Sneakers?

ShinyHappy

Planning my packing list for my first cruise, southern Caribbean on RCI. Trying to pack light. I see so many packing lists include sneakers, and I'm wondering if they're really a must? I wear good walking open toe sandals all summer, including hiking in national parks, so I don't need them if it's just for walking. I find sneakers too hot, and besides want to show off my pedi! :)But are there things I'd have to pass on if I don't have closed toe lace up shoes with me? If you have brought them in the past, how much did you use them? Thanks!

Edited by ShinyHappy

At home I only wear sneakers when I'm exercising, so no, I don't travel with them. In warm climates I have great walking sandals. In cool or wet climates (most of our travel) I have goretex walking shoes and various boots with great soles & arch support, my own personal requirements......

Horseback riding requires closed toe shoes/boots. Certain factory visits also require close toed shoes. Can't think of anything else I've done on my travels that required close toes.....

One reason why I often end up bringing sneakers is because I deal with feet swelling issues with travel. Air travel, long road trips, etc. It's more than the typical bloat that people often talk about with relation to a cruise vacation...something that I have also experienced. But frankly, I can deal with feet swelling issues with any on your feet intensive vacation (i.e. WDW). Mine is a circulation issue as much as hydration, quality of food, etc.

When my feet swell to a certain extent...even my adjustable sandals (Tevas) feel awful and binding in a negative way and sneakers are way more comfortable which sounds counterintuitive but is the truth for my experience. I can deal with a more thong shape (i.e. yoga slings) but these aren't good for walking. I don't work outside the house so it's challenging for me to "get my steps in" so walking back and forth on a cruise ship is a lot more than my day to day so often I appreciate having my sneakers as my old reliables for continuing to be able to be happy on my feet while traveling.

I don't recall ever having to HAVE sneakers while on a cruise. It might just be people prefer them or like to change it up to give their feet a break. I am a flip flops person - can do a whole week at Disney with just one pair ;) But lately I've found it is nice to rotate my shoes, it really do make me feet feel better. I don't like regular sneakers but will bring along a pair of Converse. I do not like to dress up, nor do I like heels. If I wear nicer shoes at dinner you bet I am running back to our cabin and changing into my Chucks or flip flops before the shows. I think that is the only time I wear them, other than on travel days since I don't like to wear sandals at the airport.

Only thing I can think of is double check what excursions/activities you are doing and see if any require closed toe shoes. Our next cruise is on the breakaway and I think I read that you need closed toe shoes for the sports complex rope course.

I wear good walking open toe sandals all summer, including hiking in national parks, so I don't need them if it's just for walking. I find sneakers too hot, and besides want to show off my pedi! :)

I am the same way.

No to sneakers to wear anywhere but the ship's gym on a Caribbean or Mexico cruise. Most people wear sandals, as you have suggested. Sneakers mean socks and that's just too much, IMO. Unless you are going to use the gym on board, I say do not pack them. That's valuable weight and space they are taking up.

Have fun. :D

Hi,:) no sneakers on a Caribbean cruise for me either. I have seen plenty of folks who do bring them so it really depends on the person. I have seen many people who walk daily and they are definitely in an "athletic shoe".

But you asked if they are "a must"......for some people they are, for others not so much.

I took a cruise to Europe last month and definitely brought them on that trip....it was a VERY port intensive and I did ALOT of walking so my walking shoes went with me on that trip for sure. But when I go to the Caribbean I am normally in sandals:)

Edited by Lois R

I just about live in Sneakers ( ie very good walking shoes for me ). I travel in them to avoid packing them. Only thing I know for sure are zipline type activities need closed toe shoes. I too have good walking Teva’s and I go back and forth depending how much walking and or support I think I will need.

I always bring some kind of closed toe walking shoe. In the past it had been a clunky pair of athletic shoe. More recently it has been either sketches or converse. Which I still refer to as sneakers.

I find I get better support from them and feet aren't exposed to the elements . I am looking for a decent pair of open shoes like a sandle as I do like for my feet to breath a bit. But fashion vs comfort is always a battle

I've NEVER brought sneakers on a cruise....The only time I wear them in the summer is to cut grass...and that ain't happening on a ship! If you plan to "work out" in the gym...you will need them...otherwise, wear your normal, everyday shoes, sandals, flip flops, etc..

At home I only wear sneakers when I'm exercising, so no, I don't travel with them. In warm climates I have great walking sandals. In cool or wet climates (most of our travel) I have goretex walking shoes and various boots with great soles & arch support, my own personal requirements......

Horseback riding requires closed toe shoes/boots. Certain factory visits also require close toed shoes. Can't think of anything else I've done on my travels that required close toes.....

I am the same way, I brought a pair of sneakers to Greece because I wanted to take a horseback ride, otherwise I only wore them for the airplane (since they were my biggest shoes!) If I hadn't booked that ride specifically, I would definitely not have needed them. Wore walking sandals by Naturalizer through hours of hiking around ruins in Athens, Dalyan River, Santorini and Delphi. Wear what you like to wear and show off that Pedi!

Thank so much for all your input, really appreciate it! Funny how people can be so different - I'd much rather be in sandals when my feet are swelling (like on the plane) so my toes have room to wiggle. I may go to the gym, hadn't thought of that, so I may pack them after all.

I usually bring sneakers because I like to walk on the ship--the walking sandals just aren't that comfy for me, and I hate how they look. I am now bringing the Sketcher type slip ons. I wear them on the plane and mostly just for walking on board for exercise.

I don't normally wear them on tours unless closed toe shoes are required for some reason, like zip lines. But,I think the walking sandels with the closed toe are fine for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Closed-toe shoes were required for a Chef's Table dinner on Princess because a galley tour was included. I had to buy a pair of water shoes on board as they were the only closed-toed ones available. Looked kinda funny with my little black dress!

• 1 month later...