7-Day Cruise with nothing but the clothes on our back?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:24 AM.
Michigan, USA
78 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Has anyone ever done a 7-day cruise with nothing but what you're wearing and the necessary paperwork? We're a few weeks out from our Breakaway cruise and the thought of dragging winter and summer stuff from home, through multiple airports, NYC and then onto the cruise does not excite me. Can I buy a couple pairs of shorts, shirts, and bathroom supplies on the ship??

Any chance I can talk my wife into this strategy?? Advice welcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you and I agree on everything, then one of us is redundant.
7,208 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by cxxviii
Has anyone ever done a 7-day cruise with nothing but what you're wearing and the necessary paperwork? We're a few weeks out from our Breakaway cruise and the thought of dragging winter and summer stuff from home, through multiple airports, NYC and then onto the cruise does not excite me. Can I buy a couple pairs of shorts, shirts, and bathroom supplies on the ship??

No, Yes, No.
New York
66 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
I've actually been thinking about this. I'm a light packer and I'd like to be even more of a light packer. I found a dress that is a quick drying fabric and I was thinking about wearing a bathing suit, covering that with athletic gear, then the dress and wearing that on the flight to the cruise. I can launder all that stuff in the bathroom sink and let it dry overnight. I'd have to bring some undergarments, a scarf or two and probably one extra pair of shoes, but I could (in theory) wear that dress, bathing suit, or athletic gear everywhere and "pack" in a one gallon ziploc bag. I'd love to give that a try, but I don't know if my husband would be okay with that. I'm aiming to do our next cruise with a backpack and a 21" wheeled carry-on. Just to see if I can...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Norwegian Escape - 2019 (Bermuda - from New York)
_____

Past Cruises:
Norwegian Star - 2017 (Dubrovnik, Katakalon, Athens, Kotor, Split - from Venice)
Liberty of the Seas - 2015 (Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax - from Bayonne)
Explorer of the Seas - 2013 (Bermuda, St Thomas, St Martin, Puerto Rico - from Bayonne)
Disney Wonder - 2002 (Bahamas - from Pt Canaveral)
Norwegian Sea - 2002 (Bahamas - from Miami)
613 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
It can be done. There apparently was a man on Jerome's (cruiseguys2009) last cruise who wore the same clothes all week. No one was ever able to explain why.
Minnesota
474 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by grace#11
I've actually been thinking about this. I'm a light packer and I'd like to be even more of a light packer. I found a dress that is a quick drying fabric and I was thinking about wearing a bathing suit, covering that with athletic gear, then the dress and wearing that on the flight to the cruise. I can launder all that stuff in the bathroom sink and let it dry overnight. I'd have to bring some undergarments, a scarf or two and probably one extra pair of shoes, but I could (in theory) wear that dress, bathing suit, or athletic gear everywhere and "pack" in a one gallon ziploc bag. I'd love to give that a try, but I don't know if my husband would be okay with that. I'm aiming to do our next cruise with a backpack and a 21" wheeled carry-on. Just to see if I can...
I've managed to pack several suits, dress clothes and casual clothes into a very small carry on for a week's worth of work travel before. It's just a matter of strategy and tips like tying your sneakers around the luggage handle to take up less space. Good luck. For the cruise, I'll bring my "trunk."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 20 - Carnival Panorama (Mexican Riviera)
March 19 - MSC Seaside (Western Caribbean)
August 18 - Carnival Vista (Southern Caribbean)
March 17 - NCL Escape (Eastern Caribbean)
March 16 - NCL Escape (Eastern Caribbean)

August 02 - RCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
Michigan, USA
78 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by mark290
You could also play a round of golf with just a 7 iron but why would you.
I think the difference is that my golf game would suffer with only a 7-iron. I'm not sure my cruise enjoyment would suffer due to lack of a particular shirt... (though again, perhaps my wife would disagree)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you and I agree on everything, then one of us is redundant.
New York
66 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Well that right there is brilliant - thanks!

Originally posted by LakeWobegon
... tips like tying your sneakers around the luggage handle to take up less space. ...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Norwegian Escape - 2019 (Bermuda - from New York)
_____

Past Cruises:
Norwegian Star - 2017 (Dubrovnik, Katakalon, Athens, Kotor, Split - from Venice)
Liberty of the Seas - 2015 (Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax - from Bayonne)
Explorer of the Seas - 2013 (Bermuda, St Thomas, St Martin, Puerto Rico - from Bayonne)
Disney Wonder - 2002 (Bahamas - from Pt Canaveral)
Norwegian Sea - 2002 (Bahamas - from Miami)
Cincinnati
3,712 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
I've not done this. What are you planning on wearing? Winter clothes I presume?? The problem with this will just be that the types of clothes you can buy onboard aren't necessarily the type of clothes to attempt this with.

We did something similar recently. Nowhere close to that extreme but very light packing for a long trip where it was wash/wear/wash/wear.

