Leaving Friday 31st-Travel plugs?

doreman

Will we need special outlet adapters while we are in hotels in Prague, Nuremberg and Budapest ? I am asking because of charging our phones and ipads and other items. We are going Scenic Tours RUBY out of Nuremberg going to Budapest. Anyone out there on this cruise? If so, we'll see you on board.

caution

some are adapters

and some are adapter & voltage converters

most of Europe runs on 220v and we (USA) are 110v

an adaptor convertor might not suffice

guess which one costs less . . .

guess what happens if you plug your 110v device into a converted 220v outlet . . .

Modern electronics almost always can do the voltage conversion on their own - just need the plug adaptor. If all the OP is plugging in is computer & phone, likely won't need the converter....

ALMOST

if not, you need the tool to put the smoke back into the device . .

What do you travel with that doesn't auto-convert? We don't have anything in that category, so adapters are all we need (to purchase, or to lug around).

A lot of flat irons and strong hair dryers don't automatically convert. I know, I shorted out our wing of the Paris Hilton...not once, but twice...:o

I had to buy specific dual voltage appliances on Amazon. :D

For smart phones and an iPad you will only need an adapter. Check your "other items" for their voltage. If they read 110/220, then you're all set.

Here's a tip. Instead of buying a bunch of adapters for each device, simply buy one and bring a 6' extension cord with multiple connections. Usually hotel electrical outlets are in the most inaccessible places imaginable. This way you only have to access it once.;)

Doreman-- not to worry, it is as I mentioned earlier--on page 15 of the travel docs that Scenic sent us., they say that your cabin & bathroom are equipped with standard European prong electrical connectors plus one Australian type power point. Plus they say that such connectors are available on board for a small deposit to be returned when you return their plugs. You're good to go!

What do you travel with that doesn't auto-convert? We don't have anything in that category, so adapters are all we need (to purchase, or to lug around).

For me - nothing! I have 220 euro plug hair dryer & curling iron (these days I usually leave the dryer at home and just pack the curling iron) but otherwise everything converts on its own.

For women, though, hair appliances tend to be the most important "culprit":p

As above with the plug sockets on Scenic there is also an iPod/iPhone charger in the cabin also a hairdryer. I must admit I did not check if their was a USB connection on the TV which also doubles up as a Mac computer with wireless keyboard and mouse.

Have a great cruise CA

But the OP is asking about hotels they will be staying in, and that is where most cruisers run into an issue, not on the ship.

As one poster said, some hair appliances are not dual voltage, and so not only need the plug adapter, but will also need a voltage converter. I now have both dual voltage flat irons and curling irons to avoid that issue.

Since the OP is leaving this Friday, getting adapter plugs from an online retailer is not really feasible. Most retail stores who sell luggage (Macy's, Kohl's, even Walmart), will have adapter plugs in that dept. with the accessories like the travel straps and luggage tags. Also, if you are a AAA member, many larger ones have a travel store that carries the adapter plugs as well.

Happy travels!

Becki