Carnival magic

riviera

I am currently sailing. FYI to future cruisers: I purchased the wi-fi for the week but it was ridiculous slow so I “ upgraded” for $39 for the “ premium “ wi-fi. There is absolutely no difference. But I’m enjoying the cruise as usual. [emoji41][emoji485]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am currently sailing. FYI to future cruisers: I purchased the wi-fi for the week but it was ridiculous slow so I “ upgraded” for $39 for the “ premium “ wi-fi. There is absolutely no difference. But I’m enjoying the cruise as usual. [emoji41][emoji485]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Disconnect you are on vacation.

Are you on a Western or Eastern (or Southern) Caribbean itinerary? I think it makes a difference regarding satellite coverage.

I was on the Magic in July and the internet was horrible. I had the premium plan since I still had work I needed to complete for my Grad classes. They ended up refunding my credit card once I talked to guest services. They know the internet is terrible and they will refund your money and allow you to keep the service.

This isn't great news for me... I just purchased the premium wifi package for my upcoming Magic sailing in 9 days :( Are there any areas of the ship that it works better than other areas? Or is it just rubbish all over?

Sailed the Magic on 8/25 and it was horrible all over the ship.

I am currently sailing. FYI to future cruisers: I purchased the wi-fi for the week but it was ridiculous slow so I “ upgraded” for $39 for the “ premium “ wi-fi. There is absolutely no difference. But I’m enjoying the cruise as usual.

Disconnect you are on vacation.

The times when people don't understand how to do this. Without internet most people are lost.

If people are thinking the wifi is super fast like at home- this is where you are going to be in for a shock. Its a very slow connection- does not support face time or stuff along those lines. (you tube etc.

I am currently sailing. FYI to future cruisers: I purchased the wi-fi for the week but it was ridiculous slow so I “ upgraded” for $39 for the “ premium “ wi-fi. There is absolutely no difference. But I’m enjoying the cruise as usual.

The times when people don't understand how to do this. Without internet most people are lost.

We sail a few times a year. Since we still work and have school commitments, we dont have the luxury to totally disconnect from the world. Also we sometimes cruise without our teenaged child and would never disconnect from our child for any reason. We are still able to relax and enjoy but at the same time know things are in order at home, since we do have to go back to reality at some point. It doesn't matter to me if people do or dont disconnect, I do what is best for my family and lifestyle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

This isn't great news for me... I just purchased the premium wifi package for my upcoming Magic sailing in 9 days :( Are there any areas of the ship that it works better than other areas? Or is it just rubbish all over?
I was taking a class over the summer and was able to connect to post on message boards. Also I was able to read content and emails. Before leaving I downloaded everything to my kindle app so that I could access it offline. I knew internet was not the best so did not want to chance it.

I noticed a man and woman working on their computers for quite a while on the tables outside the Red Frog pub, right corner tables when facing the entrance.

We sail a few times a year. Since we still work and have school commitments, we dont have the luxury to totally disconnect from the world. Also we sometimes cruise without our teenaged child and would never disconnect from our child for any reason. We are still able to relax and enjoy but at the same time know things are in order at home, since we do have to go back to reality at some point. It doesn't matter to me if people do or dont disconnect, I do what is best for my family and lifestyle.

Now that's what I'm talking bout..... Do what is best for your family & lifestyle!!!

I disconnect and leave the DRAMA at home it will be there when I get back!!

To me it seemed slower than the old dial-up

Now that's what I'm talking bout..... Do what is best for your family & lifestyle!!!

So true that drama will be there. Fortunately for me, I avoid drama at home, we keep to ourselves, have a very small circle and try to live a peaceful, drama free life,,,and work towards wealth, so we can cruise and travel more. I do feel bad for people that cant escape drama though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So true that drama will be there. Fortunately for me, I avoid drama at home, we keep to ourselves, have a very small circle and try to live a peaceful, drama free life,,,and work towards wealth, so we can cruise and travel more. I do feel bad for people that cant escape drama though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some people just don't get it. I cruise more BECAUSE I am able to be connected. To those people who get their one little vacation a year, maybe they want to disconnect, but some of us travel a LOT and can only do so because we are connected.

Seems like I've had better Internet service on Eastern Caribbean sailings (say, on Conquest two years ago) than on Western itins (Vista last fall). On the Conquest we were easily able to keep in touch with each other and with friends ashore using FB Messenger and its voice-calling feature...but not the video calling, which was fine with us.

On the Vista last fall the service was quite slow, and after I "upgraded" to Premium and the service didn't improve I went to Guest Services and obtained a refund. They dropped my service back to "Value" which made no difference...in fact, if anything the speed improved slightly toward the end of the cruise.

idk if you still can but there were boards on carnival.com where you could start a family thread and just post to each other and keep in touch for free.

my dad couldnt figure out signing in and even though i bookmarked the thread he had trouble finding it so i gave up but there used to be a board you could do a threat on. it was public, but if you just want to keep in touch it worked.

my dad is 100 and my mom is 92.

easy for some who dont have any responsibilities to tell others to not stay connected.

if i have to, ill fly home at the next port, and i need to know they are ok.

Or they are like we are..... a farm at home with 9 animals and elderly parents in different states.

The WiFi is a simple way to send messages back and forth to check on everyone and everything . Which goes a long way to allowing me to relax on vacation.

So the broad brush is not always correct.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

my dad is 100 and my mom is 92.

easy for some who dont have any responsibilities to tell others to not stay connected.

if i have to, ill fly home at the next port, and i need to know they are ok.

God bless them!!!

I was my father care taker (3years) until he passed away.... Sometimes you have to sacrifice and do the right thing. I can't be out at sea worrying if things are ok.

Don't wait to late when you could have been right there!

You have choices!!!!

God bless them!!!

I was my father care taker (3years) until he passed away.... Sometimes you have to sacrifice and do the right thing. I can't be out at sea worrying if things are ok.

Don't wait to late when you could have been right there!

You have choices!!!!

Right on! For example, my next sailing you can get the drink package and unlimited high speed internet for less than Carnivals cheers package. Why not be connected? I won't sail without unlimited internet. I need to be connected. Just because others don't, no reason to judge!

I love how the OP was just trying to be helpful by informing people not to waste their hard earned money on crappy premium WiFi and of course people see that as an invitation to push their agenda's on (disconnecting) while on vacation. Everyone is different and some people just may not have the option to disconnect from the real world for an entire week. Literally nobody asked for your judgmental opinions.