Souda Port at Chania, Crete???

wantocruisemore

Our ship is docking at the Souda Port at Chania, Crete next July. This is the one stop I do not have pre-arranged private tours. I had the impression that everything was walking distance after getting off the ship (the old town at least). Now I'm not so sure. I just looked at some of the excursions available through RCCL for our Navigator sailing in July. They all seem to imply that any sites are at least a 30 min. drive from the port, some further.

We had just planned to have a relaxing day sightseeing at our own pace for Chania. Will we be able to do that or should I try to arrange something? We will be 9 of us and I had hoped for a slower day around the port. Is that possible and still see some things worthwhile? Since there are 9 of us I don't want to waste time trying to negotiate with 2 or more taxi drivers once we get to port if I should arrange something ahead of time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Did anyone learn anything at all? Souda is 4.3 miles from Chania.

I think most of the cruises start there in May. Our cruise is July so we are waiting on the others first to see reviews. But I did find out about a city bus that will take you for a couple of euros from the port into the town. That's likely what we will do.

The following is an email sent to me from the Chania bus company.

Hello mrs Carol

The bus stop from Souda to Chania Central is about 50 metres distance from the port. When a cruise ship arrives at the port the frequency of the buses is every 5 minutes. The fare is 1.50 € Souda - Chania. Could you please inform us about the day and the time of the cruiseship arrival at Souda port.

Have a nice stay.

Antonis Konstantoudakis

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been on a _cruise_ to Crete, but I have traveled to Chania 5-6 times for vacations, and I have driven past Souda Bay on several occasions. It is NOT a walking distance to anything but one of the allied cemetery from world world 2 (wich is in self really worth a visit, it is beautifully kept and there is a memorial for all the fallen there).

The old town of Chania is really worth a visit, as it is beautifully kept. I have a few favourite places we always visit when we are there. One of them is a cooperative for Cretan artist, where they have thousands of paintings at more than resonable prices (the price is usually €100, or can be "negotiated" to that price). It is situated in a small basement of a stone house in a back alley in the old town. There are also a couple of really nice restaurants, in buldings dating back to the 17th century with a ton of history. One of them (Tamarind) is in a old Turkish Bath house, and really worth a visit.

I have marked of a few spots on a map here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=213660214702894389433.00049f839cf3eb27d624c&ll=35.498133,24.039288&spn=0.077425,0.158443&t=k&z=13

I will be on an RCi cruise in June and you would think they would have shuttles from the port to the town like they do in Cofu. We want to go to the beach so I'm hoping we can hail a taxi at the port. I didn't realize Souda was so far from Chania either.

I just got home from the 3/27 of the Mariner of the Seas and we stopped in Souda on 4/2. We were the first cruise ship to stop and they pulled out all the stops for us. There was a canopied area with samples of the local specialties: orange juice, cheese, olives, etc. The best surprise was the bus service. They brought the buses right to the dock and ran it continuously for us. It was 3 euros for a round trip into Chania and they dropped us at the market building. When we bought our bus tickets, there was an info. booth right there with very good maps of Chania. The harbor was beautiful, so make sure you walk all the way over to the port. The bus was EASIER than using a ship transport and definitely a bargain.

How long was the bus ride? Sounds really convenient!

What did you do when you were in Chania? Was it too cold to do the beach?

Thanks!

Stacey

normally bus need 40 minutes from port to Chania town.. maybe buses for cruisers work like "express" without stops and need less time.. if you don't see special buses for cruises you must take the bus with number 21.

Sea has normal temperature after May's middle..

The bus was being run specifically for cruise passengers. No locals were on the buses with us. It was probably a 15 min. ride. We walked around Chania, make sure you walk all the port . . .it is gorgeous. There is plenty of shopping. There are several museums to visit but we didn't stop at any of them. It would have been too cold to swim when we visited. I'm not sure when it becomes beach weather.

The bus was being run specifically for cruise passengers. No locals were on the buses with us. It was probably a 15 min. ride. We walked around Chania, make sure you walk all the port . . .it is gorgeous. There is plenty of shopping. There are several museums to visit but we didn't stop at any of them. It would have been too cold to swim when we visited. I'm not sure when it becomes beach weather.

