I'm going on a cruise, and I'm bringing something that...

mistyinca

Ziplock bags!!! I will never go on a cruise without them. Gallon sized to put wet swimsuits in when packing to go home (because they never dry completely since the last time we use them). All of the little stuff that collects goes into baggies. There are about a million good reasons to have them!

• 5 months later...

I'm picky, and the tea in the "buffet" was never very good to me, and I would mix that with lemonade just to make it drinkable. I bring the Cold Brew tea bags, make it in my room, and have good iced tea, whenever I want some. Better for me than lots of soda, although we bring that too. I always way over pack and bring a sample of every "remedy" I can think of-for dry skin, to wrinkle release spray, oxy clean for stains-- I know the luggage stewards aren't too happy to see all of our luggage, for two people- I bring enough for a family of 4- UGH. Here I am picking up some ideas for even MORE things I need to pack for our upcoming cruise. So glad my hubby is a "good sport" about it all-LOL

Finally!

I believe I have found the elusive power strip without surge protection. I just ordered it from amazon...

https://amzn.com/B003625068

[ATTACH]395898[/ATTACH]

Also purchased this alarm clock:

https://amzn.com/B01HM9SOD6

I don't know why folks think that its hard to find a power strip without surge protection. Virtually any power strip in this $4-6 range, from Walmart or Home Depot will be identical to this one. What is hard to find is a power strip that combines power outlets with USB ports that is not surge protected.

That USB hub you love , has a surge suppressor and is a fire hazard. please don't bring it.

I don't think it is. It doesn't have the 3rd prong that is required for surge protection which is what is needed for it to be called as such. At least that is what I have understood from Chengkp75's previous very informative posts. If I'm incorrect I hope he will clarify further.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I don't think it is. It doesn't have the 3rd prong that is required for surge protection which is what is needed for it to be called as such. At least that is what I have understood from Chengkp75's previous very informative posts. If I'm incorrect I hope he will clarify further.

then the manufacturer is misrepresenting it

MultiProtect Safety System

Surge protection, temperature control and more advanced safety features keep you and your devices safe.

then the manufacturer is misrepresenting it

Could be. If I remember correctly, Chengkp75 had said before that in order for it to be a true surge protector, it needs the ground plug. I have read just about all the threads on this subject and that is what I took away from them. Again, I hope he comes on here to say for sure. Quite frankly, I seem to get more confused on the subject the more I read about it.

Could be. If I remember correctly, Chengkp75 had said before that in order for it to be a true surge protector, it needs the ground plug. I have read just about all the threads on this subject and that is what I took away from them. Again, I hope he comes on here to say for sure. Quite frankly, I seem to get more confused on the subject the more I read about it.

And yes, I've tried to get Anker to answer questions about their USB hubs, but they don't seem to want to discuss surge protection. I can't say whether this unit has a two prong or three prong plug, but without a three prong plug, it is not surge protected. I believe that many manufacturers use the term surge protection as it is a commonly (mis)understood term, when in fact what they are talking about is "voltage regulation" which shuts off the input power when it gets too high, to prevent the circuitry from converting this higher than normal AC voltage to a higher than normal DC output voltage. However, if this unit was to be hit with a lightning strike, very likely that amount of voltage would bridge the "voltage gap" to burn out the output circuitry and send this down the wire to your electronics. Surge protectors are rated in terms of "joules of protection" (the amount of energy (not voltage but energy) that the surge protector can absorb before failing), or "clamping voltage" (the voltage at which it dumps the power voltage to ground). If your USB does not say anything about these ratings, it is not surge protected, but voltage regulated.

As to manufacturers misrepresenting items, this happens all the time.

Edited by chengkp75

And yes, I've tried to get Anker to answer questions about their USB hubs, but they don't seem to want to discuss surge protection. I can't say whether this unit has a two prong or three prong plug, but without a three prong plug, it is not surge protected. I believe that many manufacturers use the term surge protection as it is a commonly (mis)understood term, when in fact what they are talking about is "voltage regulation" which shuts off the input power when it gets too high, to prevent the circuitry from converting this higher than normal AC voltage to a higher than normal DC output voltage. However, if this unit was to be hit with a lightning strike, very likely that amount of voltage would bridge the "voltage gap" to burn out the output circuitry and send this down the wire to your electronics. Surge protectors are rated in terms of "joules of protection" (the amount of energy (not voltage but energy) that the surge protector can absorb before failing), or "clamping voltage" (the voltage at which it dumps the power voltage to ground). If your USB does not say anything about these ratings, it is not surge protected, but voltage regulated.

As to manufacturers misrepresenting items, this happens all the time.

Thank you for your response. The pictures show that it has a 2 prong plug.

HI Mistyinca :)

My cool item to bring along when sailing is probably considered a little outside

of the box.

We bring a cruise journal.

After our very 1st voyage almost 33 years ago, my wife & I wrote down everything

we experienced when we got home. From our 2nd voyage on, until the present,

we have kept cruise journals.

Prior to going to sleep each evening we discuss the days events, people we met, etc.. etc..and

log them down in the journal.

We have been doing this for over three decades now and have many journals.

The strolls down memory lane are wonderful. In some ways more entertaining

than the photo's or video we have collected over the years.

Even picking out/purchasing the journal prior to the cruise has become

a fun task in itself.

To us, it is another way, an interesting way, to save and also relive the

voyage...

Have a terrific day!

:)

I started doing trip journals on our first cruise. I honestly hadn't thought of it until I found a journal my husband's grandmother had written on her QE2 cruise. It was so fun to read!!!

I always bring my Belkin 3-Outlet SurgePlus and have never had any problems with it, nor has it been confiscated. It's perfect for extra outlets in the room!

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-SurgePlus-Protector-BST300/dp/B00ATZJ5YS

615t7%2B2m8vL._SL1500_.jpg

I also bring a 10" fan from O2 Cool for noise when I sleep (a fan is the only thing that will put me to sleep). Mine is an older model than this, but you get the idea. It takes batteries but we plug it up and again, have never had problems.

https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL%C2%AE-10-inch-Portable-Fan-Adapter/dp/B00ATSHMIQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476143389&sr=8-2&keywords=02+cool+fan

51tdEmH7ruL._SY300_.jpg

I always bring my Belkin 3-Outlet SurgePlus and have never had any problems with it, nor has it been confiscated. It's perfect for extra outlets in the room!

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-SurgePlus-Protector-BST300/dp/B00ATZJ5YS

615t7%2B2m8vL._SL1500_.jpg

Please don't use this when you cruise. This is EXACTLY the item that I used last year that almost started a fire, as I described above. I had used it on previous cruises without incident but have now gotten rid of it as a result of the close call last year. The power strip I have now specifically states on the caution label that it is not a surge protector.

And again, I will say that your Belkin outlet is a surge protector, and can be considered the "silent killer" in your suitcase. It can be used perfectly fine for quite some time until, without warning the MOV's fail, or a ground somewhere else in the ship causes your perfectly fine Belkin surge protector to fail in thermal runaway and catch fire. Whether or not you have not had this unit confiscated, now that you are aware that it is dangerous, please don't bring it in future.