BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:50 AM.
4,272 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I hope it is OK that I posted this. If not, please remove.

I always purchase the travel insurance from Princess but I am thinking of also purchasing MedJet Assist. It sounds like they fly you home if you are sick or injured. I think this is the company that Pam in CA has talked about before but I'm not sure.

Have you purchased this? Hopefully, Pam also sees my post.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Star Princess 5/2018 Alaska Southbound (Whittier to Vancouver) with Friends #12
Ruby Princess 2/17/18 with G (5 Day Cabo) #11
Celebrity Infinity 9/2017 with G and WFs (7 Day CA Coastal) #2
Ruby Princess 9/30/16 4 day with the Besties #10
Ruby Princess 9/19/16 Vancouver to LA 3 Day Cruise with G #9
Crown Princess 1/3/15 (3 Day Cruise) #8
Golden Princess 11/14/2014 (3 Day Cruise) #7
Celebrity Century 4/5/14 (7 Day, CA Coastal) #1
Sapphire Princess 3/15/14 (4 Day Cruise) #6
Golden Princess 11/2013 (Solo) #4 & #5
Golden Princess 10/18/2013 (3 Day Cruise) #3
Star Princess 5/2013 (Alaska with G) #2
Sapphire Princess 10/13/2012 (CA Coastal Bday Cruise) #1
Carnival Splendor 10/2011 #7
Carnival Paradise 10/2011 #6
Carnival Spirit 2/2011 9 Day #5
Carnival Splendor 1/23/2011 (Canceled Due to Fire)
Carnival Splendor 12/05/2010 (Canceled Due to Fire)
Carnival Paradise 1/2010 #4
Carnival Paradise 12/09 (4 Day With My Daughter) #3
Radiance OTS 10/09 (5 Day Girls Cruise-It's Our Bdays!) #2
Carnival Elation 02/09 #2
Carnival Paradise 10/08 (3 Day With Hurricane Norbert) #1
Monarch OTS 8/08 (4 day With My Daughter) #1
Aliso Viejo, CA
42,584 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Yup. We bought MedJet Assist for years and used them to fly my brother-in-law home back in 2010 from FLL. Very reasonable. They will fly you from anywhere in the world to anywhere you need or want to be on a medical jet with nurse, etc.

Completely separate from Princess insurance which will fly you to the nearest major medical center. If that medical center is 3,000 miles from home, they’ll fly you home on a commercial flight. We ran into this when we were told at first that Princess would fly my BIL back to CA but then they said it would only be commercial. He was still in critical condition but stable, and obviously unable to fly commercially. So, they declined to fly him.

Interestingly, I posted on CC what they said and two hours later, called my sister and said they would be happy to make arrangements for a medical jet. By then, it was all arranged with MedJet. They took care of everything, including coordinating with the hospitals on both ends and transfer from hospitals to/from airports. Pretty sure they flew him into SNA even though it was 2am as that was the closest airport to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo. Not sure and never found out.

Once you turn 75, the price goes way up and you need doctors forms filled out. I didn’t renew once I turned 75. I think there’s a discount with AAA membership. It’s worth getting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Regal Princess: 11/1/18 10-day NY > FLL
Royal Princess: 4/27/19 Mexican Riviera
Royal Princess: 5/4/19 CA Coastal LA > Vancouver
Sky Princess: 11/17/19 Barcelona to FLL
The low desert, AZ
3,672 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Pam in CA
Yup. We bought MedJet Assist for years and used them to fly my brother-in-law home back in 2010 from FLL. Very reasonable. They will fly you from anywhere in the world to anywhere you need or want to be on a medical jet with nurse, etc.
Once you turn 75, the price goes way up and you need doctors forms filled out. I didn’t renew once I turned 75. I think there’s a discount with AAA membership. It’s worth getting.
We agree that MedJet Assist is worth getting. The AAA insurance is a different insurance and coverage and is called EA+ I believe. Less expensive, but, they will only fly you on a commercial flight with a medical assistant. We also buy the Princess coverage and it has paid off more than once. Fortunately, not for anything too serious so far.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back."
Steven Wright

