure they do San Antonio. We booked directly with El Pedral for Puerto Madryn and saw penguins. For Puerto Montt, we had a guide named Karen who we booked with a guy named Denis and I think the company was Puerto Montt Excursiones. Punta Arenas is easy to walk on your own. We used some ship tours in some city. We went on a wildlife excursion boat trip that was right at the dock in Ushuaia

Florida
2,764 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by angeleyes27
We used Perro Tours in Valparaiso but I am sure they do San Antonio. We booked directly with El Pedral for Puerto Madryn and saw penguins. For Puerto Montt, we had a guide named Karen who we booked with a guy named Denis and I think the company was Puerto Montt Excursiones. Punta Arenas is easy to walk on your own. We used some ship tours in some city. We went on a wildlife excursion boat trip that was right at the dock in Ushuaia

You are right, Perro Tours does San Antonio tours...I talked with them about doing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wayfairers
12/06 RC Navigator of the Seas - 7d Eastern Caribbean
01/08 HAL Ryndam - 30d Hawaii/South Pacific
03/08 Carnival Spirit - 7d Mexican Riviera
06/08 Princess Sapphire - 10d Alaska
01/09 Celebrity Galaxy - 10d Southern Caribbbean
10/11 HAL Maasdam - 45d Atlantic Adventurer (RT FLL to Europe)
05/14 Carnival Legend - 7d Western Caribbean
06/14 Carnival Conquest - 7d Eastern Caribbean
07/15 HAL Veendam - 1st 18d of Voyage of the Vikings (Boston-Amsterdam)
10/15 Norwegian Spirit - 28d Transatlantic (Venice-Orlando)
01/16 HAL Rotterdam - 89d Passage to the Far East

Looking forward to.....
01/19 HAL Prinsendam- 80d Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage
Gainesville, TX
7,126 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Ushuaia - Pira Tours the only company that can take groups on to the penguin rookery.

Costa Rica- Oddessey Tours

Lima Cabs-had a guide & driver for the 2 of us so we could. I’ve as fast or slow as we wanted.

Falklands - Estancia Tours

La Serena - Tours by Locals
24 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Cabo San Luca, Mexico
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Port Montt, Chile
Punta Arenas, Chile
Ushuaia, Argentina
Montevideo, Uruguay
Buenos Aires, Argentina

For these ports we used Tour guide Ushuaia company : tourguideushuaia.net
I got a reduction for booking several ports.

Port Montt, Chile
Punta Arenas, Chile
Ushuaia, Argentina
Montevideo, Uruguay
Buenos Aires, Argentina

The Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and Scenic Northern Michigan
1,517 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Like you, were are seniors too and I organized a number of tours for our Roll Call. Like others have said, you need to spend the money on Falkland Islands. We used Patrick Watts and he fills up very quickly as well as the landowner has decreased the number of people that can come onto Volunteer Point at one time. Do that first and you can reach him at [email protected] He wants you off on one of the first tenders so make sure you get in line about 30-45 minutes before they start passing out the numbers.

Punta Arenas, Chile - easy walk to downtown then take a cab to the Museum where the replicas of Magellan ship, the Beagle, etc are. We had our driver wait for us and it was about $15 pesos to go and return and wait.

Montevideo - I used Uruguias Brun Turismo and reached them through [email protected] I organized the tour and with 15 people, it came to $25 each for a large bus and a very good tour including a marketplace. I recommend them.

Buenos Aires - I did the ranch tour/luncheon that the cruise ship organized and I was very happy with it.

In Puerto Montt I organized a bus tour with Patagonia Austral. Think it was about $70

Ushuaia - I rented a boat from Patagonia Adventure and had others from our Roll Call book seats with me. Went into the harbor, close up to sea lions, seals, birds and we went to one of the islands and did a small hike. It was great.

You can save money by organizing the tours yourself - the vendors appreciate you getting them business.

Any questions, email me at [email protected]

Jane
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Visit my blog www.AirLandandSea.wordpress.com to see how I travel on points and miles as well as travel tips, trip reports and creative ways to earn points and miles.

