Luggage

Ladyaruba

Taking our first cruise in June 2018 to Alaska. 4 day land trip then 7 day cruise starting in Fairbanks, ending in Vancouver.

I have asked lots of questions on Cruise Critic and received very helpful answers, tips and other information.Thanks to all!

The only thing that confuses me is luggage/luggage tags.

Hubby and I are each bringing one rolling suitcase and 1 carry on.

His carryon converts to a backpack and I may just bring a small back pack also to use at ports. Because we do travel, I know what to put in the carryons(just in case) so for Alaska, I just need to add a few different things.

My problem is that I read about some luggage going with you and other luggage going to the ship and you need separate tags? Does this mean we don't see our luggage until we get to our suite on the ship?

My problem is that I read about some luggage going with you and other luggage going to the ship and you need separate tags? Does this mean we don't see our luggage until we get to our suite on the ship?
When we did our C/T years ago we had the option of sending bags ahead to the ship, so we cross-packed two bags. Things for each of us that we weren't going to need until we reached the ship went into one bag and things needed for the land portion went into the other. I don't know if that's how it works now, though.

p.s. - "mind the gap" getting on the ship in Fairbanks! :D

I did my Alaska land tour and cruise with Princess, but I think they are pretty much the same way. You don't have to do a lot of luggage handling. You put it outside the door in the morning, and it appears at your room that evening. As mentioned earlier, it goes by truck, while you may be on a bus or on the Alaska Railroad. The worst part of it for me was how they wanted the luggage outside your door very early... I think I remember it being 6:00 (at least some mornings).

I was fascinated to watch the land tour operation of Princess (and I am sure HAL is similar)... so many people going so many places at so many times, and it all ran like a well oiled machine.