Lots of Questions

*Blonde*

Hi everyone,

Well our cruise on the Pacific Star is getting closer and closer! I can't wait!

I just have a few questions. I know most have been asked before but there are so many to go through so just thought I would ask:

1) Is it worth buying snorkels and taking them, or just hiring them on the ship? How much is hireage?

2) What would you recommend doing/seeing in Lifou?

3) What would you recommend doing/seeing in Mystery Island?

4) What would you recommend doing/seeing in Vila?

5) When in Vila, did you go to Iririki Island, and if so what did you do? What restaurant did you eat at?

6) What did you find to be the best duty free shop in Vila?

Thank you! I think that is all for now! :D

Hi there, we went to Lifou and did the Cliffs of Jokin and vanilla plantation tour, the views were great, pretty beach etc, was enjoyable the tours but definately wouldn't do it twice. Not alot to pick from tour wise at Lifou so I would say enjoy the beach, as well as maybe go on the cliffs tour. :) In Villa I would reccommend the Eskup Village tour as quite an experience. We didn't worry about snorkelling there as Mystery Island was great for that, and apart from the market place at Mystery Island there was really nothing else to do there. Make sure in Vila you allow enough time to have a look through the main street. We found the duty free shop at the end of the main street (left hand side) really cheap for booze but also the one mid way on the opposite side had some great bargains!!! We ended up buying alcohol from both and when we got back to Auckland yeah.... it was all there!!! We found that the souveniers on Mystery Island to be cheaper than the market on the waterfront in Vila itself although just next to the ANZ? in Vila (left hand side of street) is a very cheap shop selling everything from boomerangs to T shirts:D Enjoy people are helpful and friendly in all of the places you are going to. Regarding snorkels , we took our own as we already had them - kids hated dragging them up on the last day for customs/maf to look at but hey you have to go up there anyway so I think if you own them, take them!!!

1) Is it worth buying snorkels and taking them, or just hiring them on the ship? How much is hireage?

In July it was $39.95 for adults and $29.95 for kids plus a $20 deposit. You get to keep the snorkel I think. I take a snorkel and mask, don't worry about flippers.

Definitely go over to Jinek Bay on the other side of the island. It is easy to find and plenty of people walking to it. Absolutely fantastic snorkeling. If you are feeling energetic walk up to the church on the point. Bit of a hike at the end.

It poured when I was there!

As lelley said, Ekasup cultural village is good (friend told me). Cascade waterfalls are supposed to be good too. I sitll haven't made it there.

5) When in Vila, did you go to Iririki Island, and if so what did you do? What restaurant did you eat at?

Nope! :)

Fung Kwei is at the end on the left. The other Duty Free shop that lelley mentioned is something like gourmet cave or bateau cave. Sometimes they are cheaper.

I think that shop is near the ANZ, but there are usually a lot of P&Oers wandering around it, maybe opposite the post office. There is a shop called Phoenix and that might be it or right near it.

In regards to the snorkelling gear, you can buy the set (mask & snorkel), from Big W or Kmart for around $20.00. You can also get a set with the flippers for an additional $10.00 or so.

If you don't want to get the flippers, I would recommend getting Reef Shoes. They too are very cheap, around $10.00 / $15.00 from Big W or Kmart.

In Vila, we have been to the Cascade Waterfalls which are really beautiful. You get to walk to a rainforest, until you reach the waterfalls, where you can actually swim under them and in the rock pools. P&O tour goes for around 2 hours I think, so plenty of time to do a second tour or Duty Free Shopping.

At Mystery Island, it is a fairly small island. There is a cute little market where you can buy heaps of souveneirs. Mystery Island is good for snorkelling, and you can also take a walk around the island.

I think you can also get your hair braided at Mystery Island.

Fung Kwei in Vila is great for Duty Free Shopping, as mentioned by AussieDisneyFan.

