Swan Hellenic Minerva/Discovery

Mel

We are travelling on the Minerva this May and would love information about the ship. We have been on the Discovery twice and loved it (the small number of passengers, service, itineraries, food all made it a very good experience for us) and wondered if the Minerva will be more or less like it. A couple of questions - I see that they have a launderette on board - do they have an iron and ironing board as well? Can you bring alcohol on board to drink in your cabin? Is it absolutely mandatory that men wear jackets and ties every evening in the dining room? Any and all information past travellers could give us would be greatly appreciated. Mel

Hi Mel

We are on Minerva in just over two weeks time so on our return I will give you up to date information. From the pre-cruise information it would appear that jacket and tie are required in the dining room but not in the buffet. It also stated that only alcohol bought onboard can be consumed.

We had a pleasant surprise this week when our TA phoned to say Swan Hellenic were offering us a free cabin upgrade which we felt would be rude to refuse.

Really looking forward to the 'small ship' experience.

Trevor

Hi Jean,

We are on from May 11 - 25th so hopefully we can meet up (with only 300 or so passengers, I'm sure we can!). We were on the Discovery a couple of years ago to Iceland, then went on their last trip to Antarctica in January of 2009 - fabulous! I see you are from New Zealand - one of our favourite trips.

Mel

Hi Mel,

We will look forward to meeting you!Our cabin no. is B5- unless we get an upgrade!!

We enjoyed our trip on the Discovery very much and think this sounds a similar ship. We went on the Marco Polo in 2006 and part of the cruise was to Iceland. It was a great trip.

I am glad you enjoyed visiting NZ. We live at the very top of the South Island. We haven't been to Canada yet but now that there are direct flights from NZ it is much easier to get there.

We are interested in finding out as much information about the Minerva too but being so small there doesn't seem to be that many who have sailed on her.

Jean

I just got an email with a great rate for a single on the Italian Serenade, May 11th sailing. I've not sailed with Swan before but I heard they might be a bit "stuffy." Has anyone else heard this? I'm definitely not a person who likes to dress up a lot but I'm fine with a buffet dinner.

Anyway I wired back for quote and availability to confirm before deciding. Offer said all excursions and gratuities included so I wonder what is not included (other than alcoholic drinks)? Does anyone know?

Hi Jean,

We are on from May 11 - 25th so hopefully we can meet up (with only 300 or so passengers, I'm sure we can!). We were on the Discovery a couple of years ago to Iceland, then went on their last trip to Antarctica in January of 2009 - fabulous! I see you are from New Zealand - one of our favourite trips.

Mel

Hi Mel and Jean,

I did book the May 11-25 cruise and I've jumped on the roll call that was started sometime ago.

Looking for advice on getting off ship and to airport on our last day. Cheapest ticket is very early morning and I've read you need to allow up to 2.5 hours to get from ship to airport. Has anyone set their flights yet?

Hi Jean and Tamara,

Looking forward to meeting you both on board. My husband's (male) friend Dale is also coming on the cruise with us - I understand that there will probably be quite a few singles on the Minerva. We have booked our flights, we leave FCO airport at 1:20pm for Frankfurt then Toronto so will have to be at FCO about 11:30. I have checked and it is approximately a 1 hour taxi ride from the port to the airport and will probably cost the three of us about Euros 150. We could take the train from the port to downtown Rome, then the train to the airport which would cost a lot less, but with all the luggage, etc., it would be a lot more hassle. Mel

Hi Mel & Timara,

Will look forward to meeting you all on the cruise. Nice to ( finally!) know of people on at least part of the cruise! (I put a message on the Roll Call board ages ago). We have been wondering about how to get to the airport in Rome too. Our flight leaves about 6pm so have all day to get there and we would probably use the trains except, like you Mel, we will have too much luggage. I guess it will be a taxi unless the ship organises a coach ( no idea if that is a possibility).

Jean

I posted this on your rollcall thread Jean: There is a van shuttle service from the port to FCO I found recommended by another CCrs. It's 90 euros for 1-2 persons and then 15 euros for each additional person up to a total of 8. I'm looking for others to join me. Mel if your group comes in it would work out to be 30 euros each.

I am also on the 1:20 pm flight to Frankfurt. I was told it's best to plan on arriving at FCO three hours before flight but maybe because my final destination is the U.S. and we often get more screening.

Tamara

p.s. we might want to move our discussion over to the Roll Call that Jean started.

Hi Tamara,

You can count the three of us in for the shuttle - I guess we can just divide the final amount by the exact number of us for a per person price - i.e. if there were just the four of us it would be 30 Euros each, as you said. We would be fine with getting there 2 to 3 hours ahead of the flight.

