Snorkel recommendations

Vineyard View

we are considering purchasing our own snorkel/mask for an upcoming trip. This is something we would not use often, but would certainly hope to have multiple occasions in the future to use.

So that said, I have been looking at options, mostly on Amazon, and there is the traditional size mask, and then there are the larger 'full face' masks - which seem to be pretty impressive(?)

Having only used the traditional, (and always rented them in the past) I would love some comparisons, recommendations, and 'steer clear of' feedback.....keeping in mind the packing space/weight, and not needing top of the line/pricing.

Thank you!!

I think we started with a Costco set of snorkel mask and snorkel. I think my Husband is still using the mask. Then we upgraded the snorkel so water doesn't come in as easy. I had trouble with the mask letting water in, so I went to a store in a mall and got a smaller mask. Then we were snorkeling in Hawaii in May and they told me I needed a kids mask. It was also softer sides, it worked great. I guess I'm saying that it might be better to get one from Costco or a store that you can try it on rather than Amazon. I never would have thought my face was narrow enough to need a kids size. I'm not sure what I am going to do in Jan. but I guess I should start looking. I too don't want to spend a lot because we don't do it enough. Hope this helps.:)

Thanks for that feedback. Good advice......but I am thinking that gear is gone from Costco here at this point. I will be going tomorrow so I will sure take a look!!

So do you use regular sized masks or the full face.....I read that the full face provide much greater viewing and less leakage......

Thanks for that feedback. Good advice......but I am thinking that gear is gone from Costco here at this point. I will be going tomorrow so I will sure take a look!!

So do you use regular sized masks or the full face.....I read that the full face provide much greater viewing and less leakage......

We have never tried the full face mask.. got me thinking.:)

Apparently you can breath through nose or mouth, and no more jaw clamping on mouth piece.....plus greater viewing area. We just decided we are going that direction so will research those options and reviews.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions please let us know!

Apparently you can breath through nose or mouth, and no more jaw clamping on mouth piece.....plus greater viewing area. We just decided we are going that direction so will research those options and reviews.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions please let us know!

I have an Octobermoon full face that works great. Lots to choose from on Amazon. Take a look in the scuba and snorkeling sub-forum for more information on the full face masks.

• 2 weeks later...

We are not fans of the Costco snorkel gear - too much leaking and fogging. Last spring we were in Hawaii and decided to rent quality gear. We are sold on paying extra so you don't have to constantly struggle.

For that same trip, we wanted a full face mask for our 9 year old son, since this was to be his first snorkel experience. I did quite a bit of research, and had narrowed it down to the SeaView and the Tribord. We went with the Tribord because it had a smaller size for children. We were very happy with it. I tried it a couple of times and it was great - no fogging or leaking.

One disadvantage is that you can't dive down very deep. But I usually stick to the surface anyway. One other suggestion is to keep it out of the sand - it is more difficult to clean out than a regular mask and snorkel.