Hurricane Lane

bussub

My friends who are currently on the ship texted last night that all further ports have been scrapped and they don't know about Saturday yet...That was about 10 hours ago - things may have changed by now.

As Hurricane Lane approaches the Hawaiian islands, we're reminded of H. Iniki, which greatly impacted Kauai in 1992. We first visited Kauai about 18 months later on a cruise and the damage was still very evident as rebuilding was slow. One of the lasting results of Iniki was a "wild" chicken surge; i.e. chickens got loose, and reproduced as chickens do. We've done several land visits to Kauai since and the last time, a few years ago, we rented a house "out in the country" and were awakened every morning by wild roosters doing their thing in our back yard. The chickens were also a hazard wandering around on even the highways. At least they hadn't migrated down to the beaches as of a few years ago.

On a serious note, our thoughts and prayers are with all those in the path of this current hurricane.

As Hurricane Lane approaches the Hawaiian islands, we're reminded of H. Iniki, which greatly impacted Kauai in 1992. We first visited Kauai about 18 months later on a cruise and the damage was still very evident as rebuilding was slow. One of the lasting results of Iniki was a "wild" chicken surge; i.e. chickens got loose, and reproduced as chickens do. We've done several land visits to Kauai since and the last time, a few years ago, we rented a house "out in the country" and were awakened every morning by wild roosters doing their thing in our back yard. The chickens were also a hazard wandering around on even the highways. At least they hadn't migrated down to the beaches as of a few years ago.

On a serious note, our thoughts and prayers are with all those in the path of this current hurricane.

Iniki went directly over Kauai, as a Cat 2 or 3 hurricane, as I recall. Lane is predicted to strike a glancing blow, as maybe a Cat 1. Still a problem, though .

The chickens have definitely reached the beach areas, at least immediately north of Lihue, at the Hilton Garden Inn, as of 3 years ago.

Checking the POA’s itinerary it’s understandable why they would remain at sea.

Since last night the cone for the forecasted track of the Lane has moved slightly west which could result in the storm staying further offshore.

I continue to watch coverage on the Weather Channel & on the Hawaii stations for the latest updates. My go to website for Hawaii weather is Hawaii Weather Today if anyone wants to monitor Lane’s progress.

https://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/glenns-daily-weather-narrative/

Statewide they’re advising everyone who is not in a flood zone to shelter in place because there are not sufficient emergency centers to shelter everyone.

I have not seen anything posted as of yet on NCL's website as to your cruise. Good luck with NCL's transparency. I did see a piece in today's Honolulu Star (which has taken down its paywall during hurricane Lane) That it has cancelled stops on the Big Island ports of Kona & Hilo. NCL is still using the same press release it has for years with not much more info than that. Hope it all works out well. We are on the same cruise in October.

A few years ago we were scheduled on the NCL Dawn to Bermuda. At the time there was a hurricane in the in the Atlantic headed for the Island. We, (along with many others we later found out) kept calling NCL because the cruise line went into radio silence mode. The agents would just follow the company line. We knew from prior cruise's that on the Bermuda run if we were diverted, one of two choices were to either divert to the Bahamas or Halifax NS Canada. In any case we wanted to know so we had the right stuff to pack you don't want shorts in Halifax in late October. We only found out when we got to the pier that we were being diverted, (and lucky it as the Bahamas).

I misspoke earlier as I just got some more texts from my friend who is onboard the ship - they are currently in Kauai for a short day (were supposed to remain overnight) then head out to sea - still planning to return to Honolulu on Saturday...

I misspoke earlier as I just got some more texts from my friend who is onboard the ship - they are currently in Kauai for a short day (were supposed to remain overnight) then head out to sea - still planning to return to Honolulu on Saturday...

Thanks for the updates on this evolving situation.

Cargo container ships have been loaded with essential supplies & are carrying offloading equipment to be able to deliver supplies to any port. They’re going out to sea to be ready to respond as quickly as possible.

Hopefully Lane doesn’t repeat Iniki’s path in 1992 when it changed from west to north to make a direct hit on Kaua’i. :(

Yes, Hawaii hoping for the best but planning for the worst. Cargo ships are going out to sea as being in port under high winds can cause damage to them. Many shelves in stores are getting rather bare now. Many attractions including Pearl Harbor are closed. I imagine cruise ships will stay out to sea and not dock anywhere. Waikiki tourist associations are helping tourists. Many plane schedules in doubt. Just hang in there and see what happens.

All the U.S.Navy ships and subs have left Pearl Harbor and gone to sea. For safety.

Also read the USAF have moved their aircraft to undisclosed locations but USN aircraft are being hangared or repositioned.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/08/22/breaking-news/pearl-harbor-ships-and-subs-head-to-sea-ahead-of-lane/

For passengers embarking this Saturday August 25th, will NCL provide hotel rooms if the sailing is delayed?

They won't 'provide' them (where would they find a block of vacant rooms at this late date?) but may reimburse people who do find one. After Iniki, our daughter spent 2 nights in the Honolulu airport - couldn't get a room anywhere. Today it may be a little easier to locate any available rooms via the internet, but availability will be hit or miss. Many people whose flights have been cancelled, or cruises delayed, will be looking for rooms, while other rooms that are reserved and pre-paid may stay empty.

We were on a Princess cruise that was delayed a full day getting back to LA. Passengers due to board were on their own to find a place to stay that night - almost 3000 people (less locals who could stay at home) looking for a last minute hotel room in the San Pedro area. They were eventually reimbursed for their expenses by Princess.

For passengers embarking this Saturday August 25th, will NCL provide hotel rooms if the sailing is delayed?

Think about that for a second...POA holds something like 2200 people. So that would be 1100 rooms, generally...in what could be a disaster area, possibly.

As others have stated it’s highly unlikely.

Aussie friends had reservations to stay 4 days in Waikiki on their way home from Boston after their US cruises. They were able to change their flights to directly fly home to bypass Hawaii & canceled their hotel reservations. So even with a few hotel cancellations during this busy summer season most are booked...read it’s about 97% on Maui & is probably similar on Oahu.

Watching coverage there are people in hotels who need to extend their stays due to canceled flights & being unable to get an earlier flight. And residents whose homes are at risk may book hotel rooms because there are shelters for less than 20% of the population.

Even if NCL is seeking accommodations for passengers who have a delayed boarding there might not be sufficient accommodations for cruise ship passengers in this evolving situation.