Quick Trip Report - just got back Aug 31

michelle028

Bermuda:

Took the NCL Dawn from Boston, really enjoyed the cruise.

Bermuda was such a beautiful island but super expensive! People were friendly especially in the Dockyard and they will help you get where you need to be!

Sunday: We arrived at 1pm. First day we went to Horseshoe Bay – paid $7 each way through mini van taxis. They drop you right to the beach. I heard through another passenger they paid $48 through the cruiseline for the same thing! So don’t do it!

Monday: In the morning we woke up early and took the free NCL ferry to St. George. The first one was at 9am. Get there early – people started lining up for the ferry as early as 8:30am. When we arrived, we took a taxi it was $35 for 5 of us to Tobacco Bay. We really enjoyed the beach –the water was like a warm pool!

Note: The cruiseline will give you the schedule for the free ferry the night before. (TIP:The free ferry does not run on Sundays when you arrive – but I think you can take the public ferry.)

We left St Georges at noon and went back to the ship,changed, and then took a public ferry ($4.50pp each way) to Hamilton. We spent about 2 hours there and then took the ferry back to the ship. It was very hot. Note:In Hamilton, stores close between 5:00 -6:00pm on a weekday so if you want to shop go earlier.

Tuesday: We loved Horseshoe Bay so we went there again. Tip: If you want to save some money – we brought our own camping chairs (the fold up kind – we brought 2 of them) and a mini tent.Since we were driving we were able to pack them easily and take them on public transportation to the beach.

Side note: I know people were talking about this before on this board and there was some debate about bringing them or not but it worked out great for us.

You can also take #7 bus from the Dockyard to the beach as well and pay $4.50pp. But they don't drop you right beside the entry point for the beach. You have to walk down to the beach.

Also if you have little kids as you walk towards the beach, look to your right there is a very shallow bay area that is very calm and no waves. Perfect for little ones.

so thats it - enjoy your trip to Bermuda everyone!

(TIP:The free ferry does not run on Sundays when you arrive – but I think you can take the public ferry.)

Thank you for the trip report. A of note to your report. Like the NCL ferry the public ferry does not run to St. George’s on Saturday or Sunday. Only ferry service on the weekends is to Hamilton.

Thank you for the report, but I am having a problem with the taxi fare you paid ($35). The standard fare for a trip of less than a mile would about $10 plus tip for 5 to 7 paxs, Mon - Sat travel. Did you go elsewhere before Tobacco Bay?

SBtS

You are right about a metered taxi fare. Could be that that they took a minibus shuttle from the St. George’s ferry dock to Tobacco. A flat $7 times 5 =$35. Then the fare would make sense.

Edited by Charles4515

You are right about a metered taxi fare. Could be that that they took a minibus shuttle from the St. George’s ferry dock to Tobacco. A flat $7 times 5 =$35. Then the fare would make sense.

Hi!

He charged us $35 each way. I'm pretty sure it was a taxi he had a licence...blue licence on his dashboard. It said Bermuda taxi driver.

Hi!

He charged us $35 each way. I'm pretty sure it was a taxi he had a licence...blue licence on his dashboard. It said Bermuda taxi driver.

A Bermuda taxi is supposed to charge a metered rate for trips. So the charge for five in a taxi from the ferry dock in St. George’s to Tobacco Bay should come out to about $13.50 each way in a metered taxi. If taxi drivers are now taking advantage of tourists that would be disappointing news. I had not heard of that happening in Bermuda.

Hi everyone,

Before I left for the trip, I had emailed the Bermuda island Taxi to find out the cost and this is the email i got below - so when I got off the ferry when they quoted me $35 I thought... ok thats what was sent in the email (I didn't book ahead of time!)

Good Afternoon Ms. ,

Thank you for your email, from the St. George’s ferry terminal to Tobacco Bay or Fort St. Catherine’s beach, the cost is $35.00 each way.

Please advise if you would like for us to pre-arrange transportation from the ferry terminal to the beach and back from the beach to the ferry terminal.

If you would like for us to provide this service, we do require a credit card for advanced bookings. Have a wonderful day, we look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Mrs. Alesia Martin-Brangman – Admin Assistant

Bermuda Island Taxi Services

O. #441-295-4111 hours 10am-3pm Mon-Fri

Main.#441-295-4141 24/7

Hi everyone,

Before I left for the trip, I had emailed the Bermuda island Taxi to find out the cost and this is the email i got below - so when I got off the ferry when they quoted me $35 I thought... ok thats what was sent in the email (I didn't book ahead

Taxis fares are supposed to be metered at the set government rates except for sightseeing tours which have a set hourly rate. The fares are explained on the official government tourism website. Link below to the tourism website.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/getting-around-bermuda-taxi https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/getting-around-bermuda-taxi

When I have taken a taxi from Pennos Wharf to Tobacco Bay, and from Tobacco Bay back to Pennos Wharf I was charged at the metered rate. About $10. Plus tip. It is a mile. The distance is so short I usually would walk it but took a taxi a few times when traveling with friends who were not able to walk there.

Edited by Charles4515

Sunday: We arrived at 1pm. First day we went to Horseshoe Bay – paid $7 each way through mini van taxis. They drop you right to the beach. I heard through another passenger they paid $48 through the cruiseline for the same thing! So don’t do it!

Michelle, how do you find the minivan to Horseshoe Bay? Are there signs at the Dockyard? What do you look for?

• 4 weeks later...