As a first-timer, which mistakes did you make?

Dayenu

Definitely booking ship excursions, and expecting the ship's excursion staff to know intimate details about the excursions. All I needed was CC ;)

I also wish I would have toured around the ship more on the first day so I had a better idea of the general layout. It took me almost the whole week to figure out how to get to the dining rooms ;) Fortunately, NCLs ships have the same basic layout, which is helpful for this directionally-challenged cruiser.

Biggest mistake was taking too many clothes.:confused:

Us too. I think it's a fairly common thing for first-timers to over pack. Also, as first-timers, there was a tendency for us to want to participate in as many on board activities as possible on sea days. Cruising was new to us, and we were so intent on trying to take it all in. We didn't want to miss anything. But we sure wore ourselves out pretty quickly. By our second cruise, we learned to be more selective about what we wanted to do (or not do) on sea days.

I made quite a few mistakes, including overpacking, being unaware of the corkage fee for wine at dinner, packing a travel iron (not allowed--it was confiscated and returned after the cruise) and mixing a little too much sun and tequila on one particular day. :D

I brought so much stuff that I thought I would need, and ended up using very little of it. That taught me a very important lesson (and helped lighten my load).

1st mistake, not signing our passports! Scared the b-geebers out of me when the security guy handed them back and said, not valid passport :confused::eek::mad: Jerk, still not over it!

2nd mistake, not wearing board shorts on the FLO rider....:o

I made the mistake of thinking a Mexican Riviera cruise would be warm. It was when we were in port, but I froze on the ship. Should have tossed in some sweats.

2nd mistake was I bought some cute little sandals for the cruise, but didn't wear them until ON the cruise and ended up with blisters all over my feet.

1st mistake, not signing our passports! Scared the b-geebers out of me when the security guy handed them back and said, not valid passport :confused::eek::mad: Jerk, still not over it!

Don't worry about it.....I've had a passport forever, and still forget to sign each new one until it's handed back to me! :rolleyes:

Jo.

The biggest mistake we made was not leaving the ship as soon as it docked on the first port day. It docked at 9:00 a.m., and then the gangway closed at 9:30 for another ship to come in. We were where I thought we were supposed to be and in line on time, but we missed our excursion. I thought because the delay was a ship concern, and the excursion was through the ship, it would be taken into consideration.

We did not know that breakfast and lunch on most days was available in the MDR. Our first cruise we ate all lunches and breakfasts in the buffet. It turned out that a leisurely breakfast in the MDR is a great way to start the day. And we have met so many nice people at those meals.

Archived