Bayonne: A nightmare???

North Carolina
25,301 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Ok...so I've heard a few stories about cruisin' outta Jersey...and they weren't good ones. Embarkation/Debarkation nightmares, we'll call them.
Anyone out there able to tell me it isn't all that bad??? Or should I just expect a circus and be prepared for the worst?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093

Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/2017~Getaway 1/2018
Holland America: Eurodam 1/2018

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
Central PA
2,512 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
I've gone out of Bayonne several times and the last time (Dec 07) was by far the worst. Due to several weather issues, the ship was late in coming in so you had people getting off the ship and others waiting to get on. Traffic was a nightmare.

One of the biggest problems at Bayonne is having to take the shuttle from the check in point to the ship. Everyone is anxious to get on and the shuttles are jammed. The it's the reverse when you get back, everyone is anxious to get home and it is a free for all.

We are planning on going out of Bayonne in 2009 but we will not make the mistake again of using a Cruise/Park hotel. Our plans are to park at the pier and not have to worry about the hotel shuttle getting into the port with all the traffic and waiting hours to get picked up.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
+

Proud Member of Pink Boa Cruisers

240 Royal Caribbean Nights at Sea - So Far

----------------------------
Explorer 11/10/01 - Explorer 12/14/02 - Serenade 10/13/03 - Grandeur 5/21/04 - Voyager 10/8/04 - Grandeur 3/12/05 - Grandeur 11/11/05 - Jewel 10/14/06 - Grandeur 11/10/06 - Empress 10/13/2007 - Explorer 12/2/2007 (First Diamond Cruise) - Grandeur 10/30/2008 - Grandeur 10/3/2009 - Grandeur 11/5/2009 - Enchantment 11/4/2010 - Enchantment 12/6/2010 - Enchantment 12/5/2011 - Explorer 10/7/2012 - Enchantment 11/1/2012 (First Diamond+ Cruise) - Grandeur 11/16/2013 - Grandeur 12/9/2014 - Grandeur 12/9/2015 - Grandeur 12/10/2016 - Grandeur 12/9/2017
----------------------------

It's 5 o'clock somewhere
The EMPIRE State
24,689 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Originally posted by halos
Ok...so I've heard a few stories about cruisin' outta Jersey...and they weren't good ones. Embarkation/Debarkation nightmares, we'll call them.
Anyone out there able to tell me it isn't all that bad??? Or should I just expect a circus and be prepared for the worst?
Bayonne is actually quite a dream, especially since they moved LTP past the dropoff point.
And, my car is there right now!
859 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
i've gone from bayonne 4X and it has always been a breeze, really pleasant..........with the excpetion of dec 2007 when it was a complete fiasco coming in and going out. it was snowing that day and the previous cruise was delayed because of a storm. it took about 1 1/2 hours or so to get from from the entrance of the port at the road to the actual parking lot. there were fights in the traffic, many people who had cabs decided to ditch the cabs and make their way by foot (with all thier luggage). i pray to never go through that again and my guess is that they have fixed the problem by now (i hope). i'll be going again in 3 weeks so i guess i'll find out then.
10,576 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Halos,

I see you're leaving in 25 days.....Dont fret a thing, you shouldnt have any problems. Problems are usually in bad weather situations where Explorer is late coming in and pax are debarking AND embarking. You shouldnt have any issues at all.

Its a luxury to leave out of Cape Liberty- we've personally never encountered ANYTHING to be called a nightmare. It has always been run smoothly when we've left from Bayonne. (Then again, some people just cant be pleased and will find something to compalin about! lmao)

Have a fabulous cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

8/2017 Celebrity Summit
11/2017 Equinox Southern Caribbean
1/2018 Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean

7/2018 Adventure of the Seas
3/2019 Celebrity Edge
*Above subject to change and additions!

The Sails that Started it all.......
It started way back, when I was a kid.
My Grandparents often sailed on The Oceanic and to say the Bon Voyage Parties were memorable is an understatement!*
10,576 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by mgmigs
i've gone from bayonne 4X and it has always been a breeze, really pleasant..........with the excpetion of dec 2007 when it was a complete fiasco coming in and going out. it was snowing that day and the previous cruise was delayed because of a storm. it took about 1 1/2 hours or so to get from from the entrance of the port at the road to the actual parking lot. there were fights in the traffic, many people who had cabs decided to ditch the cabs and make their way by foot (with all thier luggage). i pray to never go through that again and my guess is that they have fixed the problem by now (i hope). i'll be going again in 3 weeks so i guess i'll find out then.

Im confused, lol (blon de moment maybe?? lol)

What was the 'problem' you hope they fixed? (Lost ya' there, lol)
44 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Our experience from two years ago was good and bad.

We arrived at about 11:30 and we were at the buffett at 12:15. That was the good.

We were in the last group getting off the ship. There were a lot of people arriving as we were disenbarking. It took our ride home an hour and fifteen minutes to get to us once he entered the port. That was the bad.

