Taxi to Native Choice?

ericosmith

The DW has difficulty walking distances and in the info we got from Native Choice it suggests taking a taxi for the 4 blocks. In my experience, drivers aren't very happy with a trip of that distance. Can anyone give me an idea of how to go about this and what the cost might be?

Thanks

There are taxis just outside the port. The cost to Mahahual, which is further than Native Choice, is usually only $ 2-3 per person, so I would give them a decent tip and you should be fine.

Just an FYI, the pier and walk through the port to get to where the taxis are is a fairly long walk as well. There is usually a shuttle / tram operating on the pier, but some have reported it was not operating in their recent visit. The walk through the port from the shuttle drop off point to the taxis is still fairly long for someone with mobility issues.

Also, depending on the tour you are doing, there can be quite a bit of walking at the ruins sites. I’m not trying to discourage you, just letting you know so you are aware ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No tram on our last visit plus they blocked off the side exits which was an easy way to bypass the Tourist Village. You now have to walk through to the end where you pick up transportation into town. Just take your time; like previously suggested get a cab at the port then tip well for the shorter journey.

We used Native Choice in mid February to visit the ruins. The walk was not bad, but my 67 year old sister could have used a taxi. There are several taxis waiting after you exit the tourist village. They make you snake around through the shops to get out of the welcome area making the walk even longer. One note - on the way back, Native Choice brought us right back to the port area.

We were there 1st week of Feb this year. The tram was running and does save a bit of walking. By all means take a taxi to native choice. Cost was $2 and they were nice. Yes, lots of walking and a bit of climbing on the last part of the tour. But so worth it!! And they also dropped us off right at the gates of port when done. Great company!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I'm not quite sure of what I'm reading.

In Costa Maya, Is Native Choice a tour agency, or Taxi or what?

Where is the best place to do "local shopping?"

Native Choice is a tour agency. It is located a few blocks outside the port and you must walk there or take a taxi, if mobility is an issue. Their tours do return you to the port, but are not allowed to pick up directly at the port.

There are shops at the Port, but may not be what you are looking for as “local”. Others may be able to give more information in any shops in Mahahual as we have not done any shopping there.

We used Native Choice last year and to be honest, the walk seemed a little longer than they said. By the time you walk through the shops, go out the gate there is still 4 or 5 blocks to go. But there are taxis everywhere out front and it won't be a problem.

We used Native Choice last year and to be honest, the walk seemed a little longer than they said. By the time you walk through the shops, go out the gate there is still 4 or 5 blocks to go. But there are taxis everywhere out front and it won't be a problem.

ITA. LOL. It did seem like a longer walk than they told us too! In retrospect, it was probably longer because we didn't know where we were going. The walk back through the village was faster going back than coming.

ITA. LOL. It did seem like a longer walk than they told us too! In retrospect, it was probably longer because we didn't know where we were going. The walk back through the village was faster going back than coming.

Until the last year or so, you could walk out of the port area almost directly at the end of the pier. When we were there in January, they had blocked some of the exits to force you to walk all the way through the port area so that you passed the shops / restaurants. I imagine the maps / directions for Native Choice have not been updated to reflect the change. This adds quite a bit of additional walking to just get out of the port now.

Until the last year or so, you could walk out of the port area almost directly at the end of the pier. When we were there in January, they had blocked some of the exits to force you to walk all the way through the port area so that you passed the shops / restaurants. I imagine the maps / directions for Native Choice have not been updated to reflect the change. This adds quite a bit of additional walking to just get out of the port now.

You are right. We had to walk all the way through.. Felt like we were at Ikea- no exit!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is true. If your going some place, and are not familiar with it, it will seem longer than what it is, sometimes. I find, once I get my bearings on the distance and know how long it took to get there, I then know if I will be able to walk back the distance, or take transportation.

Just back and it is a long walk to the taxi. My advice is to go through the exit that the cruise tours use. There are gates there but they are open. Didn't go out that way going as there was a guard there but on the way back went in that way and it was much shorter. If I had it to do over again I would have gone through the tour exit both ways. I don't think the guard would have said anything but the easy way would be to simply blend in with a ships group long enough to get through the gates.

OK, I'm not quite sure of what I'm reading.

In Costa Maya, Is Native Choice a tour agency, or Taxi or what?

Where is the best place to do "local shopping?"

Native Choice handles tours to the Mayan ruins, and if you use Mr. Villagomez, he is Mayan, and I believe his family lived at Chacchoben before the archeological dig began in 1994. The site was opened to the public in 2002. Besides Chacchoben, Native Choice will take you to Dzibanche, and Kohunlich. They are professional and knowledgeable! We have gone to a couple of Mayan sites with them, and are never disappointed!!.