Cunard Queen Victoria Review - Greek Isles July 2017

SonofTertius

Perhaps until my next cruise Mr Toad. It certainly won't be with Cunard

Thanks for an amusing read and the way you have disturbed the serene chant of 'Cunard can do no wrong, Cunard can do no wrong, Cunard are wonderful' with some truths some people would clearly prefer were not mentioned.

And for the Cunard cheerleaders to demand this thread be stopped is just too funny for words.

Thanks for an amusing read and the way you have disturbed the serene chant of 'Cunard can do no wrong, Cunard can do no wrong, Cunard are wonderful' with some truths some people would clearly prefer were not mentioned.

And for the Cunard cheerleaders to demand this thread be stopped is just too funny for words.

Your not alone with those thoughts insanemagnet. ;p

Agree. Only disappointed we won't get to hear the final conclusion. SoT, I really enjoyed your review even as a Cunard enthusiast! I also think you kept your cool very well. Happy sailing whichever line you choose next.

Agree. Only disappointed we won't get to hear the final conclusion. SoT, I really enjoyed your review even as a Cunard enthusiast! I also think you kept your cool very well. Happy sailing whichever line you choose next.

I agree. Go on, for old time's sake. Let's have the final part [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Classic review, pure gold, mirrors some of my observations on QM2 in March.

I can see why some of the dedicated Cunarders on here are shocked.

Such is life.:cool:

Well done Sir.

I would also like to read the final part. Thought his review was a breath of fresh air. I am looking forward to our cruise on QV on Monday in Barcelona. Have done many Cunard cruises, We enjoy them as the ambiance onboard is so different from wh re we live in London.

Part 6 of 6

Conclusion

Like most people in the world, I am a consumer of goods and services; items and experiences which are made available to us by organisations much like Cunard, at a price, and as per demand (direct or indirect) from the consumer. If consumers are willing to pay the price and the product lives up to expectation, the consumer would generally purchase said product again. When a consumer acquires a product for the first time and the product does not live up to expectations, the consumer will move on to the next product, a 'better', 'more innovative' product - it's all a bit subjective.

The organisation would perhaps keep selling the 'failed' (again, subjective) product and might not initially realise that their products are resisting to attract/retain potential repeat customers nevertheless, when a product/service is blatantly 'defective' in terms of the exaggerated promises it makes, it is perhaps time for someone to speak-up, challenge it's continual existence, and question the organisation's values regarding sustainable business ethics and customer satisfaction.

During our 7 day cruise on the Queen Victoria there were only two members of the crew which we were impressed by. I'll let you do the math. There is a definitive 'tell' or 'show' throughout the ship which indicates a lack of training and/or poor attitude from a large number of the employees. This was especially prominent when signing bills or 'checks', even more so if I didn't add an additional percentage onto your automatic 15% 'service charge'. Passengers would perhaps be less suspicious of it if they had called it something else. Let's say for arguments sake; tourism tax. The fact is, we do not like paying for things we do not receive - polished service on Queen Victoria would be one of those things.

We were last minute bookers. Maybe this was our downfall - our own fault. It shouldn't be though. We had still paid for our passage and even though it was perhaps not expensive as The Grills, it was still a ticket for an experience on an "elegant and luxurious" vessel, as Cunard's marketing team has so eloquently put it. The whole experience for us was restrictive. It felt as if we were steered into a direction in which we would have to conform to and if we didn't, we'd feel excluded. And we did.

Forget about the English theme for a minute. We have no issue with that. We are English ourselves and immensely proud of our heritage. It was the lack of choice which disturbed. The lack of choice in so many aspects during this cruise, but especially in terms of dining, entertainment and technology. Apart from the lack in choices and poor service almost throughout, we had found the overall ambiance of Queen Victoria to be melancholic and full of pretence. It certainly not the Englishness which I know and love. What sort of message does this send to the rest of the world. Stiff upper lip whilst being ripped off?!

In addition, there were various tangible issues which had also negatively affected our overall experience. Small things such as damaged old shower curtains, clothes hangers which did not clip, an array of onboard technical equipment not functioning to need, equipment which did not function at all, certain areas on the ship which are in desperate need of refurbishment, the lack of thought which went into the design for some of the cabins - the list goes on. As David Dingle and his marketing marketing team again pledges; "luxury down to the smallest detail". I have to say that I have found this to be a misleading promise. It is after all the small details which had prompted me to write this review.

Entertainment onboard was repetitive. It was much of the same thing during different times of the day, in different areas. Repetitive and restrictive. Cunard only caters for a certain type, and that is evident. Other liners have an array of entertainment services which allows them to cater for a vast demographic. On Cunard it is fit in or, 'go away' - I'm sure you get the idea. That is at least how we felt.

I'm not asking for wave riders or climbing walls. That would defer from the whole point of being Cunard. What I had expected from the journey was to (a) feel comfortable in my surroundings yet (b) entertained with relevant activities whilst © feeling that I was looked after and (d) appreciated as a customer - It was quite the opposite.