Arriving around 11:00 is a good idea. Your room won't be ready but the pools, bars and buffett iwill be open open. Most fun you'll ever have in Bayonne. Don't forget to put your bathing suits in your carry on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Elation 2000
Enchantment of the Seas 2003
Disney Wonder 2004
Explorer of the Seas 2006
Mariner of the Seas 2008
Morristown, TN, USA
16,495 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
You have intrigued me. We leave out in October....we will be taking a cab from the Newark Airport to Cape Liberty...so give me the steps that occur please.

Question: they drop me at some point at some kind of entry...then I shuttle with luggage to the terminal...then do boarding????

Idea of what happens please.
Lou
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
345 days at sea and 99,566 nautical miles which is 4.61 times around the equator in nautical miles

UPCOMING:

Serenade of the Seas-October 28, 2018 (Repo Bos to FLL)
Serenade of the Seas-February 1, 2019 (Southern Caribbean)
Symphony of the Seas-May 4 and May 11, 2019 (B2B) (Caribbean)
Serenade of the Seas-August 25, 2019 (TA Cop Nor Ice)
Serenade of the Seas-October 27, 2019 (Repo Bos to FLL)
Allure of the Seas-January 12 and January 19, 2020 (B2B) (Caribbean)
Serenade of the Seas-February 21, 2020 (Caribbean)

DONE: 39 so far!
Oasis class- RCCL - 3 cruises (Oasis)
Freedom class - RCCL - 4 cruises (Freedom, Independence, Liberty)
Voyager class - RCCL- 3 cruises (Explorer, Mariner)
Radiance class - RCCL - 22 cruises (Radiance, Brilliance, Jewel,Serenade)
Vision class - RCCL - 4 cruises (Grandeur,Enchantment)
Sovereign class - RCCL - 1 cruise (Monarch)
Celebrity - 1 cruise (Summit)

Carnival - 1 cruise (Imagination)
23,078 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by cruisingrightalong
You have intrigued me. We leave out in October....we will be taking a cab from the Newark Airport to Cape Liberty...so give me the steps that occur please.

Question: they drop me at some point at some kind of entry...then I shuttle with luggage to the terminal...then do boarding????

Lou

Your cab will drop you off at the terminal, where the porters will take all your luggage except your carry on bags. You then proceed into the building and check in. They will give you a number for the shuttle and you go and hang out in the waiting area until your number is called. The first shuttle starts around 12 noon. Then you get on the shuttle for the 3 minute ride to the ship and get on the ship
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liberty Travel-Flight Centre USA
859 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by CruiseDivaNJ
Im confused, lol (blon de moment maybe?? lol)

What was the 'problem' you hope they fixed? (Lost ya' there, lol)
the probelm was the traffic getting to the parking lot from the entrance to the port. this usually takes only a few minutes but that day it took 1 1/2 hours.
The EMPIRE State
24,689 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Originally posted by cruisingrightalong

Lou
Just ask the cabbie to drop you off at the drop off point, give your luggage to a porter, pay your cabbie, and go inside.

You will go through security, and then proceed to a check in counter based on your status and/or deck. Once checked in, you will be given a number for when your bus is ready.

Then find a seat and wait for your number to called.

When your number is called, it's off to the ship.
1,342 Posts
Joined May 2004
This is a yes and no answer or maybe a better answer would be depends.

If the ship arrives late it creates a traffic jam with people who just got off picking up their luggage and those trying to get on dropping off their luggage. Getting off the ship does not seem to be as big of a problem as they have a seperate route for cars coming from the parking back to teh pickup point

I am told that RCCL that they are working on dredging the terminal area not only to be able to move ship up to the terminal but for the Genesis class ships (Oasis of the Seas).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
TwelveOhOne
10,576 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by mgmigs
the probelm was the traffic getting to the parking lot from the entrance to the port. this usually takes only a few minutes but that day it took 1 1/2 hours.
Seems like that instance was because of very bad weather and simultaneous debarking and embarking pax.

This time of year that most likely wont happen.
10,576 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by TWELVEOHONE
This is a yes and no answer or maybe a better answer would be depends.

If the ship arrives late it creates a traffic jam with people who just got off picking up their luggage and those trying to get on dropping off their luggage. Getting off the ship does not seem to be as big of a problem as they have a seperate route for cars coming from the parking back to teh pickup point

I am told that RCCL that they are working on dredging the terminal area not only to be able to move ship up to the terminal but for the Genesis class ships (Oasis of the Seas).
Ships dont often arrive late unless there are weather 'issues'.

Im not sure what you mean by RCCL dredging- there is NO water near enough to the terminal for ANY of the ships.

As for debarking, getting your luggage and a seperate route- not really.
There are usually two lines they try and maintain- one is to pull into a #'d bay (of sorts) to drop off luggage and the other usually is closest to the neighboring bldg and it leads right past luggage drop off to...........long term pkg. (I dont think I explained that right, lmao but visually in my head I get it, lol)

It depends on if you park in LT pkg or have a car picking you up. We've done both, if you have more specific ?s, ask.
NYC
1,189 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Just went through the whole process two weeks ago on embarkation and last week on disembarkation. Our friend dropped us off at 11:15/11:30. We went immediately into check-in. Place was pretty empty at that time. Check-in was so fast I had to ask the staff member if that really was all there was to it!

