8:50 AM Wednesday flight out of Seattle, no cruise ship, airport arrival time?

Straitlover

Staying in Seattle two nights post cruise in June, so we will be flying out on a Wed. morning. Would arriving at airport by 6:50 am probably be OK? We (3 adult ladies) have a long travel day back home after 5 days land, 7 day cruise then 3 days post cruise, so hoping to sleep as late as we can. :) We do not have TSA Pre-check.

I'd give it the full two hours advance. Southwest queues can be very long, as can security queues during the summer/cruise season. Better safe than sorry. Worst case is you have time for a coffee airside.

I'd err on the side of a full two hours. Multiple checkpoints should be open by then, but I've personally experienced a 50-minute delay to get through TSA (I had 2200 steps by the time I got to the checkpoint...). The great thing about SEA is that all checkpoints are in a row, and all gates are mutually accessible, so you can go to whichever checkpoint has the shortest line (fair warning, one of the checkpoints, #4 I think, is Pre-check ONLY), and once you're through security, you have access to all areas of the secure side (every store, every coffee spot, etc.).

Forgot to say - this is a domestic flight in case that matters (SEA - RDU on Southwest).

Pay close attention to your flights availability. Southwest has a lot of its Fleet grounded doing inspections account of them blowing engines up. They are currently canceling flights because of it.

I'd give it the full two hours advance. Southwest queues can be very long, as can security queues during the summer/cruise season. Better safe than sorry. Worst case is you have time for a coffee airside.

Not sure Chinese pigtails have anything to do with this.

Pay close attention to your flights availability. Southwest has a lot of its Fleet grounded doing inspections account of them blowing engines up. They are currently canceling flights because of it.

Let's cut out the drama, please. One engine blew up, not multiple. They're canceling <2% of daily flights and incurring delays on <15% of daily flights, and it improves daily. The mandate is to complete the inspections within 20 days, and the OP was asking about a flight in June.

Let's cut out the drama, please. One engine blew up, not multiple. They're canceling <2% of daily flights and incurring delays on <15% of daily flights, and it improves daily. The mandate is to complete the inspections within 20 days, and the OP was asking about a flight in June.

Why are you being dishonest? This engine has a history of problems and saying only one blew up is ignorant. https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/04/18/investigators-consider-engine-wear-in-southwest-jet-tragedy/

First, the OP is asking about June. Most likely the inspections will be done by then.

Second, on Sunday, Southwest canceled 1% of their flights for this issue. 1% doesn't indicate "lots of their fleet grounded".

Third, the entire fleet (not even all of the 737-700s Southwest operates have the engine involved) doesn't have the engines involved, and not the hours on engines to require special attention.

Lets not over cook this.

Why are you being dishonest? This engine has a history of problems and saying only one blew up is ignorant. https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/04/18/investigators-consider-engine-wear-in-southwest-jet-tragedy/

Why are you being so dramatic? "History of problems?" Seriously? Go do the math. The rate of engine failures for this engine, contained or uncontained, is by no means statistically high or abnormal. If you were to count the number of engines in operation, look at the number of cycles and hours of use across those engines, and count the failures, I think you'll find that it's a fantastic record overall. Sad that someone died and that two notable failures are in the news, but still, your drama is unwarranted here. This has and does happen to other makes/models of engines; check out the American 767 in 2016 which had an engine fail during the takeoff roll, and which launched shrapnel over 3000' into a UPS warehouse, and the nature of the failure meant the fire burned for hours, so much so that they had to chop off the wing to tow the aircraft off the runway. The reality is that these inspections still aren't perfect, and that's why a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of usage cycles have resulted in these failures.

I'm sure you've already contemplated whether Southwest is canceling flights so that people notice that they're doing these inspections.

First, the OP is asking about June. Most likely the inspections will be done by then.

Second, on Sunday, Southwest canceled 1% of their flights for this issue. 1% doesn't indicate "lots of their fleet grounded". Lets not over cook this.

And let's not pretend we're sitting in Southwest West operations as the data comes in either

Second, on Sunday, Southwest canceled 1% of their flights for this issue. 1% doesn't indicate "lots of their fleet grounded". Lets not over cook this.

And let's not pretend we're sitting in Southwest West operations as the data comes in either

Thanks for the info everyone. My flight is 6/20, so I was thinking that all the inspections would be done way before then.

7:30 or later would be a little too too close for my comfort. :) I had a flight out of RDU before all the TSA crackdowns (late 90's I think) where I arrived w/ an hr to go, and the line through security was soooo long! They were getting ready to close the doors when I got to the gate (ran there once I got through the detectors, luckily it was not far down the walkway). Not fun!

Thanks for the info everyone. My flight is 6/20, so I was thinking that all the inspections would be done way before then.

7:30 or later would be a little too too close for my comfort. :) I had a flight out of RDU before all the TSA crackdowns (late 90's I think) where I arrived w/ an hr to go, and the line through security was soooo long! They were getting ready to close the doors when I got to the gate (ran there once I got through the detectors, luckily it was not far down the walkway). Not fun!

They probably will be done by then but at this point we don't know how this is going to shape up those engines are amongst the most used engines in the world

If it were me, I would get there early so I could relax and eat a crab, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich from Ivar's Seafood Bar at SeaTac - yum!

Roz

If it were me, I would get there early so I could relax and eat a crab, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich from Ivar's Seafood Bar at SeaTac - yum!

Roz

Yum! Bet that's better than whatever the hotel will be serving in their free breakfast. :D

We stayed in Seattle a couple post cruise this past September prior to our flight back to CLT.

JMHO but I would probably get to the airport no later than 1.5 hours prior to your flight back to NC and have some breakfast in the terminal prior to your flight and relax.

I'd err on the side of a full two hours. Multiple checkpoints should be open by then, but I've personally experienced a 50-minute delay to get through TSA (I had 2200 steps by the time I got to the checkpoint...). The great thing about SEA is that all checkpoints are in a row, and all gates are mutually accessible, so you can go to whichever checkpoint has the shortest line (fair warning, one of the checkpoints, #4 I think, is Pre-check ONLY), and once you're through security, you have access to all areas of the secure side (every store, every coffee spot, etc.).

Yes, screening checkpoint 4 is precheck only.

Number 3 is open 24/7/365 the others have hours of operation.

Number 1 is also open the least frequently.