Decent Pizza / Sub Restaurant vic Times Square

pasodancer

Hi Everyone! I am looking for someplace at won't break the bank as we have a son w/ a bottomless pit (he can down 5 Big Macs at a sitting). We are staying at the Renaissance at Two Times Square and are hoping for a short walk to get lunch or snack while we are at the hotel. Any recommendations?

York 10036 US

Great info! I am staying on W 49th St. and I wanted to know of a good/great Pizza place where I could walk to in case I had craving for a GREAT Pizza. Dilemma solved. Thanks! :)

IMO, John's is good (and if you're looking for a full-service, sit-down restaurant would be preferable), but it is not what I'd call "GREAT" pizza, and it does NOT sell pizza by the slice. For an actual New York pizzeria experience, walk down toward Penn Station and try Pizza Suprema. You'll burn a few calories and can indulge in another slice -- which you'll want! :D:D

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ny-pizza-suprema-new-york

• 2 weeks later...

John's definitely. We eat there every trip. Actually the best pizza we ever had in NYC was in the south bronx near my DH's grandmother's house. His aunt still lives in the house, but there's no way we'd go there now. It's not the safest area lol and quite a walk from the subway.

John's is also good for other Italian food.

Why go to NYC if you're going to eat in a National chain such as TGIF or Olive Garden. There's too many good options and not all are expensive. We've found some really good meals in corner diners as well as upscale restaurants on restaurant row.

Johns Pizza is very good thin crust coal oven pizza, but it is NOT considered traditional NYC pizza (by the slice, of course!)

For the slice, try the mom and pop stores all over the city. Times Sq. is not nec. the best location since it is touristy, but if your son eats a lot, try a slice in each of a few different places in the area.

It seems appropriate to pull Johnny T out of retirement for this thread...

Pizza mentioned at the end, but the rest is your mandatory safety briefing...

(This is the only board on earth that I fail at embedding a YouTube video...)

It seems appropriate to pull Johnny T out of retirement for this thread...

Pizza mentioned at the end, but the rest is your mandatory safety briefing...

(This is the only board on earth that I fail at embedding a YouTube video...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL! Too darn funny! Perfect!

Has anybody suggested Johns? ;) (I agree by the way)

For a non-pizza family option, I'd also check out Juniors on 45th off Broadway. It's a crowded outpost of the Brooklyn deli. They do big portions of deli and diner food at reasonable-for-Times Square prices. (Be sure you get the little dishes of pickles and beets with your meal) I'm told that their cheesecake is delicious, but I've never had room for it.

Please don't default to the familiar outposts of Applebees, Olive Garden, and the like. For a family, I might also consider the family-style Carmines for Italian (a half-block down from John's) the Shake Shack for burgers, or the food court on the second floor of the Row hotel. (all of these are within a block or so of each other)

We also like juniors , they were opening another restaurant just a few block north when we were in nyc last May, shame stage and Carnegie delis closed. Another fun place is Ellen’s stardust dinner , setup as a 50’s dinner with out of work broadway singers and dancers as there staff they sing all day on top of the tables, it’s become a little too popular and now there is normally line to get in there , it’s on 51st and broadway.

To the OP

A hint- it is a hero,not a sub in NYC.

Also agree with another poster. Please, do not go to chain restaurants in the City such as Olive Garden etc.

There is nothing wrong with these restaurants, but with so many other choices of restaurants, you miss out on an authentic NYC experience if you go to a chain place that can be found everywhere ,or almost everywhere.

Someone mentioned Juniors ( original place is in Brooklyn). There is a

Juniors located in Grand Central Station., which is a short walk from Times Square.

Great sandwiches and cheesecake. You can also walk around the station which is a beautiful and busy place. There is a food market at the station also where you can find snacks,baked goods,coffee,wine,fresh produce and chocolates.

Also, if you want some good Italian food, go downtown to Little Italy. Good pizza there as well as Ferrara’s bakery- cannolies and Napoleons - just great !