HAL NOORDAM Alaskan land and sea

chichope

We have booked the Alaskan land and sea double Denali cruise in May and I was reading on their website about the luggage rules. Has anyone taken this cruise before and can help me out about not having access to all your luggage when on the land portion. I'm just confused. :confused: Thank you for your help.

I did this last summer, with the land first.

We checked into the first night hotel and were given tags for our cases we did not need until the ship, and for smaller cases we needed along the way in land.

The ship suitcases are taken and you won’t see them until you get to your ship room. Send things like dressier clothes and shoes.

The land suitcase will be picked up from outside your room each morning and you’ll see it that evening in your next hotel.

Carry a backpack onboard the bus or train with your medications, laptop, jewelry, etc.

We are cruising first, so the way I understand it is when we leave the ship headed for Denali we won’t see our “ship luggage” until we get to Anchorage or back to Seattle? Will really have to pack with all this in mind. Kind of scares us!

Yup! You will have to pack with all this in mind.

Is it the organizing and packing this scares you? or that you won't have control of all your stuff all the time? The first part we might be able to help you with, not the last part, other than to say that it works.

For packing for the cruise first, that's pretty easy and normal. But you will have to make sure you have the right number and sizes of luggage pieces, including a piece of luggage, maybe a carry-on size, for each of you to be your land tour luggage as I think you are limited to one piece of checked baggage each for the land tour, and a backpack or shoulder tote/duffel bag for each of you to have all day during your land tour. So the first part of planning is to have the right number of pieces and sizes.

Your land tour checked luggage won't be accessible during the days when you are on the bus or train, so all your "day stuff" needs to be in your back-pack/tote/duffel... meds, money, valuables, passports, cameras or electronics you want all-day access to, binoculars etc. Plus rain gear and any snacks you want to carry. Wear your warm clothes, jacket, hat, gloves and waterproof boots.

You put your pajamas, toiletries and changes of clothes for the few days of your land tour in your land tour checked luggage; you will get your piece(s) of luggage on the days you arrive at new lodging after you arrive at your destination for that night. You'll put your luggage out for pick up in the morning at breakfast time or so, and the tour people will pick it up and put it on the bus or train to meet up with you at the next destination. This beats having to handle you luggage yourself.

Anything and everything that you won't be using on the land tour goes in your "ship-only" luggage and HAL takes care of it for you from the ship to your last land tour lodging before you head home.

Think "active and inactive" for each part of your trip.

We'll try to answer questions, but yes it will take some planning to make sure you have what you need when you need it. It'll all be worth it! m--

Is it the organizing and packing this scares you? or that you won't have control of all your stuff all the time? The first part we might be able to help you with, not the last part, other than to say that it works.

For packing for the cruise first, that's pretty easy and normal. But you will have to make sure you have the right number and sizes of luggage pieces, including a piece of luggage, maybe a carry-on size, for each of you to be your land tour luggage as I think you are limited to one piece of checked baggage each for the land tour, and a backpack or shoulder tote/duffel bag for each of you to have all day during your land tour. So the first part of planning is to have the right number of pieces and sizes.

Your land tour checked luggage won't be accessible during the days when you are on the bus or train, so all your "day stuff" needs to be in your back-pack/tote/duffel... meds, money, valuables, passports, cameras or electronics you want all-day access to, binoculars etc. Plus rain gear and any snacks you want to carry. Wear your warm clothes, jacket, hat, gloves and waterproof boots.

You put your pajamas, toiletries and changes of clothes for the few days of your land tour in your land tour checked luggage; you will get your piece(s) of luggage on the days you arrive at new lodging after you arrive at your destination for that night. You'll put your luggage out for pick up in the morning at breakfast time or so, and the tour people will pick it up and put it on the bus or train to meet up with you at the next destination. This beats having to handle you luggage yourself.

Anything and everything that you won't be using on the land tour goes in your "ship-only" luggage and HAL takes care of it for you from the ship to your last land tour lodging before you head home.

We'll try to answer questions, but yes it will take some planning to make sure you have what you need when you need it. It'll all be worth it! m--

Thank you so much for this info! We are doing 4 days on land and then the 7 day cruise. I also was confused about luggage. My plan is to bring a suitcase and carryon(backpack probably) for each of us. I will now make sure to use one suitcase for "ship use" and one for "land use". Our carryons will be for all of our "day stuff" including all of the important stuff that you mentioned above. We carry meds, electronics etc. in carryons whenever we travel just need to add a few other things this trip

I feel better already! I have my list started so now I just need to split things 3 ways😁

Thanks again!

Just a note that roller bags are not allowed on the train unless you are carrying medical equipment (CPAP, etc). Only small backpacks that will fit under your seat are allowed.

My roller bag had to "Meet me in Anchorage" after Denali and my camera bag with laptop slot accompanied me on the bus/train

Just a note that roller bags are not allowed on the train unless you are carrying medical equipment (CPAP, etc). Only small backpacks that will fit under your seat are allowed.

My roller bag had to "Meet me in Anchorage" after Denali and my camera bag with laptop slot accompanied me on the bus/train

Still confused now. Looks like we go on the train twice. Once to Anchorage and then into Seward aboard the cruise train.

So do we just take carryons for these last two days and our "rolly land bag" goes on ahead? One rolly already sent ahead to ship.

I guess as long as I pack what e need for the last two days in carryons we will be okay.

thanks

We did this on Princess, and we took one large suitcase, and the smaller roller for the toiletries.

Our hand luggage had to fit under the seat, and they were pretty hard to retrieve when disembarking. We were told to make sure they zipped shut. If we had brought knapsacks with tie closures, it's quite possible things may have slipped out.

We saw a couple in Denali Princess Lodge each with large tote bags w/ the top zipper from L. L. Bean.

We did ship first then land. Flying to Texas from Fairbanks made a long day.

Read your post wrong.

I thought you were talking about a suitcase with wheels.

I assume you mean carryons with wheels aren't allowed on the train.

You are correct. Unless the carryon with wheels will fit in the very small area under your seat it will not be allowed on the train. All of your other luggage is transported by truck and will be at your destination a long time before the train arrives.

You are correct. Unless the carryon with wheels will fit in the very small area under your seat it will not be allowed on the train. All of your other luggage is transported by truck and will be at your destination a long time before the train arrives.

Thank you! As first time cruisers, I want to make sure I know what I am doing!

• 2 weeks later...

Great explanation and very helpful, thank you so much!

Sent from my iPad using Forums