I have a million questions.

zoryana

I have a million questions. Seriously. I don’t even know where to begin. Please post a few things that y’all wish you’d known about cursing. Advise. Anything is appreciated! We’re from Ohio. We’ll be driving down to Florida for the cruise. (we want to stop at a few places on the way to Florida) but mainly I’m worried about stuff that maybe I should know. Any tips or advice about the cruise helps!!! Thank you in advance. Planning on going to the Caribbean:)

Zoryana ❤️

Know this....a cruise is a VACATION! There is no "right or wrong" way to do it!

Go on the cruise line's website and read their FAQ's....tons of info on tipping, suggested dress, flight times (where applicable), etc. Your ship will be like a resort hotel, except the rooms are MUCH smaller than hotels! Most cruise lines add the suggested tips to your account daily, so that you don't need to worry about who or when to tip. Most lines charge in the area of $13.50 per person PER NIGHT, and that covers your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiters. ANY drink or non-included food item you purchase will have 18% added to the price as the tip. They only people you might want to hand cash to will be room service delivery, if you use that. $1-5 is common for a tip, based on how much you order.

Bring plenty of sunscreen...the Caribbean sun is fierce and you don't want to ruin your vacation with a sunburn. Bring along any "sometimes" meds you might need...they are pricey on the ship.

Just go and enjoy and discover what YOU like best on a cruise!

I have a million questions. Seriously. I don’t even know where to begin. Please post a few things that y’all wish you’d known about cursing. Advise. Anything is appreciated! We’re from Ohio. We’ll be driving down to Florida for the cruise. (we want to stop at a few places on the way to Florida) but mainly I’m worried about stuff that maybe I should know. Any tips or advice about the cruise helps!!! Thank you in advance. Planning on going to the Caribbean:)

Zoryana ❤️

My mamma would wash my mouth out with soap if was "cursing". But seriously, its best to ask specific questions so a specific answer can be given. Enjoy that 1st cruise and no cursing!

Zoryana [emoji173]️

Make certain the day you get on the ship you have your passport/ID and travel documents in your hand. Do not leave them in your suitcase when they take them. Keep any medicines you might need for the day with you too. You may not get your luggage until night time. If you don't understand something or don't know what to do, smile and ask someone around you and let them know it's your first cruise. You'll be surprised how many friendly people will help you out, passengers and staff.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

Make sure you arrive at your departure port a day before the sailing. Spend at least one night before the cruise so that you get a good nights sleep and ready for your cruise. As a first time cruiser there are so many things to see and do. Pick things that you like to do during the cruise.Try to budget at least a seven day cruise because anything shorter than that is too short. I have been on thirty five cruises since I got hooked wayback in 1983. Let us know what ship you are interested in as some of the posters can explain more details about the specific ship your interested in.Enjoy your planning and have a wonderful honeymoon cruise.

Zoryana [emoji173]️

Check out the Forum section here where it says new cruisers. Helpful info to stuff you may want to know.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

"Anxiety" has become a recent buzz word. Some folks seem to think its cool to have anxiety :(. But that is a lot of baloney. You are going on a cruise vacation......so just think in terms that its all about fun. Plan your entire trip based on having fun...and leave the worries and anxiety at home. As to tips...the best tip you will get is to simply go with the flow and have a great time. Plan on going to the port shortly before noon. The worst part of any cruise (for many) is the embarkation. Sure, it does involve lines, the usual security checks (like at an airport) and the waiting to check-in and get aboard. But just think of it as part of the fun, relax, and you will soon be aboard where you can start your cruise experience with some lunch.

Hank

Zoryana ❤️

Oh, my! You could get literally hundreds of tips! All valid to one degree or another.

Read what the cruise line has to tell you, and get familiar with the floor plan. Not to the point of obsession, but it's nice when you walk on the ship and already have some idea of where you are and where you might want to go.

Troll cruise critic, especially for the boards that deal with your cruise line and specifically your ship. Also, for port information.

If you're on facebook, follow the cruise critic website. You'll see frequent postings with articles about "Top 10 Things To Do on Your Balcony" or "Excursions to avoid", etc. VERY basic stuff to most of us with any experience, but great for newbies.

As you build up your store of knowledge, your questions will become more specific and we can all help you better.

