Fireworks on July 4th

Melady

2 summers ago (July 2015) we were on the Sky and left Nassau harbor about 5:30 - 6PM on the evening of July 4th.

The ship then positioned itself a couple of miles offshore Atlantis and waited for Atlantis's 9PM 20 minute fireworks show. It was quite impressive with a big grand finale and there was a hoppin' deck party on the Sky with red, white and blue decorations.

This summer, the Sky will be in Cuba, docked in Havana harbor overnight on Tuesday July 4th and I highly doubt passengers will be seeing a local fireworks extravaganza.

• Haha 1

No fire at all even on birthday cakes!

Incorrect. NCL small ships have open fire BBQs on deck for lunch.

d7abfcc400f7efdb3617c0820526de1a.jpg

Nope...the ship is NOT American...and Independence day is an AMERICAN holiday. The ship's don't observe it. Nor do other countries. They may put little flags on the dining room tables..who knows?

Incorrect. NCL ships observe the 4th of July (American Independence Day) with decorations and festivities. And as someone pointed out, on Memorial Day, the Breakaway held a gathering honoring US Veterans.

4th of July on the Jewel

b98b4434727b3babb32783c3475e4d18.jpg

Memorial Day on the Breakaway

61f98333be85db7dc86f9da55df93b74.jpg

Incorrect. NCL small ships have open fire BBQs on deck for lunch.

d7abfcc400f7efdb3617c0820526de1a.jpg

Incorrect. NCL ships observe the 4th of July (American Independence Day) with decorations and festivities. And as someone pointed out, on Memorial Day, the Breakaway held a gathering honoring US Veterans.

4th of July on the Jewel

b98b4434727b3babb32783c3475e4d18.jpg

Memorial Day on the Breakaway

61f98333be85db7dc86f9da55df93b74.jpg

Let's not forget all the lighting of cigarettes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be on the Getaway, docked in Saint Petersburg (Russia) on July 4th. Not to offend anyone, but as an American, I would like to celebrate the holiday in some way.

I would too!! I think that it is interesting that last year on the Getaway, the crew had a July 4th party for the American cast and crew. They have really cool parties. My son said that it was a lot of fun and interesting to watch crew from other countries plan the party and celebrate with the Americans!

Also regarding flames, the chefs at Teppanyaki do not use flames either (eg they do not set a "volcano", made out of onion rings, on fire or pour oil on the grill and set it on fire like they do on land).

We will be on the Getaway, docked in Saint Petersburg (Russia) on July 4th. Not to offend anyone, but as an American, I would like to celebrate the holiday in some way.

Since you don't want to offend anyone, why would you want to throw your Americanism in the face of a host country? I can't think of anything more offensive.

I feel really sorry for the both of you. Living in this country and calling out someone for being Patriotic, while sitting snug behind the safety of your keyboards. On Independence Day I will do something to celebrate this holiday and the freedoms MOST of us hold dear.

I am very patriotic, I am however, well travelled and know better to than to draw attention to myself when in a foreign country. What one does inside their cabin is their business, but when in someone else's country one should follow the old adage "When in Rome.....".

Is somebody stopping you from celebrating? Or does your American-centric worldview require that everyone around you participate in your celebration?

That's kind of what I was thinking. The poster can celebrate or not, whatever they want. The ship doesn't have to do it for them. :rolleyes:

Most Americans on the 4th of July just drink beer, grill some meat and maybe light off a few sparklers. It's not like they sit around talking about the freedoms they hold so dear. It's not that dramatic.

Times have changed a lot over the years. Only a handful of my neighbors even put out flags on Independence Day. Kind of sad to see actually.

Times have changed a lot over the years. Only a handful of my neighbors even put out flags on Independence Day. Kind of sad to see actually.
Still alive and well in my neighborhood, as almost everyone has a flag out for not only Fourth Of July, but Memorial Day, Flag Day, etc.

Many of my neighbors from Canada also have their flags out on their patriotic holidays.

Actually before relationships with Russia went down they even had celebration of 4th of July there. Of course sponsored by US embassy. Now I am not so sure....

However there will be some celebrations even on Cunard, which I found pretty interesting considering QM2 is a British ship ;). So I believe other ships will have something like this too.

Actually those of us who served did so exactly for this reason so that they could celebrate as they damn well please. Be it drinking beer, Pepsi, Coke, Mt Dew, or ice water. Be it eating grilled meat, salad, or potato chips. Be it lighting sparklers, fishing, listening to music of their choice, or not doing a damn thing. Talk is cheap.

Thank you for your service :)