What to do in Stanley, Falkland Islands??

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:25 PM.
On Cruise ships and in Australia & New Zealand
8,093 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
We have never been to the Falkland Islands before.

I was wondering would you recommend doing here for the day??

If you have been to Stanley, Falkland before, what did you do there for the day??

We are going to be in Stanley in February, What's the temperature going to be like there then?? cool? / cold?

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Next Cruises:

Past Cruises:
16 more cruises +
Queen Elizabeth - 8 Feb 2015
Pacific Pearl - 8 May 2015
Emerald Princess - 19 Sept 2015
Emerald Princess - 26 Sept 2015
Emerald Princess - 17th Oct 2015
Carnival Glory - 25 Oct 2015
Coral Princess - 7 Oct 2015
Pacific Aria - 17 Dec 2015
Queen Mary 2 - 11 March 2016
Sun Princess - 19 April 2016
Queen Victoria - 17 Sept 2016
Emerald Princess - 28 Sept 2016
Pacific Pearl - 30 Jan 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 12 March 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 22 March 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 29 April 2017
Queen Victoria - 8th July 2017
Queen Mary 2 - 4th Aug 2017.
Grand Princess - 15th Sept 2017
Maasdam - 27th Sept 2017
Pacific Aria - 14th Nov 2017.
Sun Princess - 22nd Dec 2017.
Pacific Dawn - 8 April 2018.

My Photos & Video: My Flickr Account | My Youtube channel.
Toronto, Canada
748 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I think most people go see the penguins when they are here. I don't know what the temperature is usually like. The day we were there (in February) it was very warm and we got sunburned. We heard that the weather was so bad the day before that another ship wasn't able to stop there at all. So it might depend. We went to a British place called Bittersweet, just up the road from the port. They charge a small fee for wifi and they have gluten free food. We had a lovely coffee frappe thing and some wifi, then we just walked along the waterfront. We saw lots of interesting things in the water - a wrecked ship, some seals - and we popped into a few shops on the way back. There's a candy shop just down the street from Bittersweet and we bought some chocolate penguins. We paid for them and the girl was nice enough to hold them for us so we didn't have to worry about them melting while we explored. It was a nice unstructured day for us. But most people went off on penguin tours.
South Florida & Shenandoah Valley, VA
6,369 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Even though February is summer, the weather (especially the wind) can vary enough that Port Stanley, a tender port, is at the top of the list of missed ports. We were there in late December 2016 and it had rained for days before our arrival but had thankfully stopped the day before. It was cool and very windy at Volunteer Point.

As AmberCascades mentioned, most passengers are there to see the penguins, especially the King penguins at Volunteer Point. We can recommend Patrick Watts for that excursion. From what I've heard and read Estancia is also a great company. If you have any interest in history - or are just old enough to remember the war between Argentina and the Falkland Islands (UK) in the early 1980s there is lots of history that the guides can share. We found our guide's stories fascinating.
Centerville, Ohio, USA
9,990 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I did a tour out into the countryside to visit the penguins. Small tour van took us to the preserve where we transferred to 4x4 vehicles in order to get to the colonies of the birds. Before returning, the tour included tea and very good cakes in a small cafe built near the area. Very pleasant tour and the guides, both on the tour van and the 4x4 were great. Did not have time to visit Stanley, but it did look like an interesting town just to wander through.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
53 cruises: 32 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii Cruises, Home Lines
Sydney, Australia
237 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
I was in the Falklands on March 6 this year. I was fortunate to have a mild and partly cloudy day with light wind. I went on a tour to Volunteer Point with Estancia Excursions who I can highly recommend. It was one of the best excursions I have ever been on. Our driver had been in the English navy during the Falklands War and told us about his experience and pointed out key battle sites on our way to and from Volunteer Point. The penguins were wonderful to see, particularly the King Penguins. After the tour there was time to walk around Stanley which is a small but cute town. I wrote a review of my cruise on Emerald Princess which is in my signature if you are interested. I had a great day and hope you do too.

Sent from my A1601 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises

Sapphire Princess - Norway Land of the Midnight Sun - June 2019

Past Cruises

Emerald Princess - South America Cape Horn & Strait of Magellan - February 2018
Photo Review https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/s....php?t=2617792
Crown Princess - Baltic Heritage - June 2017
Photo Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/sh....php?t=2517183
Royal Princess - Europe Odyssey (Mediterranean) - June 2016
Diamond Princess - New Zealand and Australia - March 2016
Travelmarvel Sapphire - Romantic Danube - June 2015
Regal Princess - Grand Mediterranean - June 2014
Brazil
374 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
I was on stanley few years ago in january, we went to see pinguins, the war museum and walked around the city which is very interesting. We got good weather in the morning and chilly winds in the afternoon. We had good and decent fish and chips in a small restaurant downtown.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruises:
Silver Galapagos
Silver Spirit - Civitavecchia to Nice
Siver Explorer - Arctic
Silver explorerI - Antarctica, South Georgia and Falklands.
Via Australis - Chilean Fjords.
Real Journey - NZ.
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,890 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Its all about the King Penguins. Book a private excursion to see them at Volunteer Point. It is an awesome experience. You can see lots of photos of our Falkland Islands tour in our review on our website that is linked to in my signature.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
For Cruise Reviews and Pictures, visit our website at www.thepreismans.com
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:
HAL Zaandam - January 2018 - Antarctica/South America
Celebrity Constellation - April 2018 - Arabian Sea & Suez Canal
Celebrity Edge - January 2019 - Eastern Caribbean
Oceania Marina - September 2019 - Amsterdam to Lisbon

