Things cruise lines do better

janrey1234

I don't know if this has ever been discussed but what does a certain cruise line do better than any other line. I'll start

Royal Caribbean - no corkage fee on the 2 allowed bottles of wine

Carnival - appropriately priced water delivered to your room. $3.99 for a 6 pack is pretty reasonable.

Carnival - great fast check in for suite guests which was a pleasant surprise.

Royal Caribbean - My time dining that allows you to prebook time you want before the cruise. This worked out well as we didn't want first seating or late seating and every day varied because of excursions. We ended up having the same staff every night because of prebooking times.

Carnival - pagers for my time dining. I didn't see them being used on Royal but maybe that has changed.

Cabins were ready on Carnival when we boarded because they didn't allow you on the ship until 1:30 but yeah on Royal we had to wait a bit because we boarded before 1:00.

On HAL, the cabins will be ready at, or very close to the start of boarding, which is 11:30.

P&O- you're free to take any alcohol on board, within limits. Pub prices at the bar with no added tips.

Thomson- Pub prices, and no tipping anywhere.

NCL- Freedom dining for all, without any dress code (if that's what you like)

RCI- a vast amount of activities to occupy most teenagers.

Saga- For over 50s, including transport to the ship and insurance.

The "net daily rate" value of an Oceania cruise.

With included airfare/air credit, specialty dining, internet, beverages and a choice of alcohol, excursions or OBC, the true cost of "just the cabin" compares most favorably to cruise lines with far inferior things like food quality and service standards (e.g., Celebrity, HAL, Princess).

Of course, smaller ships with high crew ratios, no photogs/rip off art shows/et al nickel-diming adds even more value.

Do the math.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Royal Caribbean - The ships. Not like we have tons of experience (only RCI and NCL) but for what we have seen in the mass market lines we love the promenade layout and design of the Royal ships.

NCL - The price. We had 6 of us in the Haven for the same price as our previous RCI oceanview.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

Princess -- a minifridge in every cabin, no silly pool games (at least on the ships I've been on), not too many PA announcements (I really don't care if it's the final -- for the umpteenth time -- bingo game or art auction), they still offer traditional dining, many different itineraries, a low key interior decor, cabins ready when you board, muster drill indoors...

In addition to many great innovation all insides on newest ships of RCI have virtual balconies. They are great!

Pools are open almost 24/7 (at least one)

Dynamic themed dining.

Edited by Tatka

The "net daily rate" value of an Oceania cruise.

With included airfare/air credit, specialty dining, internet, beverages and a choice of alcohol, excursions or OBC, the true cost of "just the cabin" compares most favorably to cruise lines with far inferior things like food quality and service standards (e.g., Celebrity, HAL, Princess).

Of course, smaller ships with high crew ratios, no photogs/rip off art shows/et al nickel-diming adds even more value.

Do the math.

But it's not value for those who don't drink, use the internet etc.

Princess -- a minifridge in every cabin' date=' no silly pool games (at least on the ships I've been on), not too many PA announcements (I really don't care if it's the final -- for the umpteenth time -- bingo game or art auction), they still offer traditional dining, many different itineraries, a low key interior decor, cabins ready when you board, muster drill indoors...[/quote']

Except for the muster inside (only on HAL's newest ship), all of these true on Holland America.

But it's not value for those who don't drink, use the internet etc.

If one is not drinking/"interneting"/touring/flying/etc., you are correct that cheaper cabin costs on low end lines may translate to a lower "net daily rate".

But then, there really is the quality issue.

As aforementioned: no art shows, no photogs, no mediocre food (including food-safety-nightmare self-served buffets), no nickel/diming, etc. does add up to real "value" for many cruisers (regardless of the "net daily rate").

At the bottom line for folks who do fly, imbibe, tour, and enjoy a more cosmopolitan experience, premium lines including O and Azamara are quite the bargain.

If one is not drinking/"interneting"/touring/flying/etc., you are correct that cheaper cabin costs on low end lines may translate to a lower "net daily rate".

As aforementioned: no art shows, no photogs, no mediocre food (including food-safety-nightmare self-served buffets), no nickel/diming, etc. does add up to real "value" for many cruisers (regardless of the "net daily rate").

At the bottom line for folks who do fly, imbibe, tour, and enjoy a more cosmopolitan experience, premium lines including O and Azamara are quite the bargain.

I see merit in using them.:D

I have price checked O And Azamara a number of times and, while I certainly see the value in what DOES NOT HAPPEN as well as what does, I still see a significant premium in price above lines like Celebrity and HAL which offer many amenities I prefer; while on a value basis being price competitive with Princess, Royal Caribbean and , particularly, Carnival and NCL.

I have price checked O And Azamara a number of times and, while I certainly see the value in what DOES NOT HAPPEN as well as what does, I still see a significant premium in price above lines like Celebrity and HAL which offer many amenities I prefer; while on a value basis being price competitive with Princess, Royal Caribbean and , particularly, Carnival and NCL.

With the understanding that I respect the wisdom of so many of your posts: you may want to find a new TA.

For, at least, Oceania, the top sellers of their cruises (many are members of O's Connoisseurs' Club and advertise that fact), are paid higher commissions which can translate to unadvertised significant TA rebates/credits. The other key issue in comparing prices is the value of O's included airfare or air credit, which can easily exceed $1000-$1500/person for international destinations.The relatively recent addition of "O Life" (unlimited internet and choice of OBC or booze or excursions) is the financial clincher when comparing to the lines you mention.

And then there is the food, service et al.

I have yet to meet a Celebrity cruiser who didn't marvel at the better experience of their first O cruise.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

All these are good responses. I have only been on two lines RC and Carnival but wanted some ideas of what other lines are like. For me, if there is more than one day at sea then a bigger ship is important for something other than sit by the pool or drink to do and Royal Caribbean provided it on Allure and Navigator.

I am fascinated by the river cruise idea but they are very very expensive as we usually cruise with a friend and get one cabin which may also exclude some of the other cruise lines mentioned. I found RC and Carnival to be pretty good in pricing the 3rd person in a cabin. Celebrity I priced out and found the 3rd person was charged a much higher fee at least for the cruise I was looking at but it wasn't outrageous.

With the understanding that I respect the wisdom of so many of your posts: you may want to find a new TA.

For, at least, Oceania, the top sellers of their cruises (many are members of O's Connoisseurs' Club and advertise that fact), are paid higher commissions which can translate to unadvertised significant TA rebates/credits. The other key issue in comparing prices is the value of O's included airfare or air credit, which can easily exceed $1000-$1500/person for international destinations.The relatively recent addition of "O Life" (unlimited internet and choice of OBC or booze or excursions) is the financial clincher when comparing to the lines you mention.

And then there is the food, service et al.

I have yet to meet a Celebrity cruiser who didn't marvel at the better experience of their first O cruise.

They are certainly on my horizon, one day when the timing, itinerary and price all work.

I completely agree with you, and I've cruised O a few times and A twice. O and A are almost always more expensive - considerably more expensive - than the others.