T-shirts in MDR???

riffatsea

Hi,

First time Princess cruiser here. We are happy to dress appropriately and DH will wear collared shirts etc. Since retirement he has been collecting racing memorabilia and has t-shirts showing Kentucky Derby races that he loves.

Will he be allowed to wear them into the MDR on NON formal nights?

We live in San Diego where it is very informal and folks dress down even at nice white table cloth restaurants. He will be OK if he can only wear them during the day so just asking so we know what to pack. I know what is written on the Princess web site but I also know that actual practice is sometimes different than the written dress code.

Get ready for a bunch of people to tell you "no" and a bunch of people to tell you "yes". The subject of attire in the MDR is one of the most contentious on this board.

My personal opinion is that a button up shirt is more appropriate for dinner in the MDR. Will your husband be turned away if he arrives in a t-shirt as described? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not. Seems to depend on how seriously the dining team on any given ship takes the dress code.

IMHO a collared shirt is more appropriate in the MDR for dinner. But you will most certainly get responses from folks who will say that a t-shirt is OK. And then there are those who think that because they are on vacation they can wear whatever they want or push the limit to see what they can get away with.

Hi,

First time Princess cruiser here. We are happy to dress appropriately and DH will wear collared shirts etc. Since retirement he has been collecting racing memorabilia and has t-shirts showing Kentucky Derby races that he loves.

We live in San Diego where it is very informal and folks dress down even at nice white table cloth restaurants. He will be OK if he can only wear them during the day so just asking so we know what to pack. I know what is written on the Princess web site but I also know that actual practice is sometimes different than the written dress code.

Here is what I know from personal experience, this is from the Maitre D on the Island Princess when we were on the Panama Canal cruise last month, men are allowed to wear shorts on the first and last day due to luggage maybe late to the cabin and the last day because you may have packed your suitcases for disembarkation the next day. Far as T-shirts go, I and several other male patrons wore nice/good looking "T's" almost every night with nice jeans/slacks, we had late dining, don't know if that made a difference. Hope this helped and like usual every ship maybe different, maintain rigid flexibility.......

Thanks for your quick and pleasant/polite responses!

I am aware that this topic is a hot one but hope my question made it clear that we are not trying to "get away" with anything and will be appropriate at all times.

We are also going on a Panama Canal cruise in Dec 2018 so plenty of time to think about clothing!!

I'm trying to think of the correct way to answer this "question".

1) You read the Princess Policy.

2) You know that the written Policy on Princess might not be the followed convention.

3) You are a long time Cruise Critic member.

4) Even Carnival cruises asks for collared shirts for men on Casual Nights.

5) Princess seems that it might be a little bit more formal (a very little) than Carnival.

Solution: Do whatever you want.

I am aware that this topic is a hot one but hope my question made it clear that we are not trying to "get away" with anything and will be appropriate at all times.

We are also going on a Panama Canal cruise in Dec 2018 so plenty of time to think about clothing!!

I was hoping to start the responses off in a positive manner!!

I don't personally understand why people get so agitated about this topic. I'm a dress to the nines person, when I'm on a cruise. I dress casually all the time at home, so dressing up is a huge part of my vacation. It does make me a bit sad to see the formal night slip away as more and more people move away from dressing up, BUT, I have no interest in policing other people's wardrobe choices. It's a vacation, and I think most cruise lines are trying to balance both sides of the topic so that a maximum number of passengers get the kind of vacation they want.

I was trying to gauge the atmosphere here on Princess.

I asked a similar question a while back on the Holland America board(before we decided on Princess) and the tone of the responses there was different than the ones here(so far)

We do not fit the (mostly inaccurate) stereotype for Carnival cruisers as we are seniors who don't get wild and drunk and are perfectly willing to wear decent clothing on board. Just taking the time to get to know a bit about Princess now.

Thanks for everyone's input.

So has your husband decided to wear his racing t shirts in the MDR? If he does he will definitely be in the minority. I do not know why this is a big issue for some. Why can't they just go by the recommendations and wear a collared shirt? Is that too much to ask? My 2 cents.

DH will have collared shirts to wear when he needs them . It is not his norm for ordinary restaurants here at home. We certainly don't want to be turned away from dinner so he'll wear them if required. It sounds like some ships are stricter than others about these policies so we'll be prepared and see what happens on board. We don't really care if we are "in the minority" as what other people wear or don't wear doesn't affect our enjoyment of our cruises.

I asked the question,after reading the written policy,because I know that on ship experience is often different from the policy so was just getting an idea about it from folks with more on board knowledge.

We certainly won't complain about anything as we are planning to enjoy our cruise!!

Hi,

:)

Here we go again. Another dress code war on the horizon. :)

Just curious, does your hubby wear his tee shirt to dinner in the MDR on the other cruise lines you’ve sailed on? And, how did it go with hubby wearing his tee shirt at dinner?

FWIW, hubby can try wearing his tee shirt to see if he os allowed by the Maitr D’ to get into the MDR. If he says it’s a “no-no”, hubby can always change to a collared shirt or sweater. No problem.

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

My DH loves his shorts and t-shirts and we're from SD too, so I understand what you mean about it being informal here. That's an understatement! A lot of people wear their bathing suits here to restaurants! Because my DH dresses up for work, when he's on vacation, he wants to totally go casual. For that reason, we'll eat in the buffet if he wants to dress that way. For the dining room on casual nights, he wears dress slacks and a polo shirt or a Tommy Bahama shirt. Hope that helps. ;)

Just returned from 28 days on Emerald Princess. Talk around the ship was that several people were turned away from MDR for inappropriate dress. Personally, I spoke with the Matre 'd and thanked him for enforcing the dress code.

Hi,

Here is how are three grandchildren were dressed on a formal night on the Regal Princess a couple of weeks ago.

On non formal nights they wore collared shirts. We are trying to teach them how to dress correctly.

26621527179_02ee1d28ca_z.jpg_2389 by Howard , on Flickr

T shirts for dinner you can always go to Horizon Court

Howard

Yes, on some other ships he has worn his t shirt into the MDR for dinner on NON formal nights.

"Dressing properly" is different in different cities . There is not one standard for that throughout the USA.

I am glad that my fellow San Diegan understood what the "norm" is in our city.

I have seen Saturday night weddings here where guests wore everything from long gowns to shorts!! The person who wore the shorts explained,"We just came from our boat"!!

I can see that the consensus on here is that DH should wear a collared shirt to dinner in the MDR and I am sure he will do just that.

No worries! We won't upset the other diners with our clothing.

Thanks again for your very polite replies!!

I would never subject DH to being "turned away" from dinner in the MDR!

We will wear what is allowed. Why would I want him to be embarrassed that way??? Did you get the impression that we were just going to do as we pleased? I said that I got it!! The consensus is to wear a collared shirt except maybe for the first night soooooo unless I see others on other nights being allowed in wearing something else , he will wear a collared shirt.

Hi,

I think you know full well the answer. NO! During the day, fine but for dinner, he has to follow some modicum of proper dress. Smart casual is the normal rule: Collared shirt & slacks, no shorts flip flops etc. Formal night.. well there are those who say dress any way you like. That's bull crap. Tuxes & gowns are not necessary, but decent dress is.