We sat in the waiting area for about 15 minutes and boarded the shuttle which took us promptly to the ship. Not sure why folks feel that's such a hassle. I did expect it to be a big pain in the rear given some of the comments found on this site, but it took about 4 minutes to get to the ship. Not sure about you but I'm not going to worry about being packed in an airconditioned bus for four minutes! No big deal on that front.

We explored the Explorer, had lunch in the Windjammer, went to our cabin and our luggage was already at our door. All by 1:30pm.

We used express disembarkation. I imagine this option is not a good one for those with disabilities, small children or who simply have too much luggage to handle on their own. If you are physically able to take your luggage, I highly recommend it. Just go to guest services first half of your cruise to sign up because there's limited availability.

Sure, some folks were snippy but I imagine it had more to do with end-of-vacation-blues than anything else.

Nevertheless, we were off the ship and eating breakfast at a local diner by 9am with no worries.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Breakway - 4/1/2018, 7 day to Florida/Bahamas
Carnival Splendor - 8/24/2015, 7 day Canada
NCL Breakaway - 11/30/2014, 7 day Florida/Bahamas
NCL Breakaway - 8/24/2014, 7 day Bermuda (diverted to Florida/Bahamas)
NCL Breakaway - 2/16/2014, 7 day Florida/Bahamas
NCL Breakaway - 12/1/2013, 7 day Florida/Bahamas
Carnival Splendor - 3/23/2013, 8 day Florida/Bahamas
Carnival Glory - 8/25/2012, 5 day Canada
RCCL Freedom of the Seas- 7/15/2012, 7 day Caribbean
NCL Jewel - 2/18/2012, 7 day Florida/Bahamas
NCL Gem - 02/2011, 7 day Florida/Bahamas
NCL Epic - 07-08/2010, 14 day Back 2 Back Eastern/Western Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - 07/2008, 10 day Canada/New England
NCL Dawn - 08/2007, 7 day Bermuda/Bahamas
RCCL Majesty of the Seas - 04/2003, 4 day Bahamas/Key West
Dolphin - 07/1984, 3 day Bahamas
NJ
620 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
We love going out of Bayonne, we are 45 minutes away, we can park there....the easiest by far port to get through. Love it! Leaves Miami in the dust!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Angel

Carnival Sensation 94,98,99
NCL Dreamward 95
RCCL Explorer 2001
RCCL Voyager 2002,
RCCL Navigator 2003,
Mother's Day on NCL Dawn 2005 Cancelled,
Carnival Legend 2005 ,
RCCL Voyager 2005,
RCCL Freedom NORO CRUISE 2006,
RCCL Explorer 2007,
RCCL Explorer 2008,
RCCL Explorer 2009
RCCL Liberty 2009
Norwegian Gem-Overnighter
RCCL Explorer 2010
Navigator of the Seas 11-6
Oasis of the Seas 11-10

Norwegian Jewel 4-3-11
Celebrity Silhouette 3-29-12

Upcoming:
Independence of the Seas 1-12-14 & 1/18/14 B2B

Diamond Plus Member 🐾

amsterdam, NY
664 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
We have cruies out of Bayonne 2x and NY once. There are some things that bother us but all in all not having to deal with the airports makes cruising out of Bayonne easy. Yes you might have to wait a while, yes gettign off can sometimes be a pain but flying is worse. Go in with a positive attitude and all will go well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Voyager of the Seas 10/7/2004
Norwegian Dawn 12/7/2006
Explorer of the Seas 12/2/2007
Explorer of the Seas 11/30/2008
Explorer of the Seas 11/29/2009
Explorer of the Seas 11/28/2010
Explorer of the Seas. 12/13/2011
Carnival Freedom 1/08/2012
Explorer of the Seas. 12/03/2012
Explorer of the Seas. 12/2/2013

Upcoming Explorer of the Seas November 1, 2014
35 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
We had no problems when we sailed from Bayonne in July. It was actually a quick, smooth process.
We had a bit of a wait in our car (not bad - maybe 20 minutes) in line to drop off our luggage with the porter. But after that, it was quick and painless.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jessica

Michigan
32 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
We found flying in and out of Newark to be a delight when compared to the crowded hassel experienced with the Miami/Lauderdale airports. We arrived early by design, and the RC rep was actually waiting for us. The ride on the RC bus to the cruise terminal was fine.

At the terminal we enjoyed coffee and conversation with other cruisers until another bus took us to the Explorer about 11:30.

The return trip on the RC bus was fine also once we found where it was parked. There were no directions.

For us, the Newark airport provided an extra port-of-call, Manhattan! We had a late afternoon flight home. Northwest let us check our luggage early, and we then took the bus to Times Square. The round trip fare is $25 for adults ($15) for seniors.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Let's make this a day we can all be proud of

20 Cruises