Scuba recommendations for Grand Cayman, Feb 2018

KathiB

My sister and I will be on RCCL Rhapsody and will stop at Grand Cayman on Tuesday, Feb. 13. We are looking for a very good scuba operator. I have just spent 10 days on Cozumel diving. My sister hasn't been diving in couple years and is going to take a refresher course before the cruise. We are both in our 60s but are fit and adventures. We may want to hire a private DM. We do not want to do shore dives and prefer a smaller operator with fewer people on the boat. I have previously been told about Cayman Marine Lab but am looking for more recs. I will be contacting them very soon to set up our day of diving. Thanks!

Tortuga Divers is owned by Red Sail Sports, but the Tortuga location is on the far east end of the island and that would not work for cruise visitors. Red Sail has operations out of many of the larger hotels on the west side of the island and is one of the largest dive operators on the island.

Since the OP prefers smaller operators I would suggest checking out Off the Wall Divers which operate out of a sort of coop at the Lobster Pot Dive Center, near Burger King on the George Town waterfront. Off the Wall and the other dive operators working out of Lobster Pot are all small operations that can probably work to fit your schedule well.

have been diving GC since the mid 80's

note that your time of planned visit is when the seas ... if they are gonna be bad from the west .... are gonna be bad from the west. Making all the boarding areas for dive boats ... and potentially cruise tendering ..... impossible ..... this is when you see a limited cruise ship count try to tender to SPOTTS BAY

In smaller words ..... seas from the west in Feb and Mar tend to make Cayman 'difficult' at best. IME when I was still able to dive a week in GC in F and M it was with operations that had boats ALSO on the north sound ...... or east side. Larger operations will have boats staged at 2 or 3 locations .....

Capt BJ, Thanks for the info. I was not aware of winds on the west side during Feb. and March. Can you recommend any operators that have operations on the north and east side as well as the west?

We have decided to go with Epic Divers. They will pick us up in a van either on the westside, or if the weather dictates it, on the southside. They were very helpful when we talked on the phone about our experience and expectations.

• 4 weeks later...