Lot's of cabins still empty for our cruise

jsf

We are going on a cruise in Dec and there seems to be many cabins not sold. What happens as we are past final payment? Do they start giving deals to locals so they can pay less than we did? How about upgrades any chances or do we sail with a less than full ship? Not going to name ship as I don't want to help RCCL sell, I'm sure they already know.

J.

We are going on a cruise in Dec and there seems to be many cabins not sold. What happens as we are past final payment? Do they start giving deals to locals so they can pay less than we did? How about upgrades any chances or do we sail with a less than full ship? Not going to name ship as I don't want to help RCCL sell, I'm sure they already know.

J.

Anyone can look at your posting history and see that you are cruising on the Navigator for 5 nights beginning on December 17.

They may make upsell calls. They may drop prices. Look on the Going Going Gone sale flyer. It may already be there.

On many cruises there are "empty" cabins, but that doesn't mean the ship isn't full! If all the cabins that hold 3 and 4 are fully booked, the maximum number of passengers may well be onboard! There are more "beds" than passengers allowed!

J.

Yes, Royal could offer a sale on your sailing to fill unsold cabins. Could those prices be less than what you paid? Sure. Could Royal first offer upgrades/upsells to people already booked? Sure, again. However, the likelihood of many of the cabins being in highly sought after locations, will probably be small.

When we book a cruise we book it at a time, when we believe the price is reasonable for the cruise being taken. Hopefully we get it on an advertised sale, and maybe even with some additional perks thrown is....but regardless it is a price we believe is fair OR we would not book it.....and we are PICKING the cabin we want....not what is 'left over'.

I learned a long time ago, NEVER to ask someone what they paid for their cabin or even their airplane seat....often SOMEONE had to pay less than me. It is irrelevant to what I considered the value I invested.

On many occasions, we have booked a cruise a year or more prior to sail date only to see the price of the cruise rise and rise.....I figure if the price goes down on a cruise to a number lower than I paid, I made it up on those other cruises.

aaaannnnd this has what exactly to do with Royal Caribbean?

Shows what kind of last minute deals are available from now until Christmas, just like other years. Get the idea some Caribbean deals might be better than usual.

Some weeks of the year always sell at low prices. Some weeks sell high regardless. Prices could very well drop in your case. I rarely pay anything other than the lowest rate because I am flexible and watch prices and inventory for cruises I am interested in. I also book Southwest on points, another flexible option that all but guarantees the lowest airfare without penalty. A couple times I got lucky and received a credit via a travel agent, even past final payment. I paid $440 + tax for a balcony guar and got lucky that a cabin in that category opened on the center of the middle hump- again, I watch too much. This cruise has some good inventory left so it may go lower yet, but I am content with the location and price paid regardless. I've seen others on here not so lucky with price drops. Just look for upgrade opportunities OP.

Princess is running an amazing deal for past guests. I booked a B2B on the Royal Princess In Nov for a total of 15 nights and paid only $728 (taxes and port charges included!) for a GTY balcony cabin. Guess they have a LOT of open cabins. As an added bonus, I will get 4 new ports too.

How does one find out the occupancy rate of a specific cruise?

What specifically do you mean by 'occupancy rate'? For every ship category there is a range of how many cruisers the ship can accommodate. Each sailing of course varies simply because not all cabins fill their maximum number of cruisers. Some cabins can fit 3, but only 2 are sailing in it (one example), another would be a suite, that doesn't have the maximum number of cruisers in it. And yes, some cabins may not be sold at all, yet the cruise line may still consider the ship sailing at 'full capacity'.

There are two capacities.

1) Capacity with double occupancy of all cabins. This is 100% occupancy.

2) Maximum capacity, this is a legal maximum number of passengers based on SOLAS regulations and the number of seats on lifeboats.

This is why you will see cruises at 105% capacity. That is 105% of the double occupancy capacity, but NOT the maximum capacity.

So if there are a lot of cabins with 3 or 4 people, there may be empty cabins, that can NOT be sold, as the ship is at maximum legal capacity. See the threads were a second cabin was actually cheaper than putting a 3rd and 4th person in a single cabin.

There is also the capacity per muster station. So even though you have a 3/4 person cabin, you may not be able to add a 3rd/4th person. The muster station for that cabin may be at full capacity or the entire ship may be at maximum capacity.

Princess is running an amazing deal for past guests. I booked a B2B on the Royal Princess In Nov for a total of 15 nights and paid only $728 (taxes and port charges included!) for a GTY balcony cabin. Guess they have a LOT of open cabins. As an added bonus, I will get 4 new ports too.

Why are you posting about another cruise line on this forum? (second time)

Why are you posting about another cruise line on this forum? (second time)

Because this thread is about open cabins on cruises..and to show that there is still a lot of open inventory in the Caribbean and that they are going away for bargain prices!

Because this thread is about open cabins on cruises..and to show that there is still a lot of open inventory in the Caribbean and that they are going away for bargain prices!

Because the thread is in the ROYAL CARIBBEAN section. :D

And there are some travel agency sites that show more available cabins.

I recently tried CC's linked TA (Expedia) and found they also have gone up from the usual limit of 15 cabins shown in previous years to showing about the same as the RCI UK site. Still not as convenient as the usual German TA most folks use, but at least you get both inventory and US price in one spot.

Yes, Royal could offer a sale on your sailing to fill unsold cabins. Could those prices be less than what you paid? Sure. Could Royal first offer upgrades/upsells to people already booked? Sure, again. However, the likelihood of many of the cabins being in highly sought after locations, will probably be small.

When we book a cruise we book it at a time, when we believe the price is reasonable for the cruise being taken. Hopefully we get it on an advertised sale, and maybe even with some additional perks thrown is....but regardless it is a price we believe is fair OR we would not book it.....and we are PICKING the cabin we want....not what is 'left over'.

I learned a long time ago, NEVER to ask someone what they paid for their cabin or even their airplane seat....often SOMEONE had to pay less than me. It is irrelevant to what I considered the value I invested.

On many occasions, we have booked a cruise a year or more prior to sail date only to see the price of the cruise rise and rise.....I figure if the price goes down on a cruise to a number lower than I paid, I made it up on those other cruises.

Great post, thanks for putting it into perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread is about a very specific sailing on the cruise line named "Royal Caribbean". It's not about open cabins in cruises as a general topic.

This thread is about a very specific sailing on the cruise line named "Royal Caribbean". It's not about open cabins in cruises as a general topic.

Thank you for pointing that out..

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread about open cabins in general, so I decided to put it here, if someone is shopping around for a cheap cruise(on any cruise line!) in general.

Thank you for pointing that out..

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread about open cabins in general, so I decided to put it here, if someone is shopping around for a cheap cruise(on any cruise line!) in general.

But more than likely anyone here, in this thread/forum is gonna be shopping for a cheap cruise on Royal Caribbean. These people have coined a term for themselves, Loyal to Royal.....

But more than likely anyone here, in this thread/forum is gonna be shopping for a cheap cruise on Royal Caribbean. These people have coined a term for themselves, Loyal to Royal.....

Not necessarily true. I have cruised Carnival 26 times and Royal only 20. I prefer Royal but Carnival keeps one or two ships home ported in Tampa, so they tend to get more of my business.