Voyages to Antiquity Aug 10 and later

Doubloon

Hi all

We are post-cruiser however I need to report on what I think is very good news for this line (we have not posted an official review on this cruise). We were on the June 29th cruise, which experienced some difficulties to say the least, but that isn't the point.

We are now in receipt of a reply to our letter and we have to say Andrea, at Head Office in Fort Lauderdale, has address each of our concerns with great detail. She was great to deal with and very sincere in her concern for our issues while acknowledging that they have had some teething issues of their own. They have asked us to come back onboard to give them another try as well as reassuring us that they have and will continue to improve the ship and experience for the betterment of future passengers. We think the concept of the line is great - lots of ports, lots to see and lots to keep you cerebrally challenged.

Even though we were on one of the earlier cruises, which experienced issues, (and to contra some others' views) here are some of the good points of the ship.

1. The staff and crew are top, top, top to a fault. Our cabin was spotless everyday, the bar staff knew what drinks we liked and in the morning they knew we liked our coffee!!!!!! We were even invited to have a drink with some of the senior staff. Search out Fizzie (Charleston Lounge), Orkan (Head waiter) and Mauro (Food Manager). They will all make the difference.

2. We got to see some ports that other boats just don't get to see - a BIG plus for us as we have had the opportunity to visit a number of place in greece.

3. The cruise line seems to have enough recognition in the world to be able to provide private viewings of certain sights - for example a private evening tour of St. Mark's Basilica which was mind blowing. If you are on a cruise on which this is included - DO IT!!!! It was probably third on my list of life moving experiences.

4. Ever important to me, given our travel in this part of the world, at every stop there was water given out for shore excursions. Take my advice, especially if you are traveling in the summer months, take the water and drink it. It is very hot and you will need it. The staff were very happy to give you two, three and even four bottles if you asked for it. Obviously they recognize the need for hydration - hugely important when the temperature is approaching 40 degrees.

5. The shore excursion staff were great. They were readily available and ALWAYS carried a first aid kit. Because of the issues on our voyage they unfortunately put up with much complaining however I have to say they did so with the up most pride and respect. After all it wasn't their responsibility however they never turned anyone away. Andrew and James were the ones we experienced the most and they were both fabulous.

6. We found the food in the Marco Polo restaurant to be good. I wasn't a fan of the buffet restaurant but that is not my thing so that being said is wasn't bad food just not how I enjoy dining. The tapes on the back deck was nice and I would often take a plate back to the room as a light meal.

7. Probably one of the most outstanding events of the trip was the people we met. We got to know people from England, Australia and the States, which we total enjoyed spending time with. We shared a pizza with a wonderful Australian couple in Dubrovnik, in a square, which was great!!! We also enjoyed our time with Elizabeth (our Greece tour guide) as she stood out in our minds.

We had an OK time given all the issues however there were some positives and given lovestotravel's reports things are much better.

I would not give up on this line as they have much to offer in their cruises.

Just to be defensive (given some of the posts on this site and others), WE DID NOT get a refund of our cruise costs, we do not work in the industry and we will not get any any benefit out of this post. We just wanted to post that we were happy with how VTA addressed our concerned and that there were some positives to our trip despite to problems we endured.

Hope that helps future passengers' put their mind at ease that it is not all bad onboard and given the more positive posts from people like lovestotravel that this line is hearing, listening and improving based of ex-passengers' feedback.

Happy cruising to all

Well guys I just put my deposit down on the Cathage to be destroyed cruise for Mar 2011. I would have loved to be on the Nov one this year but they are almost fully booked and the only cabins available are the very high end ones so going as a solo was out of my price range.

Interesting note is the name got changed slightly because a CDN history professor advised then they had translated the Latin incorrectly:)

I'm really looking forward to any comments from anyone going on the Nov cruise.. especially any help with what is appropriate for females to wear in Libya. - Shar

Well guys I just put my deposit down on the Cathage to be destroyed cruise for Mar 2011. I would have loved to be on the Nov one this year but they are almost fully booked and the only cabins available are the very high end ones so going as a solo was out of my price range.