But, as others have said, don't leave home without the right ID! It's important to get on the ship!! Once you've managed that, there's not much you can screw up. Just know, you'll always discover things on the last day you wish you had known sooner. You'll screw up your schedule and have dinner at the same time a show is on that you wanted to see. etc. etc. The nice thing is... you'll fall in love with cruising (almost guaranteed) and you'll be back to try again!

* The most important thing is to make sure you have the required documents to board the ship far enough in advance to order them, if necessary. This would most likely be an unexpired passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate and government ID.

* Keep the documents with you when you turn in your luggage at the port. You will need to show the documents and your boarding pass in order to get on the ship.

* It's always best to arrive a day early to allow for travel delays.

* I always pack sunscreen, insect repellent, hand sanitizer, and hand wipes. I also always take a lot of small bills to use for tips (porters, tour guides, etc).

* Once you decide on a particular ship, it is helpful to read reviews and suggestions for that ship. Each ship is different. Some ships require reservations for shows, others don't. It's good to know things like this in advance. On my first cruise, I booked all of the excursions with the ship. It made my first cruise less overwhelming.

* In the month or so before my cruise, I will start tossing items in a suitcase so that won't forget them. It helps to do that or make a list. Most of all, be ready to have fun! If you don't sweat the small stuff and focus on the fun stuff, you will have an amazing time.

Please do consider using a Travel Agent who specializes in cruising ... could be so very helpful to you! :)

It can be very hard to tell if a travel agent truly knows what they're doing, even if they "specialize".

You're much better off reading the stickied threads on Cruise Critic and asking any questions on here. Particularly the specific sections pertaining to your cruise line or port.

I have a million questions. Seriously. I don’t even know where to begin.

Actually you do. Read these threads, then go on to other subjects. Two months and you'll have a good knowledge base.

Zoryana ❤️

What is your route of travel?

Don’t over pack, you won’t need half of what you jam into your luggage.

Luggage might at times arrive at your cabin late. Pack your carry on with what you need for the first day.

First night in the dining room is informal, don’t worry about dressing up.

If you are able to arrive the night before that would be my biggest suggestion. I'll share a quick personal experience - My first cruise we booked the flight through the cruise line. We live in MA and were cruising out of FL. Some stupid reason the cruise line suggested we fly that morning and the flight was routed through Chicago (which is not at all on the way FL) and they were getting a snow storm there. So delayed getting to Chicago, delayed getting to FL, luckily there were about 40 other people on our flight for this cruise so they "held" the ship for us (assuming it was cheaper for them to hold the ship vs shuttle us to the next port). But the stress was so bad I will never do that to myself again, now we always go a day early.

Packing, excursions, money to bring, etc....everyone is giving good advice on this post and your others. Relax enjoy it and just make notes of how you would do it differently next time.

The most important thing is to have everyone's passport or birth certificate in order and double and triple check; before you leave your driveway, before you get on the plane, before you leave your hotel, etc. Keep these on your person, not in luggage. Without this, you won't be cruising.

Other than that, you will figure it out. Everyone is a first time cruiser some time. Yes, you will learn a lot and be ready for your next cruise.

Get insurance. Don't overpack. Don't try to do everything. Don't listen too much to negative reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
The most important thing is to have everyone's passport or birth certificate in order and double and triple check; before you leave your driveway, before you get on the plane, before you leave your hotel, etc. Keep these on your person, not in luggage. Without this, you won't be cruising.

Other than that, you will figure it out. Everyone is a first time cruiser some time. Yes, you will learn a lot and be ready for your next cruise.

Get insurance. Don't overpack. Don't try to do everything. Don't listen too much to negative reviews.

What type of insurance????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Zoryana ❤️

cursing is an individual act. some curse like Sailors. some don't curse at all. there is no right or wrong way

Yes, travel insurance. We want insurance that covers the cost of the trip, yes, but more importantly insurance that has high amounts for medical care and evacuation.

Although we wouldn't like it, we could handle losing any money we spent for the cruise. What would be tough would be having to pay tens of thousands of dollars--or more--for medical care and evacuation. So buy the best policy you can afford that covers those things, as well as apre-existing conditions clause.

Even young people can have medical emergencies. We use Insure My Trip for comparing policies and chose what works best for us.