Space Saver type bags??

PictureNana

I'm looking at Space Saver type bags for my upcoming cruise next month. Ones you roll the air out, not ones you have to use a vacuum. Are these necessary? Do you use them? I've never used them before. In the past I have rolled my clothes and used packing cubes. This has worked for me in the past, but I'm overwhelmed by all the layers we need to bring to Alaska. Any thoughts on using space saver bags? Any recommendations on a certain brand that people like. I see lots of options on Amazon. Thanks for any help.

I started using them when we had a 31 day LA to Rio cruise where the weather ranged from 110 degrees in Rio to the 40s in Tierra del Fuego. They worked as advertised and we had no problem getting jackets, fleece, multiple pairs of shoes, lightweight clothes, heavyweight clothes, and lots of toiletries in our suitcases. Next week we are taking the entire family on an Alaskan cruise (round trip Seattle) and one of the cruise gifts I gave our 2 kids, spouses and granddaughter was space saver bags. Another gift was a luggage scale so they can make sure they don't go over their weight limit! The clothes weigh the same with or without the bags but with the bags you need to be careful not to fill all the 'extra' space with weighty things.

I bought the bags on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Storage-Bags-Clothes-Compression/dp/B06WGTNF6Z/). I've used them multiple times with no issues other than breaking one or two of the clips used to seal them. Each bag comes with its own clip when in reality you only need one clip per package so you have plenty of extras.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by capriccio

I'm looking at Space Saver type bags for my upcoming cruise next month. Ones you roll the air out, not ones you have to use a vacuum. Are these necessary? Do you use them? I've never used them before. In the past I have rolled my clothes and used packing cubes. This has worked for me in the past, but I'm overwhelmed by all the layers we need to bring to Alaska. Any thoughts on using space saver bags? Any recommendations on a certain brand that people like. I see lots of options on Amazon. Thanks for any help.
I can't travel without space bags, they are so useful! Not only do the travel bags reduce the space my clothes take up in a suitcase, they keep everything organized if I am living out of it rather than unpacking. AND, if I am flying, and my bag gets inspected by TSA, they don't usually open the travel bag so my stuff doesn't get tossed around. Also, great for coming back home with dirty clothes sealed up! The only downside is you can potentially fill your bag to the point that it's overweight for airline travel.

I also love the Itzy Ritzy brand of fabric zippered bags for toiletries, makeup, chargers, etc. Designed for diaper bags, the linings are waterproof so if anything leaks, it stays contained. There's a range of sizes, from change purse size up to one 11" x 17" they come in darling prints. I have a bunch of them, everything that's not in a travel bag goes in one of these zipper bags.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

We use them for the past 3 cruises and love them, they save us space and i even brought my pillow the last time! we will be using them again for our alaska trip trying to keep heavy stuff in our carry on suitcases and clothes and lighter stuff in checked suitcases.

• 2 weeks later...

I love them but have moved to packing cubes for the most part. But they are also great for dirty laundry. Here is what I recommend:

Will your suitcase definitely never be over 50 lbs and you want to take as much as possible so you don't feel like you had to make tough decisions on what to take ? Answer: Space saver bags

Is your bag heavy and you need to cut back but want to stay organized and not have your suitcase be a hige mess? Answer:packing cubes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Came home from a trip once with the entire contents of our bags soaked! Bags had been left out in the rain at the airport when there was a thunderstorm (Cabo San Lucas). Fortunately, we were done with vacation. Ever since, I have used compression bags both ways. I put complete outfits in the bag, use others for dirty clothes. It makes living out of the suitcase much easier! Also easy to cross pack with my family.