MSC Crociere expansion...

Hornblower

In the last few days there have been a few announcements at MSC Crociere.

It seems the two newbuilds at Fincantieri are a goer, all that remains to be finalized is the financing. These two vessels are in addition to the two newbuilds plus an option at Chantiers d’Atlantique.

As we already know MSC Crociere will be lodging a sealed bid for EUROPEAN STARS when she's auctioned, the date is July 16. Another vessel to add to their growing list. In fact MSC are so confident that they have her in the bag that they have already booked dry-docking facilities in Genoa for mooring EUROPEAN STARS until February 2005.

MSC are also looking at cruise terminals. They are interested in investing in all ports where their ships make calls, Venice is at the top of their list for a dedicated terminal. Genoa may come second, but maybe not as a dedicated terminal, as a partnership with other users, this is something we have to wait and see.

As for markets, MSC has underlined the importance of the North European market and has anticipated from next year it will deploy a larger vessel in the Baltic in place of the current MSC Rhapsody. In the Mediterranean, MSC Crociere has confirmed the importance of Genoa: in 2005 MSC cruise ships with make 112 calls at the port for a total of 170.000 passengers.

Cheers

Guest Anorak33

The question which remains in the forefront of what I have left of a mind is this:

The response by MSC to changes demanded recently to on board policy and dining on Lirica - will these be permanently applied to all MSC ships and cruise destinations or just to selected ships and Caribbean cruises where US passengers are likely to predominate?

I read a thread posted on this board where MSC promised to make various changes, like proper orange juice (important to us) and more variety of pizza etc.

I hope these changes will have been fully implemented by Dec 27th when we embark Lirica on a Transatlantic cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

MSC announced today that they have bought EUROPEAN STARS which is to be renamed (as I predicted the next MSC ship would be) MSC SINFONIA. She will start service in the Med in Spring 2005.

So by next year MSC's fleet will consist of:

Premium Fleet

MSC OPERA

Built 2004 - 59,058 GT - 1,756 passengers

MSC LIRICA

Built 2003 - 59,058 GT - 1,586 passengers

MSC SINFONIA (ex EUROPEAN STARS)

Built 2002 - 58,714 GT - 1,586 passengers

MSC ARMONIA (ex EUROPEAN VISION)

Built 2001 - 58,714 GT - 1,586 passengers

Classic Fleet

MELODY (ex ATLANTIC, STARSHIP ATLANTIC)

Built 1982 - 35,143 GT - 1,064 passengers

RHAPSODY (ex CUNARD CONQUEST, CUNARD PRINCESS)

Built 1977 - 17,095 GT - 766 passengers

MONTEREY

Built 1952 - 20,046 GT - 576 passengers

And they have two new ships on order from Chantiers de l'Atlantique and two on option from Fincantieri, all of which should be delivered over the next five years.

So five years from now, MSC should probably have eight ships, the oldest of which will be MSC ARMONIA. (I'm assuming that the Classic Fleet will be gone by then - my guess is that 2004 is MONTEREY's last year, and RHAPSODY probably will follow not too long thereafter. Even MELODY is bound to not last that long.) Pretty impressive.

I was just looking at the MSC brochure today and it sparked my interest when I read about the Lirica and Opera. I was on the Lirica in May (had a wonderful time). We are trying to decide between the two ships for Spring. As Doug (among others) has said, the Lirica and Opera are very much alike...length 763 ft, width 84ft, 58,600 t. The differences? Opera - crew 800, passenger acc. 1,756, 12 decks, 878 cabins. The Lirica - crew 760, passenger acc. 1590, 14 decks, 795 cabins. Is it just my imagination or is there more elbow room on the Lirica?

Is it just my imagination or is there more elbow room on the Lirica?
Yes, LIRICA has a better passenger-to-space ratio.

Whether the difference can actually be felt remains to be seen, but at least on paper, LIRICA is the pick of the MSC fleet right now.

Will there be a ship based in the Caribbean throughout 2005?

I am trying to plan and would consider this line in either the summer or late fall of next year (first week of December).

If they do keep a ship here, I hope its either the Lirica or Opera......and not the ex-First Europeans ships....

Archived