Gate 1 Travel vs. Viking River Cruises

LauraS

• 2 weeks later...

Having been on both, I can say that Laura's review is spot on. I did Viking's Rhine cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) in 2015, and Gate 1's Danube cruise (Regensburg to Budapest) this year, and enjoyed both. Overall though, I preferred Gate 1.

Meals:

Breakfast was almost identical. Lunch as well, although wine and beer were not included at lunch on Gate 1. The dinner options on Gate 1 were not as varied as on Viking (one appetizer, rather than a selection between two, etc.) but the meals on both were excellent. Laura mentioned that vegetarians may not have as many options on Gate 1; I'm vegetarian and didn't find that to be the case. All of the meals had at least one vegetarian main course. For the soup and appetizer courses, I was always provided an option.

Excursions:

On both cruises, the ships docked in town in most ports. Both lines offered included, and optional, tours at each stop. On the Viking tour, I participated in most of the offered tours; on Gate 1, I mostly chose to explore on my own. I didn't do any of the optional tours on either cruise, so can't compare. Viking stopped in more locations; Gate 1 stopped in fewer locations, but stayed longer.

Cabin/Crew

On both cruises, I booked a French Balcony room. The cabins were equivalent as far as space and layout. Cabin service was excellent on both lines. The crew was exceptional on both.

On-board activities

About the same. Both had a lounge with piano player, bar, etc. Both had trivia quizzes, and entertainment. Gate 1 had a late-night snack, and tea-time snack, which I don't remember seeing on Viking.

Etc

The majority of the passengers on the Viking cruise were from the US. The Gate 1 cruise had a more varied makeup, with passengers from the US, Britain, Australia, Malaysia, and other countries.