Yesterday's Journey Home...

rt86

The OP previously posted that he was going to be on a QV fly-cruise cruise in August and also posted a question about Titan Air. My guess from the title of this thread is that the return flight home from his QV cruise did not go particularly smoothly. Perhaps he will be back to fill us all in on the details.

The OP previously posted that he was going to be on a QV fly-cruise cruise in August and also posted a question about Titan Air. My guess from the title of this thread is that the return flight home from his QV cruise did not go particularly smoothly. Perhaps he will be back to fill us all in on the details.

I hope so ....

The flight out to collect us was delayed, Cunard were aware of this before desembarking us, however still chose to send us to the airport. Upon arriving at the airport, we were offloaded from the coach and left on our own - from flying P&O previously, I would have expected staff at the airport to ensure check-in ran smoothly.

We (around 300 passengers) spent 2 hours stood at the doors inside the departure area at the check-in desks.

After checking in we were advised of a 1 hour delay.. approximately 2 hours after our original departure time, we were called to the gate. Queues formed and then spent around 30 minutes stood at the gate..finally the first bus was loaded...and then remained parked for 10 minutes! 20 minutes later the next batch were placed onto a bus..again for 10 minutes in 30+ degree heat.

We set off relatively quickly after that to be advised there was no food left for the flight...4 hour flight with a 2.5-3 hour delay.

Upon arrival at Manchester we remained on the plane for 20 or so minutes as the staff couldn't a 'chuck/chock' for the wheels!

After a 30 minute wait in passport control, we then had a further 45 minute wait for the baggage to start coming through!

I THINK I have covered everything... first time with Cunard, however this would be enough to put me off travelling with them again. Being kicked out of the stateroom at 8am and not returning home until 10pm isn't the kind of service I would expect from the Cunard brand..for a med cruise. The initial delay wasn't necessarily their fault, however actions could have been taken to ensure it didn't affect the passengers.

Sorry to hear that the flight issues were such a problem.

Perhaps it helps to explain why Cunard seem to have dropped the Med fly cruises for 2019. What time did you leave the ship ? (It's a question that's asked quite frequently)

The flight out to collect us was delayed, Cunard were aware of this before desembarking us, however still chose to send us to the airport. Upon arriving at the airport, we were offloaded from the coach and left on our own - from flying P&O previously, I would have expected staff at the airport to ensure check-in ran smoothly.

We (around 300 passengers) spent 2 hours stood at the doors inside the departure area at the check-in desks.

After checking in we were advised of a 1 hour delay.. approximately 2 hours after our original departure time, we were called to the gate. Queues formed and then spent around 30 minutes stood at the gate..finally the first bus was loaded...and then remained parked for 10 minutes! 20 minutes later the next batch were placed onto a bus..again for 10 minutes in 30+ degree heat.

We set off relatively quickly after that to be advised there was no food left for the flight...4 hour flight with a 2.5-3 hour delay.

Upon arrival at Manchester we remained on the plane for 20 or so minutes as the staff couldn't a 'chuck/chock' for the wheels!

After a 30 minute wait in passport control, we then had a further 45 minute wait for the baggage to start coming through!

I THINK I have covered everything... first time with Cunard, however this would be enough to put me off travelling with them again. Being kicked out of the stateroom at 8am and not returning home until 10pm isn't the kind of service I would expect from the Cunard brand..for a med cruise. The initial delay wasn't necessarily their fault, however actions could have been taken to ensure it didn't affect the passengers.

I don't think Cunard can be blamed for most of this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I don't think Cunard can be blamed for most of this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I see your point. I can't see how they can be blamed for disembarking passengers knowing there was a delay on the flight and nowhere to go at the airport. Likely not their fault they didn't provide staff to ensure everything was ok boarding their charter flight. I would also go as far as to say the lack of food/baggage issues on the return flight wasn't their fault as they didn't select a cheap charter company to increase profit margin.

Perhaps I just expected more from Cunard based on the reputation they are a 'step up' from other cruise lines.

Sorry to hear that the flight issues were such a problem.

Perhaps it helps to explain why Cunard seem to have dropped the Med fly cruises for 2019. What time did you leave the ship ? (It's a question that's asked quite frequently)

Around 12:30 I think..can't honestly remember after all the issues

I think I can claim a draw with our flight from Venice:

Disembarkation was supposed to be at 12:15. We finally left the ship at 12:45. We then got held at the ship's gang plank because someone in front of us had an outstanding account of a few dollars (that's what the lady said when we were queuing at Venice airport).

The coach parked a good 10 minute walk to the terminal, so a walk in the boiling heat. Then we had to fight our way through the crowds to collect our cases. Then join the back of the check in queue. The queue for our flight was massive and they only bothered to open 1 desk. After an hour they opened another one and things started to move. Then through security (the most efficent part) and into the departure area. There was then another queue to have your passports checked. There was no time to have anything to drink or eat because of the length of the queue. At the departure time got nearer (which was 14:50), they started pulling people out of the queue and putting us to the front of it.

Amazingly everyone was actually on the plane, with the doors closed at 14:50. So 2 hours from leaving the ship until being on the plane, the vast majority of which was stood in Venice airport in endless queues.

But then we sat in the plane and went nowhere for 1 hour. The captiain came on the thing and said he was less than happy at the organisation at the airport, as it seemed they could not manage to get the bags on in time.

We took off at around 15:50 (1 hour late).

We were on a BA charter on a plane that was out of the ark. One of the air stewards made a joke to a passenger that whilst the plane was not as old as he was, it was younger than his colleage !