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Chico, California
11,783 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
We purchased Medjet Assist last year and will purchase it again this year. The only caveat is you must be admitted to a hospital before they will come fly you home. We purchased a 1 year (365 days from date of purchase) policy that covered us for our 7 week camping trip, a 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise, and a 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise. Fortunately we didn't need the policy but it was good to know it was there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Aliso Viejo, CA
42,584 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by ar1950
We agree that MedJet Assist is worth getting. The AAA insurance is a different insurance and coverage and is called EA+ I believe.
I was wrong. It’s AARP that offers a discount for MedJet Assist. https://medjetassist.com/aarp-discount
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Regal Princess: 11/1/18 10-day NY > FLL
Royal Princess: 4/27/19 Mexican Riviera
Royal Princess: 5/4/19 CA Coastal LA > Vancouver
Sky Princess: 11/17/19 Barcelona to FLL
Tampa, Florida area
12,504 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Even though I am past 75, I still think the cost of MedJetAssist is worth the price if for the peace of mind it provides, should it be needed when on cruises in Europe. It's about $100 more per year than before age 75, and will only cover one transport per membership year. But if I'm sick or injured enough to need their services, I seriously doubt I'd be traveling again within that membership year.
Another plus is it also covers me when I am traveling over 150 miles from home within the US.
Texas
2,157 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I have this insurance. It has way too many benefits to list here so I put a link below to its website.
Many organizations offer this insurance to its members at a discount as a membership benefit. I get it through the VFW. I pay $144 per year for my wife and myself. The peace of mind is well worth the cost.

https://www.emergencyassistanceplus.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USS Greenling SSN614
Atlantic Ocean/Barents Sea
11,023 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by Thrak
We purchased Medjet Assist last year and will purchase it again this year. The only caveat is you must be admitted to a hospital before they will come fly you home. We purchased a 1 year (365 days from date of purchase) policy that covered us for our 7 week camping trip, a 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise, and a 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise. Fortunately we didn't need the policy but it was good to know it was there.
The bolded is an important point. There are a lot of conditions I might prefer be handled by a doctor at home, but unless one requires a hospital admission, Medjet Assist will not assist. And more and more procedures are done outpatient these days, which makes Medjet Assist less valuable than in the past. Still, we purchase it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1280 days ~ 128 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
27,059 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by PescadoAmarillo
The bolded is an important point. There are a lot of conditions I might prefer be handled by a doctor at home, but unless one requires a hospital admission, Medjet Assist will not assist. And more and more procedures are done outpatient these days, which makes Medjet Assist less valuable than in the past. Still, we purchase it.
Plus you must be medically stable in order to be transported!

If you go to the hospital with chest pains and need bypass surgery right away - you may not be stable to fly across the world to your home hospital
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me

Next: Crystal Mozart Christmas Markets
Los Angeles Ca.
5,946 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I have a two year policy with them and never buy trip insurance. The major cost of an illness and getting home is transportation. Evacuation can run six figures and that's what's unaffordable. The cost of the cruise, well I'll just eat it. The money saved from buying insurance for each individual trip would be way more then loosing a cruise fare.
Loveland, CO
2,336 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
I am doing several trips and cruises in the next two years, so I did some in depth investigation into travel insurance and found, in my situation, that for the price, I use Princess's insurance. DH and I are in our early 70's and usually it is just the two of us travelling. I also like that when I get all those price drops, the price of the insurance goes down too. And since we are in our 70's, the cost is equal to or better than insuremytrip.com, etc.

But then there was that travel home possibility. So I bought two years of Medjet for that expensive possibility. So I feel secure at this point in covering my travel insurance needs without breaking the bank. Now, for example, I am doing a family cruise and went with independent insurance that time as the family is much younger, and children are free, etc., so going independent was less expensive in that case.

So it just depends on how much peace of mind you want and how much you want to be self insured.

