Port Melbourne- Station Pier could take advantage of Sydney's procrastination.

If the Victorian Government was smart it would encourage the new owners of the Port of Melbourne to invest in a major redevelopment of Station Pier and Princes Pier. Sydney is about to lose more cruise business due to continual delays in deciding on new port infrastructure.

Newer and bigger ships will not be able to fit under the Sydney Harbour bridge anyhow so Sydney loses it's attraction.

Plenty of tourist dollars up for grabs Victoria....do it!;p

I agree - it would be great to see more cruise lines embark from Melbourne. Whilst P & O & Princess have a few itineries to chose from the ships are older. I would like to see some of the newer and high end ships embark from Melbourne.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the Victorian Government was smart it would encourage the new owners of the Port of Melbourne to invest in a major redevelopment of Station Pier and Princes Pier. Sydney is about to lose more cruise business due to continual delays in deciding on new port infrastructure.

Newer and bigger ships will not be able to fit under the Sydney Harbour bridge anyhow so Sydney loses it's attraction.

Plenty of tourist dollars up for grabs Victoria....do it!;p

Unfortunately Melbourne needs to do a lot more than just upgrade the facilities at Station pier to get the bigger ships in. The navigation into and out of Port Phillip Bay is not ideal for the larger ships and can be very hazardous. Tight turns and wind are a bad combination for cruise ships.

Unfortunately Melbourne needs to do a lot more than just upgrade the facilities at Station pier to get the bigger ships in. The navigation into and out of Port Phillip Bay is not ideal for the larger ships and can be very hazardous. Tight turns and wind are a bad combination for cruise ships.

Port Melbourne has had many visits from the large cruise ships including all the Queens. The issue is probably more the weather.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app