Cell Phone Use out of Baltimore

Scoreguitar

Hi Everyone,

I am leaving on a cruise out of Baltimore the 30th and was wondering about cell phone use. I know the 1st night we will be sailing on the bay. Will there be cell phone service available there or will I be charged to use the ships service. I searched, but couldn't find any info on the subject. Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I am leaving on a cruise out of Baltimore the 30th and was wondering about cell phone use. I know the 1st night we will be sailing on the bay. Will there be cell phone service available there or will I be charged to use the ships service. I searched, but couldn't find any info on the subject. Thanks

It doesn't matter how close you are to land..once at sea...the service will be "Cellular At Sea" and you will be paying for that. Have you considered buying a cruise package with your cell provider instead ?...This works out great we use this option every time we cruise.

Thanks for your reply. I'll turn the phone off once we leave. I won't need to have it on, but I was going to use it until we left the bay if it was an option.

Just make sure it hasn't switched to Cellular At Sea yet before trying to use it one last time. You can then put it on Airplane Mode if you wish.

You're very welcome...enjoy your cruise.

I'm pretty sure that cell towers on ships are SUPPOSED to be shut off until in International waters (i.e.; 3 miles off shore.) If true, domestic service should be available till after midnight.

\]

That being said, the bay is pretty wide and it's possible that service may only be working on deck (vs inside) for much of the passage.

Aloha,

John

I'm pretty sure that cell towers on ships are SUPPOSED to be shut off until in International waters (i.e.; 3 miles off shore.) If true, domestic service should be available till after midnight.

\]

That being said, the bay is pretty wide and it's possible that service may only be working on deck (vs inside) for much of the passage.

Aloha,

John

Just a note that international waters do not start until 12 miles offshore.

Hi Everyone,

You will be fine in the bay if you get a cell signal. The ships service can't be turned on until out in the Atlantic in international waters.

Edited by Charles4515

It doesn't matter how close you are to land..once at sea...the service will be "Cellular At Sea" and you will be paying for that. Have you considered buying a cruise package with your cell provider instead ?...This works out great we use this option every time we cruise.

You have not considered that the OP is asking about the Chesapeake Bay. The bay is US waters. Being from the west coast you probably are not familiar with our Delaware/Maryland/Virginia geography or cruise out of the Port of Baltimore. Cellular at Sea does not get turned on until 12 miles out to sea and in international waters. Usually the ship reaches the Atlantic around midnight.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for your reply. I'll turn the phone off once we leave. I won't need to have it on, but I was going to use it until we left the bay if it was an option.

Assuming you go to bed before midnight you will be fine if you turn it off before turning in for the night. You can turn it back on when you return

You have not considered that the OP is asking about the Chesapeake Bay. The bay is US waters. Being from the west coast you probably are not familiar with our Delaware/Maryland/Virginia geography or cruise out of the Port of Baltimore. Cellular at Sea does not get turned on until 12 miles out to sea and in international waters. Usually the ship reaches the Atlantic around midnight.

My suggestion was to check and make sure Cellular at Sea wasn't the carrier yet before making a call...hardly makes what I posted wrong...Thanks for your expert geographical advice though.

My suggestion was to check and make sure Cellular at Sea wasn't the carrier yet before making a call...hardly makes what I posted wrong...Thanks for your expert geographical advice though.

Your answer was not the right answer to the OP’s question about being charged for cell phone service in the bay sailing out of Baltimore. It was not expert geographical advice, it is a simple geographical fact that the Chesapeake Bay is US waters.

Just got off the Grandeur this week. We had Verizon cell service(our carrier) all the way down the bay to Norfolk.

We have cruised out of Baltimore four times and this has been our experience.

When I was on the Pride we had local cell service until the open ocean, we also paid sales tax on all purchases even free drink plans until we were in the open ocean.

Was on the Grandeur last week and paid no sales tax on any drinks.

Based on mariner's reports for the CB water & other sources ... (the Bay is about 5 miles wide at the narrowest and as much as 30 miles as it opened up toward Norfork toward the Atlantic) - VZW has the best signals, followed by AT&T and then T-Mobile, which isn't a surprise. RF signals bounce off waters along the river, extending coverage at far better distance vs. on land - voice & SMS/text would be the last to fade & go away ...

Signal might drop & fade from 4G to 3G at spots from coverage in less populated land area, depending on the antenna towers & distance relative to the ship, heading out - starboard side probably get a better signal, especially on/near the outside & higher decks and on the balcony vs. port side (reversed is true heading back into BWI's Inner Harbor. ) Another variable, user's choice of device(s) and its frequency/LTE band coverage - i.e. 700 Mhz vs. 1900/2100 Mhz.

Thanks everyone for all the answers! I've been out on the bay fishing out of Norfolk before and had cell service with Verizon, but just wanted to make sure the ship wasn't going to charge us as we were leaving in the bay. Thanks again for all the replies!

Does "Cellular at Sea" turn on automatically or do you need to agree to receive it on your cell phone?

Your phone will roam automatically to Cellular at Sea if Cellular at Sea is turned on by your ship and it is the strongest signal, and your domestic carrier has an agreement with Cellular at Sea as a roaming partner. If your phone automatically scans for roaming partners. If you make or accept a voice call, send a text when roaming on Cellular at Sea you will be charged. If you have data roaming on you ( data is off by default) you can be charged for data. Check the network indicator on your phone screen. It will show if your phone is roaming off of your domestic carrier. Some carriers send a text message when international roaming and roaming charges.

Edited by Charles4515