6 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
We did a private tour that visited several Falkland Islands War sites, lunch in a B&B and penguins in the afternoon. If you are interested in military history there are several interesting sites to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ontario, Canada
969 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Another vote for Patrick Watts. We had an outstanding day travelling to see the penguins! So good we would do it again if we are ever fortunate enough to return to the Falklands.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Royal Princess (Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale) October 2017
Caribbean Princess (Fort Lauderdale return) January 2018
Celebrity Reflection (Fort Lauderdale return) January 2018
Celebrity Reflection (Fort Lauderdale return - Mardi Gras) February 2018
Emerald Princess (Los Angeles return) October 2018

Completed :: Celebrity Equinox (Western Caribbean) March 2017, Celebrity Eclipse (Southern Caribbean) February 2017, Celebrity Xpedition (Galapagos) September 2016, Celebrity Millennium (Singapore to Hong Kong) February 2016, RCI Mariner (Singapore return) February 2016, Sinorama Gold 8 (Yangtze River) November 2015, Golden Princess (Buenos Aires to Los Angeles) - March 2014, Royal Princess (Venice to Fort Lauderdale)- October 2013 , Celebrity Solstice (Perth to Sydney) - February 2013, Celebrity Solstice (Auckland to Sydney) - January 2013, Grand Princess (Transatlantic) - November 2011, Movenpick Royal Lily (Nile River) - October 2011, Pacific Princess(Rome to Venice) - July 2010, Celebrity Solstice(Carribean) - March 2010, Carribean Princess (Carribean) - March 2009, Azamara Quest(Black Sea)-July 2008, RCI (AOS)(Carribean) - March 2008, Uniworld(Duoro River) - July 2007, Carnival Destiny (Carribean) - March 2007, Celebrity Century (Baltic) - July 2006, Celebrity Millennium (Med) - July 2005, Coral Princess (Alaska) - July 2003
Atlántida, Uruguay
184 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We were not that interested in more penguins so we went on the bus to Gypsy Cove and walked about - there were some penguins in the distance. We then went to the museum which was quite interesting, saw the whalebone arch and went into the Cathedral. We walked around town and had lunch in a nice pub - the Voctory Bar and bought some diddle dee jam and saw the berries growing wild. The local gardens were great- we saw some unusual plants and lots of vegetables being grown. We loved the Falklands!
Syracuse, New York
51,606 Posts
Joined May 2000
Every chance I get, I'm going to go to Volunteer Point, have been there 8 times. This is the only place on your itinerary to see a 2000 pair rookery of King Penguins. 2 other rookeries also there, Gentoos and Magellanic. the transit is part of the tour.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
96 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I was there two years ago in Feb. It was bone chilling wind. I thought a long sleeve shirt and windbreaker would be enough, I was mistaken. Penguins, that bar in town and it is kind of neat to see all of the land mines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Brett

07/10/05 Alaska aboard the Sapphire Princess
02/14/07 Panama Canal aboard the Coral Princess
02/15/08 Eastern Caribbean aboard the Emerald Princess
10/10/09 Mexican Riviera aboard the Sapphire Princess
02/25/11 Southern Caribbean aboard the Celebrity Millenium
04/03/12 Not So Mexico Mexican Riviera aboard the Star Princess
05/04/13 Mediterranian aboard the Carnival Legend
03/29/14 Southern Caribbean aboard Celebrity Summit
04/06/15 Eastern Caribbean aboard Norwegian Pearl
01/30/16 South America aboard Norwegian Sun
12/07/18 Panama Canal/South America aboard Norwegian Sun
On Cruise ships and in Australia & New Zealand
8,093 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by originolsin
I was there two years ago in Feb. It was bone chilling wind. I thought a long sleeve shirt and windbreaker would be enough, I was mistaken. Penguins, that bar in town and it is kind of neat to see all of the land mines.
Would a rain jacket and a jumper be better?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Next Cruises:

Past Cruises:
16 more cruises +
Queen Elizabeth - 8 Feb 2015
Pacific Pearl - 8 May 2015
Emerald Princess - 19 Sept 2015
Emerald Princess - 26 Sept 2015
Emerald Princess - 17th Oct 2015
Carnival Glory - 25 Oct 2015
Coral Princess - 7 Oct 2015
Pacific Aria - 17 Dec 2015
Queen Mary 2 - 11 March 2016
Sun Princess - 19 April 2016
Queen Victoria - 17 Sept 2016
Emerald Princess - 28 Sept 2016
Pacific Pearl - 30 Jan 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 12 March 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 22 March 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 29 April 2017
Queen Victoria - 8th July 2017
Queen Mary 2 - 4th Aug 2017.
Grand Princess - 15th Sept 2017
Maasdam - 27th Sept 2017
Pacific Aria - 14th Nov 2017.
Sun Princess - 22nd Dec 2017.
Pacific Dawn - 8 April 2018.

My Photos & Video: My Flickr Account | My Youtube channel.