2014 -- Amsterdam -- Kodiak

Krazy Kruizers

Ooops, mean Kodiak.

6 visits to Kodiak, sounds like some great options. I don't find the Homer cruise ship "stop" of much value to anyone who has the option to add days to a one way cruise. Way too limited compared to at least a 2 night stop, independently. :)

I'd heard rumblings about this months ago, and am SO glad its coming back. A few of us who already sailed on the 14 day itinerary twice have been talking about a 2014 comeback, and planning to sail together if it indeed was true. Woo-hoo! So happy about that.

Sorry, but I disagree with you, BQ, that the Homer stop on this itinerary not being of much value. As I said, I've sailed the 14 day HAL itinerary twice, and Homer and Kodiak quickly became our favorites. We loaded the day in Homer with activities each time, and it made me hunger for more....so much so that we've rented a house in Homer for a week for this coming June. So those stops in Homer actually have great value for those on board - it whetted OUR appetites for more:D!

I'd heard rumblings about this months ago, and am SO glad its coming back. A few of us who already sailed on the 14 day itinerary twice have been talking about a 2014 comeback, and planning to sail together if it indeed was true. Woo-hoo! So happy about that.

Sorry, but I disagree with you, BQ, that the Homer stop on this itinerary not being of much value. As I said, I've sailed the 14 day HAL itinerary twice, and Homer and Kodiak quickly became our favorites. We loaded the day in Homer with activities each time, and it made me hunger for more....so much so that we've rented a house in Homer for a week for this coming June. So those stops in Homer actually have great value for those on board - it whetted OUR appetites for more:D!

We also did the 14 day itinerary twice and loved it.

We also enjoyed Homer both times -- spent a few hours walking all over the spit and having a cocktail and some lunch.

The first time we were in Kodiak not much was open. But this past summer, a lot more businesses were open considering it was a Sunday.

We would love to do this itinerary again.

But I am afraid that it is going to be from Vancouver. And for us having very few flights to anywhere and even fewer once American and US Airways merge will be a nightmare.

We will not fly across the country with 2 stops instead of 1, spending hours to get to Vancouver -- our health could not handle it.

Frankly there has NOT been one place I have been in Alaska that I had to "whet" my appetite for. My choices have all been very worthwhile and enjoyable.

So you're going to be there for a week, great. 3-4 days allows my Homer preferences, and I'm usually in Alaska a month. Different plans that have to be your own. :)

Are you cruising? Any other areas you touring? Some would benefit from some "different" planning priorities.

Yes, we'll be in Alaska for roughly 2 1/2 weeks, BQ, and no, we're not cruising this time. Flying into Anchorage after midnight on May 30th, and renting a car the next morning to drive up to Denali, 3 nights at Healy Heights Cabins, two shuttle days into the park we hope. Then we head down to Glacier View near Matnuska for 3 nights at Homestead Cabins. Then we drive down to Homer for 7 nights, then back up to Anchorage for one night before we fly to Seattle for an overnight, then flying home to PA on 6/15. We've already got so much planned for our Homer week that I'm not sure we're going to be able to fit it in:) - but we'll have fun trying! Hoping to spend a day w/a realtor because we'd sure like to buy a place up there and eventually retire in that area or maybe up near Anchor Point. Homer truly did steal our hearts and I relish any time we can spend there - I'm thinking even a week won't be enough!

If you don't mind me asking, what ports were included in the 14-day itinerary?

Thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, what ports were included in the 14-day itinerary?

Thanks.

2011:

0 Boarded in Seattle

1. At Sea Inside Passage

2. Ketchikan

3. Tracy Arm Cruising

4. Juneau

5. Icy Strait

6. At Sea

7. Anchorage

8. Homer

9. Kodiak

10. Hubbard Glacier

11. Sitka

12. At Sea

13. Victoria

14. Disembark Seattle

In 2010:

The 14 day itineray visited Skagway instead of Icy Strait and Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm.

We loved the itinerary and did it twice of the 3 years that HAL offered it.

So far a definite itinerary for 2014 has not been published.

I realize that itinerary posting is a little ways off --- any thoughts on when HAL will be posting Alaska deployment for 2014?

• 2 months later...

the June and August 2014 cruises do not go to Skagway where we had hoped to do the tour to Emerald lake either via private van or train and van combo....so I was just looking for things to do in Homer and Kodiak and the search popped up with this thread, so I thought I would add in the itineraries for 2014 . Anchorage is from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., so I have emailed for info from Major Marine on their transportation and PWS packages. Serious contender for us to book.

2011:

0 Boarded in Seattle

1. At Sea Inside Passage

2. Ketchikan

3. Tracy Arm Cruising

4. Juneau

5. Icy Strait

6. At Sea

7. Anchorage

8. Homer

9. Kodiak

10. Hubbard Glacier

11. Sitka

12. At Sea

13. Victoria

14. Disembark Seattle

In 2010:

The 14 day itineray visited Skagway instead of Icy Strait and Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm.

the June and August 2014 cruises do not go to Skagway where we had hoped to do the tour to Emerald lake either via private van or train and van combo....so I was just looking for things to do in Homer and Kodiak and the search popped up with this thread, so I thought I would add in the itineraries for 2014 . Anchorage is from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., so I have emailed for info from Major Marine on their transportation and PWS packages. Serious contender for us to book.

Here is my review with lots of pictures from last summer, it was a fantastic trip and I hope to do it again! Maybe it will help you decide on some excursions http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1672825

great way to enjoy my lunchtime! thanks again..I am sure we are going to book the 14 day for either June or August next summer

:)

Here is my review with lots of pictures from last summer, it was a fantastic trip and I hope to do it again! Maybe it will help you decide on some excursions http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1672825

Wilma and I are on the earlier cruise. The ports of call are as you state, the sailing date is May 18th 2014.

While we have not been to Anchorage or Homer, we have seen the rest of the ports. We found that the bus ride at Kodiak was very good, it included a tour of the 'winery' and since we come from wine country we found it interesting. The wine, made from local berries was nothing to write home about, but the shirt that I got there never fails to draw a comment or two,when I go wine tasting at home.

I have just started a thread for the cruise.

john

Archived