Do you pick a cruise for itinerary or ship?

screamin400

We are going on the adventure in Feb. with a very busy itinerary. 5 ports in the Southern Caribbean. We are ready to book the Carnival Dream for the following Feb. as it goes to the rest of the Southern Caribbean. We also took a look at the Oasis class ships. I know there is no comparison of ships but there also in no comparison of itinerary. I wish the Oasis could get a good itinerary. So do you book ship or itinerary? I am leaning toward the itinerary but not sure. Opinions please.

Hmm I thought there would be more folks saying itinerary. Our first cruise was on an older Carnival ship and I almost quit cruising right there. Freedom last year was amazing. I really enjoyed the ports. This year it is the Adventure with 5 ports. I am wondering if the next one should be all about the ship. Then again what am I thinking, I am married. I will have no say in this :)

To me and just to me the Oasis ships have the poorest itinerary of all ships. It would be a no brainer if they went somewhere a little better. Do I take a ship to somewhere that I don't really want to go to experience the awesomeness of an Oasis ship?

Itinerary. Our first consideration is where we want to go. The ship is merely the means of transportation to get us there. Now, if two ships are offering the same itinerary, then we will consider the amenities and the cost differences and make our decision based on those factors. The bottom line is, itinerary is always our first consideration.

Itinerary. Our first consideration is where we want to go. The ship is merely the means of transportation to get us there. Now, if two ships are offering the same itinerary, then we will consider the amenities and the cost differences and make our decision based on those factors. The bottom line is, itinerary is always our first consideration.

That has been the way it is with us. If I stay with the theory I will never see an Oasis ship. Not sure I have to though.

After 2 wonderful cruises on oasis we have booked an 11 night southern Caribbean for next November

6 ports, and we selected the cruise for the ports and the fact that 7 nights is never enough!!

We will be on serenade and although it is smaller than oasis we are looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BOTH.

The itinerary is important and determines where we want to go and what we want to see. Having done the Caribbean multiple times, and both there and Alaska this year...we appreciate what different locations offer. It comes down to what kind of things do you want to experience - that defines the location. Next year, we're doing a Western Mediterranean run.

The ship is also very important. On our Alaska cruise, we could not have enjoyed it more than what we experienced on Radiance of the Seas - she was perfect in size, amenities, cabins, meals, etc. Independence of the Seas was great for a Caribbean run, and we've really enjoyed Adventure of the Seas (twice). Based on a memorable cruise on Oasis a few years back...next year we specifically booked Allure of the Seas for the Mediterranean cruise.

Since itineraries include time both on and off the ship, our view is that both are equally important.

The other variable important item is time...what time of year...because that impacts things like weather/rain/etc. Thankfully, in all our cruises, we've experienced a total of 2 days of rain - one of which was in Alaska - located in a rainforest part of the world that averages more than 250 days of rain. Even with that...only 1 day of rain there came into play...and that was a drizzle.

Bottom line...when we plan - we start by considering multiple ships we like or would like to try out...then do our homework on the location/destination/ports they visit...then determine the best weather times (least rain, warmer days, etc.) at the locations...and decide from there.

This cruise will be for Feb. 2016 to get us out of the cold for a few days. The Oasis ships go to ports I have been to twice and some Bahamas if I recall. I have not been to the Bahamas but hear that cruise is all about the ship. Just what I have read is all.

Edited by screamin400

To me and just to me the Oasis ships have the poorest itinerary of all ships. It would be a no brainer if they went somewhere a little better. Do I take a ship to somewhere that I don't really want to go to experience the awesomeness of an Oasis ship?

That would be my vote!!

Kathy

This cruise will be for Feb. 2016 to get us out of the cold for a few days. The Oasis ships go to ports I have been to twice and some Bahamas if I recall. I have not been to the Bahamas but hear that cruise is all about the ship. Just what I have read is all.

We've been on 2 different ships (including Oasis) to the same ports as well.

Agree that the ship is the higher point of the itinerary. We're actually not fond of the Bahamas as a destination (anymore) for a number of reasons that may not matter to others. As you referenced - the ship itself is a great experience. Some make the case that you could stay on the ship alone for a cruise and have a fantastic time because there's so much to do onboard - which has some truth to it - but we wouldn't agree 100%.

Being former "great white north" people...we also respect your desire to have a warm February change from home.

We've done the Southern itinerary on Adventure of the Seas TWICE because we enjoyed is so much. Great ship and great ports. In our case...we went a bit later to take advantage of 80's weather instead of upper 60's and 70's common in February.

But you should be all set to have a great cruise on a great ship to great places. Some of our most favorite stops were St. Maarten, St. Lucia, and Barbados.

ENJOY!