And they charged for food. No matter we thought, we are starving since we had no time at all to eat at the airport. But by the time they got to us, there was nothing left; not even a manky sandwich. Of course, they take-off with only so much food based on what they expect to sell. But because of the massive delays and no time to eat, evenone wanted to eat; hence they ran out of food.

When we arrived at Heathrow, we had missed our landing slot and parking bay, so we had to park in another area. When we landed, we had to wait about 20 minutes because there was a vechile parked where the plane should be. Brilliant.

Then we had the utter shambles of arrives. Half the automated barrier passport things were not working. So it took over an hour just to get though those. And then wait for bags and finally I had to collect our car at the M&G parking.

We were supposed to land at 16:05. It was 19:00 by the time we left the airport - that's 3 hours later than the published landing time.

So 3 hours late, stood for most of the time and no food. Air travel is truely shambolic.

Sometimes we in the US look enviously at fly-cruise fares offered in the UK where flights are included in the fare. Surely things can go wrong with any flight and hopefully the stories shared on this thread are aberrations rather than typical. If they are not aberrations, perhaps we should count our blessings that we don't have Cunard-chartered flights included in our US cruise fares.

I'm so sorry to hear this. We were on the LHR flight (8pm) and saw the Manchester flight had been delayed.

We'd booked a day trip through another company for yesterday. I was pleased we did it (obviously not an option for MAN flight). I was annoyed though that Cunard didn't advertise their disembarkation day trips nor that our transfer would have been 4pm if we'd used it until we were onboard.

It's awful that there was no food for you plus all the delays. Although not Cunards 'fault' as such I think they should take responsibility for the charter that they organised for you. It does feel a lot like 'you're off the ship so not our problem'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the pool yesterday I heard a lady say that the flight from Manchester to Athens with titan had been delayed last Saturday as the crew were out of hours! She was also complaining that paninis ran out on flight before the stewardess had got to them and some other stuff. So no surprise that there wasn't food on the return flight. Although you would think they could restock at Athens.

I also think that some blame can be laid at Cunard's door as they arrange the charter flight so this should be quality assessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm getting somewhat confused with a number of conflicting stories - unless of course there were multiple groups leaving on different flight arrangements.

On Facebook a friend wrote...Yes... as we got off the announcement was made... those onboard are to convene at 6pm in the Queens room... due to a technical issue and flight crew over their working hours... ETA was flight circa 23:00... we've flown both Titan & Aegean via Manchester on a Cunard package before... We are on Lufthansa via Frankfurt this evening... enjoying the sun sitting outside at the airport now

There can't be many cruise lines where a stateroom vacation can be delayed or where transfer staff are in attendance at an airport to shepherd passengers through check-in.

Hapag-Lloyd and Viking spring to mind.

I think I can claim a draw with our flight from Venice:

Disembarkation was supposed to be at 12:15. We finally left the ship at 12:45. We then got held at the ship's gang plank because someone in front of us had an outstanding account of a few dollars (that's what the lady said when we were queuing at Venice airport).

The coach parked a good 10 minute walk to the terminal, so a walk in the boiling heat. Then we had to fight our way through the crowds to collect our cases. Then join the back of the check in queue. The queue for our flight was massive and they only bothered to open 1 desk. After an hour they opened another one and things started to move. Then through security (the most efficent part) and into the departure area. There was then another queue to have your passports checked. There was no time to have anything to drink or eat because of the length of the queue. At the departure time got nearer (which was 14:50), they started pulling people out of the queue and putting us to the front of it.

Amazingly everyone was actually on the plane, with the doors closed at 14:50. So 2 hours from leaving the ship until being on the plane, the vast majority of which was stood in Venice airport in endless queues.

But then we sat in the plane and went nowhere for 1 hour. The captiain came on the thing and said he was less than happy at the organisation at the airport, as it seemed they could not manage to get the bags on in time.

We took off at around 15:50 (1 hour late).

We were on a BA charter on a plane that was out of the ark. One of the air stewards made a joke to a passenger that whilst the plane was not as old as he was, it was younger than his colleage !

And they charged for food. No matter we thought, we are starving since we had no time at all to eat at the airport. But by the time they got to us, there was nothing left; not even a manky sandwich. Of course, they take-off with only so much food based on what they expect to sell. But because of the massive delays and no time to eat, evenone wanted to eat; hence they ran out of food.

When we arrived at Heathrow, we had missed our landing slot and parking bay, so we had to park in another area. When we landed, we had to wait about 20 minutes because there was a vechile parked where the plane should be. Brilliant.

Then we had the utter shambles of arrives. Half the automated barrier passport things were not working. So it took over an hour just to get though those. And then wait for bags and finally I had to collect our car at the M&G parking.

We were supposed to land at 16:05. It was 19:00 by the time we left the airport - that's 3 hours later than the published landing time.

So 3 hours late, stood for most of the time and no food. Air travel is truely shambolic.

Thanks for that Toad but nowhere can I see that Cunard could have had any blame laid at their doorstep.

Instead of totally blaming Cunard for delays with charter flights departing from Italy, why can't you look more closely at Italian airports being partly responsible, Venice and Rome are always dreadful whatever airline you are travelling on.

And it's well known since the start of this year that BA now charge for snacks on short haul flights.

Thanks for that Toad but nowhere can I see that Cunard could have had any blame laid at their doorstep.

I did say right at the end "Air travel is truely shambolic". i.e. it's the air travel side of things where it all falls down. We would not choose to fly to/from a cruise if we can avoid it as Southampton/Southampton is way better and you dont have to deal with airports.