Ideally you'll want light weight clothing (I used the wicking shirts they give you at a run and got a couple pairs of light weight shorts at outdoors stores...we also got a pair of the khakis with the zip off legs so the doubled as pants in the evening). The light weight stuff is the only thing that will dry fast enough to wear it the next day.

Btw, I don't recommend this considering you don't need much to begin with for a 7 day cruise, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
6,037 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Son of a son of a ...
I usually bring a bunch of old clothes, old sandals, almost spent toiletries, etc and leave the crap in the cabin when I leave.
We did that one year at WDW with the kids! All of those rec sports shirts? Packed matching colors for each day, left them all behind.
USA
1,027 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We went on a 28 day cruise to Australia with 3 weeks after with only carry on! It can be done.
32 day Asia/Middle east plus one week after in Hong Kong....piece of cake, nothing but carry on. But, wearing only what you have on?? Not sure, but be sure to let us know if you do.

I am currently trying to down size to just a back pack. How about that? A few tshirts, shorts, undies, etc. You could do it and then won't have to worry about buying anything.

I don't think your wife will go for it, but my husband happily did. We have now traveled all over the world with just carry on. It is great. Good luck!
Las Vegas
211 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by cb at sea
I don't know why you'd need winter AND summer clothes....
Winter clothes because they are only a few weeks away, and it still may be cold at home when they leave and come back. The winter clothes will be what they wear getting to and from the ship
Edinboro,PA
3,252 Posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nice thread.
In a related note,
On a few cruises, I've taken clothes that with a tip and nod from our Cabin Steward,
I've left behind.
Why take home laundry?
Midwest
1,992 Posts
Joined May 2005
Why did you need to tip and nod to your cabin steward? I routinely do this on every vacation cruise or otherwise. I just threw them in the trash.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up...

17 Trips/15 Ships/9 Lines/48 Ports
Queens - New York
2,508 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Went to alaska with just carry on. Bought so many souvenirs that we had to wear all our heavy stuff home...to NYC during an August heatwave!!
Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING

10/08/2017 Norwegian Breakaway Florida Ron & Bev
09/02/2017 MSC Divina 7 days turned into 13 hurricane Irma-wellness balcony 13126
01/14/2017 Norwegian Epic Mexico/Jamaica/Grand Cayman-inside
12/29/2016 Norwegian Pearl NY EVE Panama Canal-inside bad bathroom
08/07/2016 Norwegian Pearl 10107 (inside) ALASKA/Seattle
06/12/2016 Norwegian Gem 1119 (inside) New England/Canada w/Ron &\Bev
01/10/2016 Norwegian Star 11612 (large balcony) W. Caribbean 7 day
08/09/2015 Norwegian Breakaway 11174(balcony) Bermuda 7 day
02/13/2015 Norwegian Breakaway 11758 balcony 2 night quickie
01/12/2015 Norwegian Gem 9628(balcony) Caribbean 9 days
11/07/2014 Norwegian Gem 10648(balcony) 2 night 35 Anniversay Getaway
04/04/2014 Norwegian Gem 8108(oceanview) One quick night
01/31/2014 Norweigan Breakaway 13246(balcony) 2 night quickie
01/11/2014 Norwegian Gem 10668(aft balcony) Caribbean 9 days
08/03/2013 Norwegian Gem Bahamas 7 days with daughter and fiance
06/16/2013 Norwegian Breakaway 5726(oceanview) Bermuda 7 days with friends
01/09/2013 Norwegian Gem- 5529(inside) Caribbean 9 days
01/14/2012 Norwegian Jewel -10668(aft balcony) Bahamas With daughter & BF 7 days
01/12/2011 Norwegian Jewel 10617(inside)- Caribbean 10 days
03/14/2009 Norwegian Gem 9th floor(inside)- - Bahamas 7 days
08/16/1980 Queen Elizabeth 2 - Cunard Line (oceanview) With wife's parents 7 day
11/04/1979 Carnivale - Carnival Cruises HONEYMOON E109(inside) 7 days from Miami
Midwest
1,992 Posts
Joined May 2005
In fact, our family does this so commonly that we call it "going on vacation". Like, "the shirt looks like it is starting to feel a little bit. I guess it's getting ready to go on vacation."

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up...

17 Trips/15 Ships/9 Lines/48 Ports
Edinboro,PA
3,252 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by the_dylaness
Why did you need to tip and nod to your cabin steward? I routinely do this on every vacation cruise or otherwise.
I just threw them in the trash.
I tell my cabin steward in advance. It's an extra bag of stuff for him to differ with.
The ship recycles.
Instead of throwing good clothes into the trash,
leave them for the crew.
I was told that crew in the engine room are to most welcome to all clothing.
BTW (I do throw underwear with skid marks in the trash).lol

Curious... why did you have to tell me "Sent from my iPhone" ?
835 Posts
Joined Jul 2011

Really ???
Perhaps you can use this's strategy fo