Mel

Hi Tamara,

You can count the three of us in for the shuttle - I guess we can just divide the final amount by the exact number of us for a per person price - i.e. if there were just the four of us it would be 30 Euros each, as you said. We would be fine with getting there 2 to 3 hours ahead of the flight.

Mel

i Mel,

I'm out of town this week but will contact shuttle company about how long it takes to get to airport on a weekday morning and then get back to you about setting time for pickup.

Hi Tamara and Mel,

Although our trip includes airfares and a night in Istanbul we still have to find our own way to and from airports. The shuttle sounds a good idea but seeing that our flight to Munich doesn't leave until 5.30pm we wouldn't want to be at the airport as early as you people. However saying that I don't know when we would have to be off the ship. I think we would have to be out of the cabins early but no doubt we could stay in lounges. I still would be interested in hearing your plans and would like to know how to contact the shuttle company as it would still probably be cheaper than a taxi.

Jean

As soon as I get home I will port shuttle website info. I don't have it on my laptop which I have it me; it's on my desktop.

Any cruise ship I've been on usually only allows you to stay on until about 9 am or so although river cruise ships have been more flexible. I think some of has to do with security and customs which you are required to go through. I think there is a hotel within the airport; they may offer day rates. I've done that before.

Hi Tamara and Mel,

Although our trip includes airfares and a night in Istanbul we still have to find our own way to and from airports. The shuttle sounds a good idea but seeing that our flight to Munich doesn't leave until 5.30pm we wouldn't want to be at the airport as early as you people. However saying that I don't know when we would have to be off the ship. I think we would have to be out of the cabins early but no doubt we could stay in lounges. I still would be interested in hearing your plans and would like to know how to contact the shuttle company as it would still probably be cheaper than a taxi.

Jean

Hi Jean,

The website for the airport shuttle is: www.airportshuttle.it.

Hi Mel,

I've written to them this morning asking how long we should allow for the trip and as soon as I hear back I will book our shuttle.

Hi Mel,

I've written to them this morning asking how long we should allow for the trip and as soon as I hear back I will book our shuttle.

Mel,

I just heard back from shuttle company and they say the ride is about 45 minutes but other posters have noted it took longer. Anyway we probably have to be off the ship by around 9 am so when would you like me to book it for?

Thanks Tamara for the website for shuttles. I have asked our T/A to find out how long we can remain on the ship. We don't leave until 5.30pm so hopefully they will allow us to stay aboard until the afternoon especially seeing the flights are part of the package. However if we have to disembark at the same time as you plan to, then we could be interested in sharing the shuttle. Will let you know what the story is. The flights back to home are going to be pretty arduous without extra hours at Rome airport!

Jean

I've emailed Lufthansa to ask when their check-in counter opens at the airport. Their minimum check-in dealine is 45 minutes but everything I've read about Rome airport is lines, lines, lines so I want to play it safe and allow enough time to grab light lunch before boarding.

I've emailed Lufthansa to ask when their check-in counter opens at the airport. Their minimum check-in dealine is 45 minutes but everything I've read about Rome airport is lines, lines, lines so I want to play it safe and allow enough time to grab light lunch before boarding.

Mel,

I heard back from Lufthansa and they recommend min. 2 hour check-in for Rome. How about a 9 am shuttle pick-up time which will allow for unexpected traffic? Let me know soon so I can book van.

Thanks Tamara for the website for shuttles. I have asked our T/A to find out how long we can remain on the ship. We don't leave until 5.30pm so hopefully they will allow us to stay aboard until the afternoon especially seeing the flights are part of the package. However if we have to disembark at the same time as you plan to, then we could be interested in sharing the shuttle. Will let you know what the story is. The flights back to home are going to be pretty arduous without extra hours at Rome airport!

Jean

I called Swan Hellenic customer service today to ask a few questions and decided to ask as disembarkation. He told me that usual "have to be off" time is 9:30 am.

Hi Tamara,

Have heard from our T/A that we can stay aboard to 10am which isn't that great for us! If you are thinking of a shuttle around 9.30 we would be happy to share with you.

Jean

O.K. as soon as I hear back from Mel I'll let you know. You are a party of two is that correct?

Dear Mel and Jean,

It turns out you have to prepay the Rome airport shuttle. I want to be sure everyone is totally agreed to 9:30 am time before I do this. The total is 150 euros, which for the six of us would be 25 euros each. I just need a promise that folks will pay be back once we are on board (euros would be greatly appreciated).

Thanks

p.s. you can email me at the above Cruise Critic ID name at yahoo; just put my name in the subject line so hubby doesn't delete before I see it.

Archived