Thanks for the information. I think just doing on our own and taking it easy touring the town is the best option.

Did you have to reserve the bus ahead of time or did the public bus just show up for the ship and you pay when you get on?

I just got home from the 3/27 of the Mariner of the Seas and we stopped in Souda on 4/2. We were the first cruise ship to stop and they pulled out all the stops for us. There was a canopied area with samples of the local specialties: orange juice, cheese, olives, etc. The best surprise was the bus service. They brought the buses right to the dock and ran it continuously for us. It was 3 euros for a round trip into Chania and they dropped us at the market building. When we bought our bus tickets, there was an info. booth right there with very good maps of Chania. The harbor was beautiful, so make sure you walk all the way over to the port. The bus was EASIER than using a ship transport and definitely a bargain.

I]m going on a cruise and will be in Chania on June 2. The ship will only be there from 7AM till 2 PM Will there be enough time to visit the port? Will they accept US Dollars or do you need Euros? ..Especially to use the bus. Please email me Eve...herbeve48@aol.com

The bus was very easy to use. They set up a kiosk in the port area, right where we got off the ship. Yes, you need to pay in euros, 1.5/one way and 3/round trip. The busses were lined up just beyond the kiosk, still within the port area. As soon as a bus was full, it left. In the morning, they were leaving at least every 10 min. and we didn't wait much more than that coming back. It was no more than a 20 min. ride. Even with a short time in port, you'd have time to go check out Chania. The "tourist" area of Chania is not that big so it is easy to walk down to the port fairly quickly. It depends how much time you want to spend shopping in the market area. The people are thrilled to have cruise ships stopping at Souda so they are going out of their way to make it easy for cruisers to get around.

• 2 weeks later...

The market that you are dropped at is an easy walk to the Chania harbor area. The harbor is very pretty . . . a long breakwater with a lighthouse at the end. It was built by the Venetians. There is plenty of shopping to do. Down at the harbor is a mosque that has been converted into an art cooperative, interesting to look at. There were some other stores that carried more handcrafted items too. There are lots of restaurants and everyone would like your business. You'll have to do a search, but there are several museums down in the area too. We only stopped in a new museum right at the edge of the breakwater to use the bathroom. It didn't look like the museum was really open but the building was open to allow use of the bathrooms. It is definitely a small that is simply walked and enjoyed. (Make sure you grab a map!)

Thanks for all the info. I had a tour with RCCL to do it own your own in Chania, but they cancelled it and said Crete now had the bus service to take you there and back. Do the shops stay open all day or do they close in afternoon??? About how much time would you spend there??? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
This is great news! We are on the 4/29 sailing that is in Souda on 5/9, and this was the only port I hadn't figured out. Crisis averted :)

We want to explore the Cretan countryside rather than spend all our time in town. This fellow was recommended on a website for Crete. Has anyone had experience with him? Here is the tour:

Hi Marianne

Yes we can do a tour who include Akrotiri Stavros the place where Zorbas was made

and the monastery of Gouvenertou. the grave of the Beninzeos and then the old Venetian market in Chania and the Venetian port with the Turkish mask and the Venecian light house

after that we will drive to Aptera a minoan town 4000 years old the small villages of stilos Vamos, on the way we will stop for local coffee with the local people and in the end lunch in a traditional taverna to taste the local food and drinks

As you know my tours are private by taxi , i can hold only 4 people.

is there anything you like to visit that is not in that tour

you have to know Crete is a large island to see everything in that short visit is not possible

Lefteris

He charges 40 Euro per hour. The five hour tour that he describes would come to 200 E for 2 couples. But we hope to have info from someone who has toured with him before.

Marianne

Unsinkable49@gmail.com

Marianne

We're on the 6/19 RCI Navigator. We were hoping to explore the town for a bit, eat lunch in town or on a beach, and a drink or two on waterfront/beach before boarding by 2pm. Any suggestions? Beach vs. Chania town if we must choose? We'll be on day 14 of an 18 day trip, so while we want to experience Crete, also will welcome authentic R&R.