Hair on a world cruise

CABINET

I have pretty awful hair (thin and flyaway) but have a hairdresser that I trust and does the best I think can be done with it.

We are thinking of doing a long world cruise segment in 2019 which would involve us being on the ship for upwards of 60 days and possibly might have another two or three weeks on land before embarking.

I would definitely need a hair cut in that time and I suspect copious amounts of grey regrowth will also be a problem.

Has anybody got any experience of having hair cut and or coloured on board?

I have pretty awful hair (thin and flyaway) but have a hairdresser that I trust and does the best I think can be done with it.

We are thinking of doing a long world cruise segment in 2019 which would involve us being on the ship for upwards of 60 days and possibly might have another two or three weeks on land before embarking.

I would definitely need a hair cut in that time and I suspect copious amounts of grey regrowth will also be a problem.

I understand and share your concerns. We are on next year's World Cruise on QE from San Francisco to Southampton. I have already thought that I need to find a salon near the port in Sydney. And then I have to either find someplace 4 weeks later or go to the onboard salon.

I was planning on bringing my own color with me. I have my hair colored professionally at home but I can also color my own.

I have already thought that I need to find a salon near the port in Sydney.

I had thought to do the same thing when I did a WV in 2014. When looking around in Sydney, however, I decided to have my hair cut onboard instead. I figured that way, if they did too bad a job, I could always go back and have them do something to try and fix it. Turns out the hair cut was fine onboard (much better than the pedicure I had:eek:).

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think of trying to take the colour with me but I will talk to my hairdresser.

She mixes up the stuff for the regrowth first and then after that she puts a colour over my whole head which is also freshly mixed.

I will ask her if you can mix it up weeks in advance or not.

When I needed a haircut a few years back, I ask my cabin steward (female) for a recommedation as to which stylist to use. My steward had hair down her back and had never been to the salon. But she said would ask around the staff. She came back with a name for me and I was quite pleased with my haircut. You might consider this strategy of asking for a recommendation.😁 Katherine

When I needed a haircut a few years back, I ask my cabin steward (female) for a recommedation as to which stylist to use. My steward had hair down her back and had never been to the salon. But she said would ask around the staff. She came back with a name for me and I was quite pleased with my haircut. You might consider this strategy of asking for a recommendation. Katherine

Thank you for this. And also Scrapnana. I appreciate your input. Very helpful.

I have not been happy with pedicures onboard either, but the worst thing I EVER did was have my eyebrows tinted as a "free add on" to a facial. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I looked like Groucho Marx for two weeks. When I came back to my suite my husbands eyes became HUGE.

I looked at him and said: It is OK to laugh. I look ridiculous. ;) ;)

I think I would probably book an appointment for a shampoo and blow dry before a trim is necessary. This gives you the opportunity to have a consultation and develop a rapport with the stylist. He/she will then understand your wishes ,have experienced styling your hair giving you the best chance of a happy result. I think the idea of asking a female member of crew for a recommendation is excellent.

I would try and find out what they charge on ship, I think some people get a shock.:eek:

I would try and find out what they charge on ship, I think some people get a shock.:eek:

I understand that it is a LOT more than on land, but if you are taking a World Cruise, the cost of a haircut should not be an issue. I say that as someone taking a World Voyage in 2018.

On our World Cruise in 2015 on QM2 I used the ships salon. They cut and coloured my hair throughout the 4 months we were on board, however, I did take my own colour. They agreed to use it as it was a brand that they used . Do take into account that it can be quite pricey; but I didn't want to spend my time ashore looking for a hairdresser so was happy to pay the prices. They will try to sell you all sorts of treatments, just be firm and decline. In the months prior to our trip I had a "hair" kitty and put money aside to pay for my hair. Hubby also had his done on board a couple of times. I used a girl called Maureen who has been on QM2 for 10 years, she was good and I bumped into her again last year when we were on board.

Next time you get your hair cut, ask your stylist to take a photo of it before it has been styled. You can then show this to the hairdresser onboard. This will help with length, etc.

You can also take one of the styled hair so they know what effect they are aiming for.

Next time you get your hair cut, ask your stylist to take a photo of it before it has been styled. You can then show this to the hairdresser onboard. This will help with length, etc.

You can also take one of the styled hair so they know what effect they are aiming for.

I think this is an excellent recommendation, thank you!