Sailed Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas 9/2017
Sailed AMA Dagio on the Rhone, Sept. 2016
Sailed HAL Oosterdam, Jan. 2016
Sailed AMA Prima down the Danube June 1. 2015
Sailed HAL Zuiderdam, Jan. 12, 2015
Sailed HAL Oosterdam, Feb. 2013
Sailed HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Feb. 2012
Sailed Celebrity Equinox Eastern Med. 9/2011
Sailed HAL Zuiderdam Panama Sunfarer 2/2011
Sailed Celebrity Century 1/2011
Sailed Avalon Felicity - Rhine River 10/2010
Sailed HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean 2/2010
Sailed Carnival Ectasy 4/2007
Sailed Princess - Alaska 6/2002
Minnesota
2,421 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
We just returned from a Panama Canal cruise that stopped in Puntarenas. We did a tour with Gio Tours (http://www.giotours.com/8-in-1-real-...ca-highlights/) and it was one of the better tours we have done. Our guide, Jesus, was outstanding.

My tour confirmation had stated that we would be in a smaller group (<20) in a van, but the tour was a larger group (~28) in a coach bus. The bus was comfortable and the larger group didn't impact our experience.

On the tour we got to interact with white-faced capuchin monkeys, take a boat ride down a river where we saw crocodiles and many species of birds, a delicious lunch at an outdoor restaurant, and shopping. We were also able to see scarlet macaws and howler monkeys along side the road (and the driver stopped to let us take photos.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Souvenir Memories...a photo blog of our cruises and other travels.

Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam 10/17 Photo Blog of our Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise
Norwegian Sun 5/17 Photo Blog of our Alaska Cruise
Norwegian Pride of America 3/16 Photo Blog of our Hawaiian Cruise from San Francisco
Carnival Glory B2B 3/15 Photo Blog of Carnival Glory Cruise
Coral Princess 5/14 Photo Review of Coral Princess to Alaska, Photo Blog of our Alaska Adventure!
Emerald Princess 12/13 Emerald Princess Review with Photos
Carnival Victory 1/12 Victory Review with Photos
Carnival Legend 8/10 Legend Review with Photos
Carnival Freedom 7/09 Freedom Review with Photos
Carnival Victory 8/05 Victory Review
Carnival Paradise 6/04 Paradise Review
Carnival Paradise 6/02
Ontario - Canada
1,777 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Hello!

Here is a link directly to the “table of contents” for our South America cruise, click on the individual link for the port that you are interested in:
https://baskeytravels.com/2017/11/11...-america-2017/

We did all private excursions (with a focus on birding); but notably Buenos Tours in BA were fantastic for city tours, “doing it ourselves” in Punta Arenas became a highlight when a private company (Solo) pulled the rug from beneath our feet (and 30+ other cruisers), and our private driver/guide in Ushuaia was simply “brilliant”.

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
12,299 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Cabo San Luca, Mexico
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Port Montt, Chile
Punta Arenas, Chile
Ushuaia, Argentina
Montevideo, Uruguay
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Be careful on the soccer match, if it is being held at the stadium close to the La Boca area. We decided to try to walk from La Boca back toward the downtown. BAD idea, we passed a soccer stadium and were immediately in a VERY bad area. Fortunately, after a couple more blocks, we found a taxi. Later we asked the owner of our B&B about the area and she said, yes that is a bad area, you shouldn't go there.
We have done two cruises on Celebrity Infinity that include ports you list.
Here are my detailed reviews of both cruises, with tours that I recommend.

South America
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=248878

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=94024

Ontario - Canada
1,777 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by 4774Papa
Be careful on the soccer match, if it is being held at the stadium close to the La Boca area. We decided to try to walk from La Boca back toward the downtown. BAD idea, we passed a soccer stadium and were immediately in a VERY bad area. Fortunately, after a couple more blocks, we found a taxi. Later we asked the owner of our B&B about the area and she said, yes that is a bad area, you shouldn't go there.
This is where a guide is handy - we started at the Football Stadium and walked to downtown. We felt 100% safe with our guide. I wouldn’t have done it alone, but with Richard - we experienced the unbeaten path with confidence.

With kind regards, Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sherwood Park
3 Posts
Joined Apr 2012

Thank you,

I enjoyed reading your links - very informative
I could imagine telling stories over a glass or two of merlot

Originally posted by 4774Papa
We have done two cruises on Celebrity Infinity that include ports you list.
Here are my detailed reviews of both cruises, with tours that I recommend.

South America
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=248878

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=94024