Paper Bag Tags - staples?

Doing first cruise with paper bag tags. It says you staple them.

Do you take a stapler in your hand luggage to do this?:confused:

Are staplers allowed on planes?:rolleyes:

Do the luggage handlers walk around with staplers ready to assist:eek:

Do you ignore the paper bag tags and just get proper ones at the pier?

IMHO, it's not worth messing around with tape and staples, especially since we have to fly, when it's easy to order reusable luggage tags from Amazon. Take a look, you may like them as well.

BTW - in regards to getting tags at the pier, I personally fell better about using the printed tags. They're coded and more importantly easy to read.

I haven't went on the cruise with stapling my own printed tag yet but I was wondering do you need to laminate it first or put some sort of clear packaging tape on it first ? Or do you just staple the plain printed paper tag. I'm concerning with the plain paper tag, even if you stapled it, it can easily be torn apart take into considerations that there are thousands of luggage being thrown around before delivered to your cabin.

Thanks to someone here at CC several of us has been ordering a reusable tag holder found at Favors by Serendipity. In fact when you check out they ask where you heard about them and one of the choices on their drop down menu is Cruise Critic.

Doing first cruise with paper bag tags. It says you staple them.

Do you take a stapler in your hand luggage to do this?:confused:

Are staplers allowed on planes?:rolleyes:

Do the luggage handlers walk around with staplers ready to assist:eek:

Do you ignore the paper bag tags and just get proper ones at the pier?

Tape them with clear plastic, fold them in half and poke a hole through the ends where they meet after folding them over. Bring some plastic zip ties and as you are heading for the ship, tie them to your luggage. Works like a charm

Tape them with clear plastic, fold them in half and poke a hole through the ends where they meet after folding them over. Bring some plastic zip ties and as you are heading for the ship, tie them to your luggage. Works like a charm

I do the same as far as the clear tape, but I use a ponytail holder to put on the luggage. Then, when I take them off, I have my holder. Also, I think the elastic is not as likely to tear through the tape & paper.

Just stick the tags in your purse/carryon & wait until after you fly to put them on the bags.

For those of us who only cruise once every year or two or three years :) , no need to use staples, buy tag holders, etc. Buy 1 roll of clear packing tape at dollar store (for a dollar, it's only 45 yds) and cover the tags with tape completely. Then either attach with tape at home or put tape & tags in front pocket of luggage. Then use tape to connect the two ends in a loop onto luggage. Since you're printing them yourself, you can make the loop as long as needed. Total cost $1.00.

For those of us who only cruise once every year or two or three years :) , no need to use staples, buy tag holders, etc. Buy 1 roll of clear packing tape at dollar store (for a dollar, it's only 45 yds) and cover the tags with tape completely. Then either attach with tape at home or put tape & tags in front pocket of luggage. Then use tape to connect the two ends in a loop onto luggage. Since you're printing them yourself, you can make the loop as long as needed. Total cost $1.00.

My edit time has expired. You need to wait until you get to the port to attach tags if you're flying in because you shouldn't fly with non-essential tags on your luggage. Sorry:)

Thanks to someone here at CC several of us has been ordering a reusable tag holder found at Favors by Serendipity. In fact when you check out they ask where you heard about them and one of the choices on their drop down menu is Cruise Critic.

The ones I got from Serendipity are really nice. Good size. I don't like the rubber ties though, so we found some nice straps that were pretty cheap. Since we cruise so often, much easier than using zip ties all the time. So now we are set, got the holders and the ties and will use them for the first time on our Sept 21st cruise. Next week's cruise is the last one I got the actual luggage tags in the mail.

Having only sailed Carnival up until our Med cruise next spring, we are alumni of the Paper Luggage Tag group.

First Cruise: Did exactly as directed... printed, folded, stapled. Added bonus: Watching the tags get shredded when the porter threw our bags into the luggage bins.

Second Cruise: Got a little smarter. Note "a little". Stapled the heck out of those paper tags. Too bad they got wet during loading.

Third & Fourth Cruises: Hello packing tape. Printed, folded, packing-tape-laminated. Had the hotel staple the heck out of em. Success.

Future Cruises: Yep, going with those reusable plastic luggage tag holders Amazon. I'm a little slow but eventually I catch up with the smart ones... lol

~ Sheryl

While you are packing your stapler you may want to remember to pack:

1. A loaf of bread, bologna, and cheese in case the ship runs out of food

2. Towels, you never know, your room attendant may forget

3. Bed sheets, why sleep on someone else's when you can sleep on your own

4. Universal Remote, RCI doesn't provide good enough ones

5. Boombox with caribbean music, in case they forget to play it

6. Carpet Squares with the days of the week on them...

7. Backup generator- A Costa ship lost power for days this year while cruising.

8. Toilet paper

9. Garbage sacks

10. A tent - you never know

Actually, the toilet paper is not a bad idea!! Wish I could squeeze in a couple rolls of extra soft charmin!

Actually, the toilet paper is not a bad idea!! Wish I could squeeze in a couple rolls of extra soft charmin!

Actually if you did that you would likely clog up the sewage system on board! They use that thin paper for a reason!! :D

Archived