Interesting note is the name got changed slightly because a CDN history professor advised then they had translated the Latin incorrectly:)

I'm really looking forward to any comments from anyone going on the Nov cruise.. especially any help with what is appropriate for females to wear in Libya. - Shar

Hi Shar -- any chance you might change your mind and consider the November 2011 "Leptis Magna" itinerary? That's the one I'm probably going to book -- the itinerary is very similar.

Re: the Latin translation -- the literal translation probably would be "deleted" but to the Romans, that meant "destroyed" in this case. Latin is a rich language and very open to interpretation. :)

Interesting. Now I don't see the thread that popped up after the initial one was closed -- it was titled "What happened to ..." and had a red frowny-face. It did contain an updated posting from Livestotravel about current life onboard the Aegean Odyssey. She continues to report that things are improved and all is going well.

Cruisemom42 - I think that cruise is the same as mine only in reverse and I get an extra sea day. 2 of my 3 grandkids have birthdays in November so I don't travel then unless I can squeak one in between the dates. So looking forward to Libya and hope it's still not too busy now that visa restrictions have been lifted.

sorry if this posts twice - wizards are funny things - Shar

Cruisemom42 - I think that cruise is the same as mine only in reverse and I get an extra sea day. 2 of my 3 grandkids have birthdays in November so I don't travel then unless I can squeak one in between the dates. So looking forward to Libya and hope it's still not too busy now that visa restrictions have been lifted.

sorry if this posts twice - wizards are funny things - Shar

Ah well.......in that case, you'll be going before me so I'm hoping for a full report. :)

Interesting. Now I don't see the thread that popped up after the initial one was closed -- it was titled "What happened to ..." and had a red frowny-face. It did contain an updated posting from Livestotravel about current life onboard the Aegean Odyssey. She continues to report that things are improved and all is going well.

That's because the OP was questioning the mods decision/action, whichis not allowed by community guidelines. EM

Wow - now the 'What Happened To' thread disappeared, I'm getting a bit paranoid. Anyway, if anyone is following the ship, and wonders where we are, it was decided that because of rough seas we wouldn't be able to tender at Naxos(sp?) and instead are in port at Messina. Quickly responding, we had info about Messina shoved under our doors when we awoke, and after the tour of Taormina (45 minutes by bus) when folks began asking about the local museum, info and directions for that were placed at reception. We have been especially blessed by having the son of the pianist for the Romanian trio come aboard for perhaps the rest of the cruise - he has been named top pianist of Romania two years running and is only 19 years old. He gave a magnificent concert for us the other night, and tonight he will play with the Cafe Concerto Strings (the trio) in an impromptu concert - his name is Ieronim Gugu - can't wait!!

LivestoTravel--

I, too, wondered about that thread. Oh well. I was afraid you wouldn't find us since your computer minutes remaining were short. Thanks for looking long enough to find this thread. That trio is outstanding in their own right so I can only imagine what the addition of another topnotch pianist does for them. Wish I was onboard for many reasons, and that concert would certainly me one of them. Again, thanks for your continued updates. They are much appreciated.

Looks like that May 31st thread has been edited, with all posts since August 8 deleted. Interesting post by sayitasitis, currently onboard AE, amongst the casualties. Someone obviously took offence. Good to see that recent posts are much more positive. :) We are booked on the November "Carthage is to be deleted" (or destroyed?) cruise and are now very much looking forward to it.

Livestotravel, hope you'll post a quick wrapup when you get back -- my final payment is due Thursday!!! :D:eek::D

It looks more and more like you are going to have a terrific time with one fantastic itinerary ...... once that final payment is made. VTA clearly wants to make this work. And I want you to post a quick wrap-up too because this trip is still on our own radar for next year.

Wow, how did you get those pictures so quickly! I notice on the marinetraffic.com website that the Costa Fortuna is just now departing Venice, heading for Bari.

I knew she was to leave at 5pm, so went to Kroooz-cams for her bridgecams and waited for her to move. There was a real parade of ships into Venice today, but unfortunately those with cams were first, and when AO docked in the canal, she was out of cam range. I think she will still be there when Serenity leaves in two days, but that, too, is chancey...They might send her out first. Here is the only shot I got of her coming in...Not very satisfactory! EM

AO6.jpg

Here is the only shot I got of her coming in...Not very satisfactory!

