Panama Canal cruise for 20-somethings?

davey_p

My wife and I are taking a Panama Canal cruise next April and are wondering whether our mid-20s daughter would fit in (and feel comfortable). Basically, will she be the youngest passenger on the ship, or are there others of a similar age? We've been on a dozen cruises but they've all been during summer months when there are loads of young adults on board. Looking for others in this forum who've done a canal cruise to weigh in with experiences or guidance. Thanks.

Sure, she will fit in.

Yes, she may be amongst the youngest, as Canal cruises are rarely less than 10 days in length, and the golden rule is the longer the cruise, the older the crowd.

But, the opportunity to see the Canal? Priceless.

The ship/cruise line will still matter, even on this itinerary. Are there activities you're specifically interested in (like a disco, bars, music, theater etc)? We did Panama Canal for my husband's 40th birthday (I was 35) on HAL and had a great time, but we were among the younger of the guests. Didn't matter to us - we normally aren't night owls and don't care about discos or shows, but on that cruise we were actually in the Piano Bar after dinner a lot......There were other young people (not many kids, due to timing) Non-Americans, especially, seem to be the other "young" people on some of the longer cruises we do - makes sense, they tend to have more vacation time available. I think that was the cruise with a large group of people from Colombia and they were having a blast:D

I base vacation decisions based on what I want to do and what gives me the best opportunities to do those things. Age (older) doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the opposite, avoiding lots of kids:rolleyes:

We did the Panama cruise on the NCL Pearl and the few "youngNs" on board seemed to have a great time as the cruise staff took great care of them. As long as they participate in the activities they'll be fine. I was in the "bowling with the NCL stars" and also got to know the staff, some younsters and recieved some freebies as well.

It seems the cruise staff like to bowl and hang out in the Bliss lounge late night to "chill out".

Archived