The fact that I should now feel discouraged by having booked with Cunard in the first place, would be my main gripe with the organisation. Cunard is not a secret society where members can join only by special invite - as much as some who sail on her would like that to be true. No, what you have is a product which is marketed and available for any consumer to utilise if they choose to do so, a product which does not deliver her promise in my opinion - a product which rests on previous laurels and tries to be something it's not.

It is however our choice to sail with Cunard. Our money, our experience and our dedication to the brand. You might enjoy the creature comforts they offer, nothing wrong with it. It doesn't make you better than me, or, vice versa. Dedication to a brand is what keeps it alive. What Cunard perhaps haven't realised is that there are various new generations of cruisers - we shall one day decide which brand we are dedicated too.

If you alienate us, it won't be you. It won't be Cunard. It won't be the Queen Victoria. It won't be the Golden Dragon Pub. It won't be authentic fish and chips.

Thank you for reading.

Till next time.

FIN.

Edited by SonofTertius

Less humour there SoT.

I pretty much agree with all of it, but not all. Service for myself has always been excellent and I've never had even so much as a raised eyebrow when not adding anything additional to the bill/check (and I've never once done this). But that's your view/perception.

Cunard do market themselves as a luxury brand - a cut above if you will. And you are right, they are not. Whilst it's not Mrs Miggins B&B, it's not The Dorchester. It's not the Holiday Inn Express, it's the Holiday Inn.

SonofTertius

Thanks for posting 6 of 6 and not letting some Cunarders from putting you off, by asking for your posts to be closed.

Very amusing and interesting report into how you viewed your cruise with Cunard and Queen Victoria. Brings some amusement into a Cunard Thread.

Look forward to reading your next adventure with a cruise line.

You will have to post here a link on the Cunard forum for us to find it though.;)

Perhaps one day you may give Cunard another try on QM2 the only Ocean going Liner . Quite different from the Vista-Class ships.

Edited by Pennbank

Part 6 of 6

Conclusion

Like most people in the world, I am a consumer of goods and services; items and experiences which are made available to us by organisations much like Cunard, at a price, and as per demand (direct or indirect) from the consumer. If consumers are willing to pay the price and the product lives up to expectation, the consumer would generally purchase said product again. When a consumer acquires a product for the first time and the product does not live up to expectations, the consumer will move on to the next product, a 'better', 'more innovative' product - it's all a bit subjective.

The organisation would perhaps keep selling the 'failed' (again, subjective) product and might not initially realise that their products are resisting to attract/retain potential repeat customers nevertheless, when a product/service is blatantly 'defective' in terms of the exaggerated promises it makes, it is perhaps time for someone to speak-up, challenge it's continual existence, and question the organisation's values regarding sustainable business ethics and customer satisfaction.

During our 7 day cruise on the Queen Victoria there were only two members of the crew which we were impressed by. I'll let you do the math. There is a definitive 'tell' or 'show' throughout the ship which indicates a lack of training and/or poor attitude from a large number of the employees. This was especially prominent when signing bills or 'checks', even more so if I didn't add an additional percentage onto your automatic 15% 'service charge'. Passengers would perhaps be less suspicious of it if they had called it something else. Let's say for arguments sake; tourism tax. The fact is, we do not like paying for things we do not receive - polished service on Queen Victoria would be one of those things.

We were last minute bookers. Maybe this was our downfall - our own fault. It shouldn't be though. We had still paid for our passage and even though it was perhaps not expensive as The Grills, it was still a ticket for an experience on an "elegant and luxurious" vessel, as Cunard's marketing team has so eloquently put it. The whole experience for us was restrictive. It felt as if we were steered into a direction in which we would have to conform to and if we didn't, we'd feel excluded. And we did.

Forget about the English theme for a minute. We have no issue with that. We are English ourselves and immensely proud of our heritage. It was the lack of choice which disturbed. The lack of choice in so many aspects during this cruise, but especially in terms of dining, entertainment and technology. Apart from the lack in choices and poor service almost throughout, we had found the overall ambiance of Queen Victoria to be melancholic and full of pretence. It certainly not the Englishness which I know and love. What sort of message does this send to the rest of the world. Stiff upper lip whilst being ripped off?!

In addition, there were various tangible issues which had also negatively affected our overall experience. Small things such as damaged old shower curtains, clothes hangers which did not clip, an array of onboard technical equipment not functioning to need, equipment which did not function at all, certain areas on the ship which are in desperate need of refurbishment, the lack of thought which went into the design for some of the cabins - the list goes on. As David Dingle and his marketing marketing team again pledges; "luxury down to the smallest detail". I have to say that I have found this to be a misleading promise. It is after all the small details which had prompted me to write this review.