Pooh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess - 29 Days South Pacific(New Zealand), 04/2020
Regal Princess - 24 Night Northern Europe Grand Adventure, 08/2019
Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with Family!, 05/2019
Grand Princess - 10 Night Mexican Riviera, 03/2019 (WS!)
Royal Prncess - 19 Night Maple Explorer Tour 2B, 10/2018
Caribbean Princess- 7 Night Western Caribbean, 07/28/2018
Royal Princess - 10 Nt. Southern Caribbean Medley, 03/2018
Ruby Princess - Alaska Inside Passage, 09/2016
RCCL Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean, 04/2016
Star Princess - Hawaiian Cruise, 04/2015

HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, 03/11
Coral Princess(Grand Canal)- 02/10
HAL Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean - 11/08
Coral Princess- Panama- 10/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern - 02/07
Brilliance of the Seas - Med.(Venice) - 09/06
Celebrity Summit - Ultimate Southern - 04/05
HAL Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean - 05/04
HAL Rotterdam - Panama Canal - 10/03
Sea Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/00
MS Niew Amsterdam - Alaska - 06/91
NCL Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 06/90
Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 10/89
27,059 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by PoohUnderstands
I use Princess's insurance. DH and I are in our early 70's and usually it is just the two of us travelling. I also like that when I get all those price drops, the price of the insurance goes down too. And since we are in our 70's, the cost is equal to or better than insuremytrip.com, etc.

So it just depends on how much peace of mind you want and how much you want to be self insured.
I actually buy 3rd party insurance as I want peace of mind and to have better coverage for medical coverage. 20K in medical coverage (what Apple offers) is very minimal, even with Medjet Assist.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me

The low desert, AZ
3,672 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Coral
I actually buy 3rd party insurance as I want peace of mind and to have better coverage for medical coverage. 20K in medical coverage (what Apple offers) is very minimal, even with Medjet Assist.
I didn't know that Apple offered travel coverage.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back."
Steven Wright

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
27,059 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by ar1950
I didn't know that Apple offered travel coverage.....
OMG - What Princess offers......! I was doing some work earlier.

Too funny - thanks for the correction.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me

Chico, California
11,783 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
OMG - What Princess offers......! I was doing some work earlier.

Too funny - thanks for the correction.
How awful. Not only that you were doing work but also that your work should involve Apple in any way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

3,725 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Plus you must be medically stable in order to be transported!

If you go to the hospital with chest pains and need bypass surgery right away - you may not be stable to fly across the world to your home hospital
Plus you also have to be someplace where they can reach by one of their jets. No jet accessable runway, no transfer. Can make for an interesting problem in some places such as some Caribbean and south Pacific islands. Since even if you where admitted to a hospital, you would then have to get transferred at your own expense to another hospital close to a jet accessable runway while still being admitted.
League City, TX
42,377 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Once you turn 75, the price goes way up and you need doctors forms filled out. I didn’t renew once I turned 75. I think there’s a discount with AARP membership. It’s worth getting.
Medjet AARP discount is 10%.

Cost for two people for age 75-84 with the AARP discount for a year is $790. Also, as Pam mentioned, there are medical forms to fill out for this age group.

On one form you list every physician you have seen in the last five years for a variety of ailments from high blood pressure to allergies to arthritis. For each physician named on that form, there is a form the physician must fill out. In addition, you must have had a physical completed in the last 12 months and a form filled out by that doctor.
4,272 Posts
Joined Jan 2009

Completely separate from Princess insurance which will fly you to the nearest major medical center. If that medical center is 3,000 miles from home, they’ll fly you home on a commercial flight. We ran into this when we were told at first that Princess would fly my BIL back to CA but then they said it would only be commercial. He was still in critical condition but stable, and obviously unable to fly commercially. So, they declined to fly him.

Interestingly, I posted on CC what they said and two hours later, called my sister and said they would be happy to make arrangements for a medical jet. By then, it was all arranged with MedJet. They took care of everything, including coordinating with the hospitals on both ends and transfer from hospitals to/from airports. Pretty sure they flew him into SNA even though it was 2am as that was the closest airport to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo. Not sure and never found out.

Thank you, Pam. I thought this was the insurance you had spoke of. I wonder if I can purchase this from AAA.? I sent an email asking about it. This really sounds like something that I would like to purchase for peace of mind. I really could have used this when I was so ill a few years ago. Thanks again!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4,272 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I have been wanting the new iPad. Darn, I thought I could order some insurance to go with that .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature