Oversold and almost denied boarding?!

TrinaLC

Doesn’t sound like fraud to me. Sounds like a simple case of Carnival overbooking the sailing. Yes cruise lines overbook and this happens. When you book a cruise through a travel agent and pay by credit card, the payment is still processed by the cruise line. The charge will appear being directly by the cruise line and not the travel agent. If it shows the travel agent that should send up a red flag.

Doesn’t sound like fraud to me. Sounds like a simple case of Carnival overbooking the sailing. Yes cruise lines overbook and this happens. When you book a cruise through a travel agent and pay by credit card, the payment is still processed by the cruise line. The charge will appear being directly by the cruise line and not the travel agent. If it shows the travel agent that should send up a red flag.

Exactly. If payment is made the receipt would indicate the cruise line receiving payment as the TA only processes it. The concern would be only if this isn't the case. And since in the instance referred to the notification of the overbooking came from the cruise line, one would have to believe the payment was proper and no fraud occurred, which is why I challenged that comment from Jaco5NC.

And yes, as reported by several, over bookings can occur.

Yes if it was fraud Carnival would not have even a booking. The couple would be turned away as no reservation would be on record, and they would not have had access to any boarding pass to even enter the terminal. Clearly this couple did have a paid reservation but simply no cabin assigned and none available when then arrived at the terminal. No doubt there was a no show and they got a cabin, and hopefully it was in the category they booked. Otherwise they will be compensated any difference in cost, or upgrade at no cost if it were a higher grade.

In the case of a fraudulent TA, make sure your cruise payment is always to the cruise line, never to the travel agency. And check your credit card account regularly. I had an experience once where I had booked a cruise while onboard which qualified me for a reduced deposit. For some reason someone in Celebrity accounting thought my reduced deposit was just a courtesy hold or something and eventually refunded the deposit as it was deemed insufficient. Luckily I saw the credit and immediately called my travel agent and got my cabin back.

I don’t know what actually happened but it sounds like some sort of fraud or an oversight by a travel agent possibly? I hope they are currently on board and enjoying themselves at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

hey, dont go blaming the Travel Agent - most,if not all, cruise lines overbook - have been offered a few, "will u get off the cruise this week, and give u a full refund and another cruise" from Princess - they are known for this....easy to go blaming, but if passengers had a confirmation number and paid in full, then its the cruise line - have even done Holland America, agents advises, "you might not get the cabin number until u are at the pier" -

Just remember, it is not just cruise lines this happens with - it happens all the time with Flights and Hotels as well -

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340

Here is an article written by Cruise Critic themselves, all though rare:

The Ship Has Been Overbooked

Situation: It may be a little-known fact, but like airlines, cruise lines sometimes overbook their ships. Though rare in occurrence these days, cruise lines strive to sail full, but know some passengers will always cancel at the last minute. As a result, cruise lines sometimes overbook ships so that they can still sail full if people cancel late in the game. Those that employ the practice have developed sophisticated means of determining how many passengers are likely to cancel cruises -- so they have a very good idea of how much inventory they can oversell without making bumping a likelihood. Nonetheless, no system is foolproof, overbooking does occur and passengers do run the risk of getting bumped.

For instance, in a total nightmare scenario in February 2018, a Cruise Critic member was sitting at the airport waiting to board her flight to Sydney for a cruise on Azamara Journey when she received a call from the line that the ship was oversold and they didn't have room to accommodate her and her partner onboard. After much haggling, the couple were ultimately reinstated on the ship, which was sailing two days later, but not without a few new gray hairs to show for it.

Compensation for Being Bumped: If a line finds that it has too many bookings, it'll begin offering incentives for passengers to willingly rebook (or "move over") on another cruise or in another cabin category -- usually in the form of a discounted fare, free upgrade, onboard credit and/or money toward a future cruise. If your schedule is flexible, being voluntarily bumped can often be a good deal.

One Cruise Critic reader was contacted by Princess Cruises, which had overbooked a five-day Pacific Coast itinerary. They ended up on a seven-day Alaskan itinerary -- at no extra cost. Plus, they were additionally offered all of their initial cruise fare as onboard credit to really sweeten the pot. In another case, Oceania Cruises -- known for offering travelers tempting "move over" deals -- offered a Cruise Critic member an upgrade from a veranda cabin on Riviera to a penthouse suite on Marina, for the same price and with the same perks as their original sailing. They took the offer.

In the case of the above-mentioned Azamara Journey sailing, the affected couple were ultimately offered the cruise on a complimentary basis, along with a $250 onboard credit.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340

Here is an article written by Cruise Critic themselves, all though rare:

The Ship Has Been Overbooked

Best post of the thread - thank you!

Now if only those early respondents who were certain that this could not possibly happen and that the individual who was reporting it happening to them had to be making it up would drop by to read this!

Where are you guys now?? Sorry if the facts get in the way of your opinion!

Too bad this likely won't find its way to the original Facebook page where it was first reported........that individual could use some vindication.

But how is possible? GTY cabins?

How it's possible is in the same manner of overbooked airlines and hotels - there is an expectation of some last minute cancellations allowing for additional bookings to replace them to fill available spaces. The CC article discusses that and - agree with it or not - it is a standard business practice. In particular with the airlines.

The instance referenced that started this thread (and the Facebook discussion) was a GTY stateroom. But I don't know that it would be limited to that.

Best post of the thread - thank you!

Now if only those early respondents who were certain that this could not possibly happen and that the individual who was reporting it happening to them had to be making it up would drop by to read this!

Where are you guys now?? Sorry if the facts get in the way of your opinion!

Sure it can happen, but the possibility is close to zero for "normal" pax. In case of MSC they first kick out all the travel agents and MSC staff that booked the staff rate (in case of MSC these are very, very much people from all their container business around the world).

Sure it can happen, but the possibility is close to zero for "normal" pax. In case of MSC they first kick out all the travel agents and MSC staff that booked the staff rate (in case of MSC these are very, very much people from all their container business around the world).

You are not one of the early posters on this thread who basically claimed that overbooking was an impossiblity and were basically calling the individual who claimed it happened to them a liar.

"Sure it can happen" (along, I guess, with a "gee I was wrong") is really all I would like them to admit as they were very unfair and brutal to the person who claimed to have almost been denied a room as a result.

Of course the odds are very low for it to happen and I'm sure all cruise lines would have a similar method of dealing with it when it does. But as you say, it can happen - contrary to those who just choose not to accept the facts.

The part that seemed far fetched is that ahe said there were 6 other couples and they had to " bunk" with family and friends already on board. How does THAT happen when they can only put so many to each room due to life boat occupancy. In an emergency would these extra " bunkies" hold onto the side of the life boat?!?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

You are not one of the early posters on this thread who basically claimed that overbooking was an impossiblity and were basically calling the individual who claimed it happened to them a liar.

"Sure it can happen" (along, I guess, with a "gee I was wrong") is really all I would like them to admit as they were very unfair and brutal to the person who claimed to have almost been denied a room as a result.

Of course the odds are very low for it to happen and I'm sure all cruise lines would have a similar method of dealing with it when it does. But as you say, it can happen - contrary to those who just choose not to accept the facts.

Are you possibly thinking of a different thread?

Nobody on this thread (early on) claimed this happened to them.

Nobody on this thread claimed that they were almost denied a room.

The OP simply reported that they read a post on FB from someone else who had made these claims. The person this supposedly happened to never posted in this thread. Go back and read post #1.

You can post your "gee, I was wrong about that" whenever you are ready. ;p

Perhaps there are more than one similar FB thread about this, but the one I'm familiar with is very similar with one big exception - they said it WAS a GTY and that after several weeks of no response after final payment from MSC regarding a room assignment, they showed up to board and were told that due to an overbooking situation they did not have a room. They apparently were gathered with 6 other couples in the same situation, with the rest of your comment about the resolution being accurate.

My question to the other posters on this thread who challenge this is just because you are not aware of a situation like this occurring, why do you not believe it COULD happen and that the poster is fabricating it? They have apparently remained on the FB thread to address questions and challenges by others and not "posted and run". The issue they seem to be making is about this resulting from weeks of no response and a dissatisfaction with the level of MSC customer service.

They seem very specific in their information - I guess I would just tend to give them the benefit of doubt in believing that this in fact could have happened to them........

Are you possibly thinking of a different thread?

No - and my first response made that clear. Post #16.

Nobody on this thread (early on) claimed this happened to them.

I never said anyone did.

Nobody on this thread claimed that they were almost denied a room.

I never said anyone did.

The OP simply reported that they read a post on FB from someone else who had made these claims. The person this supposedly happened to never posted in this thread. Go back and read post #1.

Agree - and I did read #1. Now read my first post - quoted first on this response. Never said they were on this thread - indicated it was a Facebook post.

You can post your "gee, I was wrong about that" whenever you are ready. ;p

See my replies in red.

If you read my first post on this thread (above) you will see that I knew exactly which situation was being mentioned on this thread, which was first mentioned - as I indicated - on Facebook, not on this thread.

I never said anyone on this thread was denied a stateroom - with my first or any other post. The OP on this thread made reference to the other people involved as stated on Facebook ,which I only confirmed by indicating the balance of the OP's comments regarding that were accurate.

What I was concerned about was that many responses were challenging this and basically calling the person who had indicated this issue a liar. Specifically posts 2, 3, 6, & 10. Others also raised questions about the validity of the claim. I simply asked why they didn't believe that it could happen. More importantly I indicated that the biggest issue raised by the Facebook post seemed to be about the lack of customer service in addressing their booking questions.

The rest of my replies on this thread were regarding other information that was posted by others that confirmed that over bookings can happen. It was to that that I challenged the earlier posters to acknowledge their error. A bit snarky? Perhaps, and for that I apologize. But no less snarky IMO then their responses regarding the individual and their post on Facebook.

So to your last comment, gee I don't think I was the one in error here - how about you maybe???

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The part that seemed far fetched is that ahe said there were 6 other couples and they had to " bunk" with family and friends already on board. How does THAT happen when they can only put so many to each room due to life boat occupancy. In an emergency would these extra " bunkies" hold onto the side of the life boat?!?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

Not a challenge - just a question. Did the FB post say that they were bunked together? I don't recall that. I thought there were just 6 others with a similar situation that were brought together in a room at the pier where the issue was resolved. And the OP on this thread simply said "6 other groups" - not sure what that means.

I agree that it would be far fetched to have them bunk together - in fact it would not be possible. I think facts just need to be straight with this to be accurate. ;)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

How it's possible is in the same manner of overbooked airlines and hotels - there is an expectation of some last minute cancellations allowing for additional bookings to replace them to fill available spaces. The CC article discusses that and - agree with it or not - it is a standard business practice. In particular with the airlines.

The instance referenced that started this thread (and the Facebook discussion) was a GTY stateroom. But I don't know that it would be limited to that.

Airlines and hotels you don't choose your cabin or seat # right away, but on cruise after you book your cabin # its unavailable for other booking. So probably only GTY cabins can be oversold. I have problem to believe that cruise line did not contact them before cruise.

Airlines and hotels you don't choose your cabin or seat # right away, but on cruise after you book your cabin # its unavailable for other booking. So probably only GTY cabins can be oversold. I have problem to believe that cruise line did not contact them before cruise.

According to what was said on the Facebook thread by the individual involved, they had tried for several weeks to find out what their GTY stateroom assignment was with no response. Their concern was they only were only told of the overbooked situation after arriving at the pier.

Their reported issue - as the problem eventually was resolved and they got a stateroom - was with the lack of customer service/response from the cruise line.

My own take on the lack of response from the cruise line is that most GTY's that I am aware of indicate that the stateroom assignment can take place at check in. So maybe that was the reason for not getting a response from the cruise line prior to arrival.

Who knows.....

Yeah, never been once reported on CC all these years until now. So must be credible and true.

I think this has been debunked by a previous post.

Of course airlines let one book a particular seat and still overbook. Hotels too, allow one to book a particular room and still overbook.

Sadly cruise lines do not appear to be any different. Doesn't matter if one has paid in full for a particular cabin. Read the terms & conditions, cruise lines can do anything they want.

Just one more reason I would NEVER EVER BOOK A GTY.

And once I choose my cabin I print a screenshot AND continue to check it several times up to cruise time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While it appears that it can happen, I think the instances of overbooking must be pretty rare or you would hear more about it - in particular on CC!

We typically don't do GTY's, but that being said we've done GTY's a number of times and never had an issue. Have been notified of the location usually 2-3 weeks before sailing, always have been able to move the stateroom to a same category stateroom in a different location if we did't like the assigned location, and on a couple of occasions have been assigned to an upgraded category from that of the original GTY.

I'm not challenging your position on this as it is a personal choice. Just discussing our experiences. But we also book through a TA with whom we have years of experience and confidence in her support with our booking should there ever be an issue with any booking we make.

While it appears that it can happen, I think the instances of overbooking must be pretty rare or you would hear more about it - in particular on CC!

We typically don't do GTY's, but that being said we've done GTY's a number of times and never had an issue. Have been notified of the location usually 2-3 weeks before sailing, always have been able to move the stateroom to a same category stateroom in a different location if we did't like the assigned location, and on a couple of occasions have been assigned to an upgraded category from that of the original GTY.

I'm not challenging your position on this as it is a personal choice. Just discussing our experiences. But we also book through a TA with whom we have years of experience and confidence in her support with our booking should there ever be an issue with any booking we make.

What if I come clean and tell you my sister calls me a "worry wart"??? I think I would stress myself out.

1. Cruise lines do overbook as well as airlines.

2. It has nothing to do with GTY cabins. Can happen as well with "fixed" cabin numbers.

3. MSC does never guarantee a certain cabin but tells you clearly that it´s their right to change cabins whenever they want to.

steamboats

What if I come clean and tell you my sister calls me a "worry wart"??? I think I would stress myself out.

Again, how and when you book a cruise is a personal choice, and no one can criticize your decision. But there really is nothing to be stressed about with a GTY. The only difference between that and a regular booking is typically a lower stateroom rate in exchange for the cruise line selecting your stateroom. And as I said, most cruise lines allow you to change a location if you want to another available location in the same category, so even that "risk" can be reduced.

But what ever is your preference is what works for you! Enjoy your cruising.