Entertainment onboard was repetitive. It was much of the same thing during different times of the day, in different areas. Repetitive and restrictive. Cunard only caters for a certain type, and that is evident. Other liners have an array of entertainment services which allows them to cater for a vast demographic. On Cunard it is fit in or, 'go away' - I'm sure you get the idea. That is at least how we felt.

I'm not asking for wave riders or climbing walls. That would defer from the whole point of being Cunard. What I had expected from the journey was to (a) feel comfortable in my surroundings yet (b) entertained with relevant activities whilst © feeling that I was looked after and (d) appreciated as a customer - It was quite the opposite.

The fact that I should now feel discouraged by having booked with Cunard in the first place, would be my main gripe with the organisation. Cunard is not a secret society where members can join only by special invite - as much as some who sail on her would like that to be true. No, what you have is a product which is marketed and available for any consumer to utilise if they choose to do so, a product which does not deliver her promise in my opinion - a product which rests on previous laurels and tries to be something it's not.

It is however our choice to sail with Cunard. Our money, our experience and our dedication to the brand. You might enjoy the creature comforts they offer, nothing wrong with it. It doesn't make you better than me, or, vice versa. Dedication to a brand is what keeps it alive. What Cunard perhaps haven't realised is that there are various new generations of cruisers - we shall one day decide which brand we are dedicated too.

If you alienate us, it won't be you. It won't be Cunard. It won't be the Queen Victoria. It won't be the Golden Dragon Pub. It won't be authentic fish and chips.

Thank you for reading.

Till next time.

FIN.

I am glad this saga appears to be ending, SoT states only two staff worth tipping, well my wife and I have travelled with Cunard on 50 cruises and we have had two poor members of staff in that period, both British females in he dining room one on the QE2 and the other on the maiden voyage on the QM2. We have always found the crew are the main stay of the Cunard service. We think SoT was trying to wind cunarders up, it appears he was successful. But I must admit on our last QV cruise in June we did find the drinks are now stupid prices possible selling less, but still getting the same cash in, and the food i n the main D/R poor and down in size, and I did e-mail Mr Palethorpe with our views.;p

We think SoT was trying to wind cunarders up

I disagree; I consider they were just telling it as they found it rather than looking at things through the rose tinted glasses some people here wear.

A lot of the comments resonated with me from my recent experience on QE.

I have never seen more miserable people as the drinks waiters. The drinks service was simply shocking. People were waiting 20 minutes for simple orders. I don't mind paying $25 prices for a couple of drinks, but I expect to get $25 service.

Less humour there SoT.

I pretty much agree with all of it, but not all. Service for myself has always been excellent and I've never had even so much as a raised eyebrow when not adding anything additional to the bill/check (and I've never once done this). But that's your view/perception.

Cunard do market themselves as a luxury brand - a cut above if you will. And you are right, they are not. Whilst it's not Mrs Miggins B&B, it's not The Dorchester. It's not the Holiday Inn Express, it's the Holiday Inn.

I agree with everything you say. I wouldn't ever dream of adding an extra on top of the 15% and I've never felt the need to do it. I've also never found the service to be a particular issue. Not stellar, but as you say, holiday inn; middle of the road.

If something was a bit lacking we always joked between us "that's white star service, that is!"

One thing to the OP my first cruise on queen Victoria I regarded as "meh". However we took it again and I really quite enjoyed it (wasn't my choice). I guess because I had no expectations of the wonderful cut above the rest they try and paint themselves as. I knew the shops would be overpriced, the decor reminiscent of a day gone by that never existed. But I also knew they'd be decent food, good passenger to space to crew ratio and fellow passengers which were pretty down to earth people.

While I respect entirely what the OP says, if you don't go high expectations, you'll get a decent ship at a decent price and the enjoyment that isn't coloured by disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing to the OP my first cruise on queen Victoria I regarded as "meh". However we took it again and I really quite enjoyed it (wasn't my choice).

We we exactly the same. First time I was not at all happy (and first cruise as well). We left it 2 or 3 years and tried again (QM2 that time) and decided it was alright. Then we had 2 very good cruises on the QV and then our last one on the QV only about 4 weeks ago.

So maybe SoT should leave it a couple or three years and give it another go ?

Part 6 of 6

Conclusion

Thank you for reading.

Till next time.

FIN.

Great retreat and outflanking manouvre,should go down in cc history,lol.

SoT, I hope you find a cruise line that's a good fit for you. Clearly, Cunard is not. Next time, don't blindly grab a last-minute fare. Now that you know about cruise critic, do some research, ask some questions, think about what you want in a cruise, and perhaps you will feel more comfortable and less restricted on your next cruise. To paraphrase GB Shaw, if you don't appreciate what you've got, try to get what you can appreciate.

Thank you S o T for a most interesting and enlightening account of your cruise, it has kept us entertained for the last week or so.

We haven't cruised with Cunard since 2014 and we have only cruised on QM2.

A question has occurred, can you remove the 15% service charge ( if the drinks service so poor) separately from the daily service charge?