This CURRENT information doesn't exactly square with David Yellow's assertion about ten days ago that this problem is "80% alleviated". As for the rest of his quote ("and should be eliminated by extending the exhaust pipes in the funnel during the ship’s December wet dock") this tells you that there will therefore be problems with "soot from the stack" for the rest of this year.

I'm still vacillating about booking one of the remaining V2A cruises this year. I am encouraged by the continuing positive posts, but I'm concerned about the remaining smoke. I can deal with some soot, but are you still able to smell the smoke on board?

( I seem to have a lingering sensitivity to heavy smells following chemotherapy, in spite of finishing treatment a year ago.)

I'm still vacillating about booking one of the remaining V2A cruises this year. I am encouraged by the continuing positive posts, but I'm concerned about the remaining smoke. I can deal with some soot, but are you still able to smell the smoke on board?

( I seem to have a lingering sensitivity to heavy smells following chemotherapy, in spite of finishing treatment a year ago.)

Boy, that's a tough one. I wasn't bothered by fuel smell, but if you are particularly sensitive I suppose you may be. I'm sure you wouldn't smell anything on the forward decks, though, or at the pool. Certainly not in the rooms unless you have a balcony near the back of the ship. Even if you had to avoid eating outdoors at the Terrace Cafe, you can always eat in the spacious indoor section. I have to say we more often than not chose the Marco Polo restaurant for dinner because of the great selections - and also ate many lunches there. After all those four course meals I am afraid to step on the scale! You are kept so busy with lectures, briefings, and entertainment, all of which are indoors, and tours that of course are off the ship, that I think you could have a wonderful time even if you found you had to avoid an area or two. Just got back home a few hours ago, and I think I speak for all the passengers we had gotten to know that they were sorry the trip was over and some are already talking about future cruises. Hoping others on this past trip can comment on their experience with the smoke smell.

Hmmm. Good shot of that smoke everyone's been talking about.

It was amazing - a stately parade of huge cruise ships (and then us), entering Venice on the Giudecca Canal. We were on deck at 6:00 am and saw the sun come up then thrilled as those familiar Venice sights came into view over the next hour. All the ships had smoke pouring from their funnels, and some just as black, but conjecture on the ship is that the problem comes from the Aegean Odyssey being a small ship with less decks so the soot has a chance, sometimes, to land on the back decks. Personally, a few times I asked for napkins to cover the seat of my chair outside at the Terrace Cafe, but that was the extent of the problem for me. I do hope they can "clear" it up for good, though!

It was amazing - a stately parade of huge cruise ships (and then us), entering Venice on the Giudecca Canal. We were on deck at 6:00 am and saw the sun come up then thrilled as those familiar Venice sights came into view over the next hour. All the ships had smoke pouring from their funnels, and some just as black, but conjecture on the ship is that the problem comes from the Aegean Odyssey being a small ship with less decks so the soot has a chance, sometimes, to land on the back decks. Personally, a few times I asked for napkins to cover the seat of my chair outside at the Terrace Cafe, but that was the extent of the problem for me. I do hope they can "clear" it up for good, though!

Thanks for putting it into perspective LTT. Your reports have been very helpful and entertaining. I hope you will get the time to write a review, as the only reviews currently on CC about this ship do cause anxiety. I know what you mean about that approach to Venice. It's magic. :)

If it is any help, the back deck on the Crystal Symphony also had strong diesel smells and it was one of the very few places one could sit in quiet outdoors. It came with the territory on that ship and they think they are a premium deluxe line, so some places on some ships this wafting of diesel smoke can be a problem. Once you know where these spots are, easy to avoid them particularly when there are so many good alternatives spots. Unfortunately since there were so many balcony rooms on the Symphony, there were few extra nooks and crannies on the ship for quiet outdoor space so it was that smell of diesel or else. Reminded us we were in fact on a ship. Imagine that.......;-)

My favorite ships smells were on the Oosterdam because we passed by a crew/staff only door on the way to our cabin that always leaked out the delicious smell of the freshly baked breads that HAL ships are so famous for. One of the upper deck main exhaust vents also wafted that same wonderful fresh baked bread smell out into the open sea air which was always fun to walk past.

Archived