When we did in Grand Cayman and what I would do next time

spleenstomper

Hi, all.

We are back from the cruise (boo) and I wanted to do my part and let you know my thoughts about Grand Cayman.

First off, I was never able to find a private driver.

We were on Carnival and did not get FTTF so we had to tender with the masses. We went forward all the way and basically walked right on a tender— caught it right. Midship was crowded and waiting for the next one.

When we arrived at the pier it was sort of mass chaos with all the vendors and transportation yelling and with their signs for different excursions, etc.

We found someone who would take the 6 of us to the turtle farm for $8 a person. We combined with some people who were getting dropped off at a beach— so we dropped them off first and then we went on to the turtle farm.

At the turtle farm, we were conflicted about which package to purchase. We bought the $45 one (in retrospect this was a mistake oh well) since the teens thought they might like the water slides and snorkeling with the turtles (until we saw how big turtle poo was!!! :o

The turtles were cool and there were lots of iguanas. The turtles looked all squished up because they are gluts and associate people with food times so they were not swimming all around but waiting for food.

We got to hold the baby turtles and they take a photo and transfer it to your iPhone for $25.00 which we bought one photo. All 3 were like $40 or so but two of ours didn’t come out worth purchasing.

We decided not to snorkel since it was a closed man made pool (not open to the ocean or anything) and we got a little OCD thinking about salmonella risk and the turtle poo (man poo size). Granted, the turtles swimming here were small, but still!!! There were people snorkeling and looked to be having a rewarding time.

The predator pool was small with two nurse sharks.

The aviary is small and with a lot of doves, but we did get to see some Scarlett ibis.

We went to the covered food area that had ceiling fans. I bought 2 Gatorade and a fried calamari appetizer (delicious). I wanted my daughter to eat something since I figure Hell likely didn’t have any food and that was our next stop. She didn’t want to eat since it had been 2 hours since we had breakfast. I think my bill was around $30 including tip. It was kind of high— maybe $25.00 (I think the calamari was around $13 and each drink was probably around $3 each). Let’s say $25.

She went to do the nature trail, but it was blocked off.

In the end, we should have bought the least expensive ticket, but we enjoyed it and have done that so won’t go back next time. I spent about $89 in the gift shop.

We did not go see dolphins across the street since it seemed to be a different company and we didn’t want to spend more money. (My cash was dwindling quickly).

More soon.

Edited by spleenstomper

By the time we got through with turtle farm and the gift shop, we had talked to the security guard outside and he was helping us with which public bus (2.50 a person) to get on to get to hell.

Well, my daughter started getting cranky (blood sugar dropping) and so we ditched the plans for hell and got on the bus to go to 7 mile beach. (Public beach so it is free). This took about 20-25 minutes for the ride I guess). We picked up a lot of locals and were at capacity when we finally started dropping people off.

The public bus van was nice, clean and air conditioned but we had to make every stop, so there’s that. A cab would have been quicker, but I’m not sure any were available.

Someone recommended we go to a place on 7 mile beach (something with a jack in it??) that had food and facilities, but my daughter (18) was decompensating fast (I didn’t remember to bring any snacks and only had water with me which I made her drink) and a man approached us on the walkway and said he could get us two chairs and an umbrella for $20.00.

The place with facilities was not right there and seemed to be a pretty good sandy walk, so we decided to go with this guy. I got my daughter settled in the shade on the chair and I went and got her a Pepsi sold by a local for $2.00. (Everything was $2.00 and he had drinks and cookies and chips).

The water at 7 mile beach was terrific and we were now in view of the ships, which I find reassuring. After a drink and some time, my daughter popped up and had a great time.

It is now noon, and everyone who didn’t eat at the turtle farm was hungry, but there was no real food convenient to us. We also had to be back for last tender at 3:15 so I started to become aware of time and our plans.

My caution is if you do Grand Cayman on your own, buy snacks when you get off the ship! The public bus obviously doesn’t stop when you need food. (This is part of the reason why I wanted a private driver and in retrospect next time I might ask around and see if anyone wanted the job when we got off the ship).

I don’t think you can bring food off of the ship either, so between the first van ride and the public bus, etc, there was no place or stop to get food.

We left 7 mile beach around 1:45 and there were vans in the parking lot corralling people who were going back to the port. They asked for $5.00 a person and we filled the van with all carnival people spread on 3 different ships. We almost died on the ride back lafter nearly getting T boned by an 18 wheeler (would have been our driver’s fault I believe) but we made it out of that with no impact. Thank god.

They dropped us off at the pier and we didn’t realize the dream line was across from margaritaville and Swarovski and so we walked all the way into the shops and all of that before realizing our mistake.

The line for Dream was long— this was about 2:15 I guess. By the time we were on the tender (25 minute wait I would guess), the dream line was longer and wrapping around buildings. Eek!!

So for food, after an 8:30 breakfast, those who didn’t eat at turtle farm had to wait until about 3:30 to eat again. That’s 7 hours!!! My daughter and I went back to our cabin and ordered room service as soon as we got back in— literally the first thing I did upon getting back to the room.

So what would I do next time?

Turtle farm is once and done. Enjoyed it but wouldn’t go back— no need.

The people who did stingray snorkeling loved it a lot, so I would definitely consider that next time.

I would also like to have spent time walking around the downtown port area and do some shopping maybe.

There seemed to be a snorkel/dive shop right to the right of the port area (when looking at the ships) maybe 2 blocks down. I would have enjoyed sorkeling on my own where we didn’t have a time limit because we were with a tour: this seemed to have a pier you get in and out of the water from. If anyone knows what I am talking about, please let me know.

I would still have preferred to have a driver. If anyone figures that one out, please let me know.

