Nickelodeon at Sea

JerseyMouseCruises

Hi there,

In late October Norwegian announced that The Kings Foundation, a U.K.-based charity, would replace Nickelodeon with educational programming. The full news story is here. Happy Sailing!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

I was wondering if the Splash Academy program will be any different with Kings Foundation. I thought it was going to have more educational activities and more sports. But it seems to be the same activities as before. On Escape, reports are the Splash Academy did a stage show with circus/juggling tricks which is the same as what we experienced on NCL Getaway in 2014.

I was wondering if the Splash Academy program will be any different with Kings Foundation. I thought it was going to have more educational activities and more sports. But it seems to be the same activities as before. On Escape, reports are the Splash Academy did a stage show with circus/juggling tricks which is the same as what we experienced on NCL Getaway in 2014.

The same old activities on the Star in November. My kids have been on 5 NCL cruises and the circus tricks have definitely lost their interest. My 12 year old doesn't even go anymore.

The same old activities on the Star in November. My kids have been on 5 NCL cruises and the circus tricks have definitely lost their interest. My 12 year old doesn't even go anymore.

Same here. My kid would rather spend time in the room with his 3DS that do that same stuff again.

It's not switching over to the new programming until January for most ships.

• 2 weeks later...

It is still very early in Jan, but are there any prelim reports? I am actually glad to see it go..............too much noise and a bit...IMHO tacky!! There must be better kid program options. But then again I do not cruise w little ones, so before I get bashed, I respect those that disagree! I am just looking for info.

ITA. My two sons are beside me and they are both hoping for some new material. Neither liked the circus idea in the first place, so they have been excluded from the last few days of kids club on our last few cruises. This is really too bad, because by then they've made friends and want to spend time with their new friends before going home.

Fwiw the boys vote for dodge ball and gagaball!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just off the Escape today and there was no difference in the Splash Academy program from our last cruise on the Getaway in April of 2014. My boys still had a blast but it was disappointing to them that there was no Nickelodeon (we knew before we sailed) and disappointing to me that nothing new was added.

I'm on Breakaway now and the programming has completely changed. No more Nickelodeon at all (except the pool area that has not been changed yet). The Splash Academy is focused on athletics, and educational activities. They have been making Volcanoes, designing boats to have a mini regatta, making "dinosaur eggs" and trying to keep them from breaking when they drop them. They've had the usual Pirate parade. They've had a heroes vs villains night. And so much more. I'll post pictures of the Splash Academy schedule, we're on for 2 weeks and they are doing something different every day and night.

I'm on Breakaway now and the programming has completely changed. No more Nickelodeon at all (except the pool area that has not been changed yet). The Splash Academy is focused on athletics, and educational activities. They have been making Volcanoes, designing boats to have a mini regatta, making "dinosaur eggs" and trying to keep them from breaking when they drop them. They've had the usual Pirate parade. They've had a heroes vs villains night. And so much more. I'll post pictures of the Splash Academy schedule, we're on for 2 weeks and they are doing something different every day and night.

Great update! Thanks :)

Did you find out if it is the program being managed by the King's Foundation group out of the UK?

I wish they would have had those activities on the Escape, it sounds pretty amazing!!

Wow, those activities are great! Thanks for the update.

We did not have those on the Escape, but my daughter did not really complain.

OP here....Thanks so much for the updated information. If you could post the schedule that would be incredible.