They have heaps of things, from alcohol to perfumes. I think the alcohol at Fung Kwei is cheaper than the Duty Free on the P&O Ship, but I think it depends on what you want to buy.

Happy Cruising!!

In regards to the snorkelling gear, you can buy the set (mask & snorkel), from Big W or Kmart for around $20.00. You can also get a set with the flippers for an additional $10.00 or so.

If you don't want to get the flippers, I would recommend getting Reef Shoes. They too are very cheap, around $10.00 / $15.00 from Big W or Kmart.

Here in New Zealand (where *Blonde* & I are from) we don’t have the Big W & Kmart here in NZ I don’t think sells snorkelling gear (I have never seen it in any of the stores, but I could be wrong thought) (*Blonde* you should be able to find the snorkelling gear & Reef Shoes in the “The Warehouse” or any sports shops.)

I would also recommend *Blonde* to get some Reef Shoes, as they will be useful walking over the rocks etc…

In July it was $39.95 for adults and $29.95 for kids plus a $20 deposit. You get to keep the snorkel I think. I take a snorkel and mask, don't worry about flippers.

I would take & use flippers, as it makes swimming a lot easer, & you don’t have to use so much energy swimming.

I believe hiring them is cheap enough but they also charge a deposit of about $50? I like to take my own so I know it's clean and germ free ;)

The snorkelling at Lifou is fantastic :D

There's not a whole lot to do at Mystery Island. Snorkelling & sunbaking is about it. They have markets. Some of the locals do little tours but I haven't been on any of them to say what's good.

The Mele Cascades are wonderful. Also the Jet Boat looks like a lot of fun. I'm doing that in Feb!

Iririki welcomes day trippers. When you get off the boat turn left at reception and after a few mins walk you'll come to the activities area. The restaurant there is called The Watermark and I highly recommend it!! Don't go to Micheners (to the right) unless you like paying an arm and a leg for a light meal ;) Further up the hill past the Watermark you'll find an amazing swimming pool that has 5 different sections all at different depths. There's even a bar in the top pool and a cafe area too. Pool towels should also be provided free.

Fung Kwei has the best booze prices. Shop around for prices on everything else as it varies greatly from shop to shop.

Have a great time :D

Hi everyone. DH and I did the jet boat ride in Feb. It was great. Might do again in Feb2009. Cascade waterfall sounds great. I am a slow walker and need to stop every so often. Would this tour be ok for me. I have also read that it is cheaper to do it on your own. Your replies would be great. Suexxx

Hi everyone. DH and I did the jet boat ride in Feb. It was great. Might do again in Feb2009. Cascade waterfall sounds great. I am a slow walker and need to stop every so often. Would this tour be ok for me. I have also read that it is cheaper to do it on your own. Your replies would be great. Suexxx

It's a fairly easy walk. If you need to rest they will wait for you. Your shoes WILL get wet and muddy though so don't take your brand new Nikes ;)

The current rate through P&O is $69 but when we were there in Oct last year it was $15 pp and you guide yourself. The pathway is very easy to follow and you don't need the guide. The only drama is getting there and back if you don't go with P&O. Getting there is easy enough from town, but there aren't many buses or taxis waiting there to take you back. If you're prepared to wait though you will get one sooner or later.

In Vila the best shop to go to that doesn't sell alcohol or perfume would be Port Vila Duty Free. It sell really cheap tshirts bags jewelry and stuff which is really good for souvenirs.Its cheaper than the ,markets and sells other stuff too. Its in the main street on the side of the water. Its got a red sign and is near the ANZ bank i think. Its always packed with ship people.

Hi Teegiee. Just looked at some of your photos from previous cruises. Didnt see any for your Pacific Sun cruise. Do you have any? Would love to see them if you have. Suexxx

sorry, my cruise list is really confusing. Havent actually been on the Sun yet- 7 days. I expect to upload my pictures the day that i come back. Also am going to make them into a photobook. Will cost more than $200 but will be worth it.

Teegiee

• 3 weeks later...

Archived