Maybe I would try Hell next time, maybe not.

Tendering, as well all know, is a huge time waster. Having last tender at 3:15 didn’t help. I felt rushed and conscious of time the whole day. We didn’t do everything we wanted.

Oh, there was a food truck and an ice cream truck in the parking lot of 7 mile beach that we saw on the way out. We didn’t eat because it was Jamaican food (teens were like yuck) and we were running out of cash, didn’t know how long it would take for food and the van people wanted us to sit inside so they could fill the van and then leave.

We decided that since the van was there and we would have to take a bus if we missed the van (and do all the bus stops), that our priority was to get on the van.

I also saw hot dogs when we got back to the pier, but my daughter at that point just wanted to get back on the ship and eat there.

Too bad the turtle farm pool was in need of cleaning. And disappointing that more birds and animals weren’t around. That sucks. Did you swim in the larger pool with the water slide? How was that?

If there was a big parking lot with vendors in it at your section of Seven Mile Beach, you were likely at Public Beach...and Calico Jacks is just on the other side of the parking lot. Full menu, good food, restrooms, etc.

One of the taxi drivers would likely have given you a day rate. Much, much more expensive, though. As you’ve discovered, Cayman isn’t cheap. :-)

The snorkel spot you saw was likely Paradise Restaurant,with an entrance to the Eden Rock dive/snorkel site. It’s a great site, but not for inexperienced snorkelers or weak swimmers. It is free, though, and an easy walk from the port exits.

Downtown shopping isn’t really something to regret missing. Lots of high end jewelry stores and tourist-targeted souvenir shops. You didn’t miss much there.

Next time, maybe try renting a car and exploring outside of town, where you can set your own pace and pick your own stops. The DIY approach is hard using public transit. Or maybe one of the Stingray City excursions...I always recommend visiting there if you haven’t been before.

It’s really hard, your first time visiting somewhere, to get your bearings and see everything you want to. I hope you had fun, though.

All of the beaches are "free"....Public beach is just a name! Almost all entrance areas to the beach have chair rentals....so that's really never a problem. Seagrape Beach is near Calico Jacks....the eating place you were thinking of. All the food on GC is pricey....GC is one of the most expensive islands....they are the banking capital of the Caribbean, and prices reflect their wealth!

We grabbed one of the mini busses to the beach...$7 each. It dropped us off at Calico Jacks. $15 for 2 lounge chairs & an umbrella (November), there were showers and clean washrooms. The restaurant had a nice menu, we only bought a bucket of beers for $20 as we had a big breakfast. We would do the same again. The ocean was rough but there were activities available. Lots of mini buses waiting to take you back. Again $7 each. Total cost was $50 for two of us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does Calico Jack’s have an actual entrance? TBH, we couldn’t really see how to get there other than walk on the beach, so that is why we went to the public beach instead.

Yes, it was out first time to GC, so yes, heard to get bearings straight.

Definitely loved it there and would for sure go back...

Yes it does - there is a big car park for Public Beach - a road along the eastern side of it goes around the lot, turns left and heads towards Calico Jack's. There is a parking area there but it can get pretty congested with cruise buses. Worst case you park in the Public Beach Lot and walk over.

We grabbed one of the mini busses to the beach...$7 each. It dropped us off at Calico Jacks. $15 for 2 lounge chairs & an umbrella (November), there were showers and clean washrooms. The restaurant had a nice menu, we only bought a bucket of beers for $20 as we had a big breakfast. We would do the same again. The ocean was rough but there were activities available. Lots of mini buses waiting to take you back. Again $7 each. Total cost was $50 for two of us.

This sounds reasonable - do you recall if the prices were in US dollars or Cayman currency?

Does Calico Jack’s have an actual entrance? TBH, we couldn’t really see how to get there other than walk on the beach, so that is why we went to the public beach instead.

Yes, it was out first time to GC, so yes, heard to get bearings straight.

Definitely loved it there and would for sure go back...

Yes, most of the mini buses drop you in front, if you get the loungers & umbrella, they are at Calico Jacks

This sounds reasonable - do you recall if the prices were in US dollars or Cayman currency?

USD, I think the prices changes with the time of year and how many ships are in port. However, we had a lovely day on the beach.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, thanks for the detailled review. Do you remember what was the time when you boarded the tender boat in the morning and who much time does it take to reach GC?

We didn’t have FTTF or anything, but I don’t remember the times. Sorry.

Yes, most of the mini buses drop you in front, if you get the loungers & umbrella, they are at Calico Jacks

Ok, we were dropped off on the side of the street, crossed the street to get to the 7 mile beach parking lot, and then walked on the only sidewalk we saw (or pathway maybe) and that led to 7mile beach.

I’ll figure it out next time, thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Grand Cayman for family vacation just last week

Spent the day at Royal Palms Beach Club - very nice - delicious food (highly recommend shrimp tacos and conch fritters) - great wine list - rumor on the island is that it has been bought by Four Seasons and won't be around long - not easy to find due to tons of construction around it but still a great day -

We got lucky the day we were there - no ships in port so we got freebie chairs, umbrellas and cabana -

rumor on the island is that it has been bought by Four Seasons and won't be around long

Sort of. It was bought, but by Dart (not the Four Seasons) in September of 2017. They are thought to be developing a hotel on that site, which is planned to be a Four Seasons. This is the second location that they have tried to build a Four Seasons (the first was up north of the Kimpton).

So the Royal Palms as we know it will close, but it may not be for over a year or so.

The open question, of course, is where cruise visitors will have to go once that is closed down, and Hemingways is gone (they also have plans to close in September 2018), and with Tiki Beach already gone. Something will need to be done.