Oasis of the Seas Live: Float Out and Ship Tour

Dan Askin

Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic's Editor in Chief Carolyn Spencer Brown will be at STX Europe Finland shipyard in Turku, Finland tomorrow to witness the revolutionary Oasis of the Seas -- the largest cruise ship every built (by 40 percent!) -- take to the water for the first time. This is known as the "float out" in maritime parlance.

In addition to attending the official float out ceremony, she'll be taking a tour of the under-construction behemoth. Since it's still roughly a year from launch, Oasis' guts will look pretty much like what you'd expect from a construction zone -- exposed wires, pneumatic tubing, metal frame, stacks of lumber -- but from the outside, we'll begin to get an idea of how the ship's now iconic "skyscrapers," housing inward-facing boardwalk and central park balconies, are shaping up.

And that's not it. Brown will also get a sneak peek at a life-size mockup of one of Oasis' revolutionary two-story loft cabins during a tour of STX Europe Cabins (the yard's onsite cabin factory).

There are sure to be a few other surprises to announce during the day. Stay tuned for photo-heavy reports from the scene.

If you have any questions for Carolyn, post away!

Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic's Editor in Chief Carolyn Spencer Brown will be at STX Europe Finland shipyard in Turku, Finland tomorrow to witness the revolutionary Oasis of the Seas -- the largest cruise ship every built (by 40 percent!) -- take to the water for the first time. This is known as the "float out" in maritime parlance.

In addition to attending the official float out ceremony, she'll be taking a tour of the under-construction behemoth. Since it's still roughly a year from launch, Oasis' guts will look pretty much like what you'd expect from a construction zone -- exposed wires, pneumatic tubing, metal frame, stacks of lumber -- but from the outside, we'll begin to get an idea of how the ship's now iconic "skyscrapers," housing inward-facing boardwalk and central park balcony balconies, are shaping up.

And that's not it. Brown will also get a sneak peek at a life-size mockup of one of Oasis' revolutionary two-story loft cabins during a tour of STX Europe Cabins (the yard's onsite cabin factory).

There are sure to be a few other surprises to announce during the day. Stay tuned for photo-heavy reports from the scene.

If you have any questions for Carolyn, post away!

Great news... hoping to see a photo or two of this big event when Oasis will be in its natural element 'the sea' :)

Will you be posting those updates and pics here on this thread or will it be somewhere else, don't want to miss anything.:)

That's right, we'll be posting updates and pics here on this thread. We'll also be working on a separate piece about the float out ceremony itself, but will be sure to let the folks know when it's up. Here's another resource: Our Countdown to Oasis of the Seas page. It's an homage to Oasis.

Thanks,

Hi Carolyn

Could you please ask those in the "know" if the Oasis is still on schedule for delivery in Nov 09 and therefore be heading across the pond on the 4th Nov 09.

Thanks

Great question Liz..:)

We were talking about this tonight at dinner (Royal Caribbean UK p.r., UK journalists). Normally it's about 16 hours or so, so those who attend the float out don't, alas, actually get to see the ship float! I think with Oasis it'll probably be a touch longer....

I am hoping on Saturday, mid-day, to go 'round to the peninsula that faces Oasis across the river and shoot some photos but it's going to be a grey day here and I can't promise anything....

Carolyn

My question is how long of a process to fill this dock with water for the floatout of Oasis

We can't wait for the float out.... we just got back from the Indy Transatlantic crossing. It sure was a great cruise and we met a lot of wonderful new friends. The seas were calm and the days sunny, it was so pleasurable to have the fall back in time in increments so we got an extra hour of sleep every now and then. Still not sure if we liked the Indy or the Liberty better! The TV's were very nice and they were better than those on the Freedom and Liberty. The tea pot in the cabin was so nice we hope they put them on all the RCI ships.

We also got to see the Solstice in Fort Lauderdale on our way to port and she will be our next B2B cruise in March.

Irene & Miles

Yes, right here! We'll have a news item on the float out (in the news item spot) but otherwise, all photos and comments right here.

Carolyn

Will you be posting those updates and pics here on this thread or will it be somewhere else, don't want to miss anything.:)

We can't wait for the float out.... we just got back from the Indy Transatlantic crossing. It sure was a great cruise and we met a lot of wonderful new friends. The seas were calm and the days sunny, it was so pleasurable to have the fall back in time in increments so we got an extra hour of sleep every now and then. Still not sure if we liked the Indy or the Liberty better! The TV's were very nice and they were better than those on the Freedom and Liberty. The tea pot in the cabin was so nice we hope they put them on all the RCI ships.

We also got to see the Solstice in Fort Lauderdale on our way to port and she will be our next B2B cruise in March.

Irene & Miles

Welcome back Irene, glad to hear you guys had a great time.

Thanks for info on tomorrow all, will be here to see it all as it comes in.:)

OMGosh, She's simply beautiful! Thank you so much for this thread, and the amazing pictures.

I'll be glued to the computer tomorrow. Carolyn,

,just to make sure I understand the process. Are you saying they will begin filling the tank tomorrow, but Oasis won't actually float till sometime Saturday?

Hi Liz, this is Brenda from the cruise we took years ago on the Navigator of the Seas (2004) with you and your son. Are you thinking of cruising on the Oasis? I really want to and am going to try to talk my husband into booking in Jan or Feb 2010.

I am really looking forward to hearing about the Oasis of the Seas's Float out.

Brenda

Hi, Liz. It's cold in a good way. Ran into Richard Fain at breakfast and he said that after spending yesterday on the ship, he was literally frozen -- and had a good ol' Finnish sauna last night to thaw out!

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn

Is it cold up there tonight ?

Float out starts around 4 p.m., 4:30 p.m.

And yes, the dock will take a long while to fill. We'll just see the beginning today.

Carolyn

OMGosh, She's simply beautiful! Thank you so much for this thread, and the amazing pictures.

I'll be glued to the computer tomorrow. Carolyn,

,just to make sure I understand the process. Are you saying they will begin filling the tank tomorrow, but Oasis won't actually float till sometime Saturday?

Hi Liz, this is Brenda from the cruise we took years ago on the Navigator of the Seas (2004) with you and your son. Are you thinking of cruising on the Oasis? I really want to and am going to try to talk my husband into booking in Jan or Feb 2010.

I am really looking forward to hearing about the Oasis of the Seas's Float out.

Brenda

I'm obviously not Liz, but I am a Brenda:D

Just thought I would answer this for Liz since she isn't on yet. Liz is on the Inaugural sailing. We have a huge roll call if you would like to check it out. We would love to have you join us on what is sure to be a history making voyage:D Hope to see you there;)

Archived