Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

Just back from Aurora at the weekend and the security checks were much more in depth, I suspect in preparation for the booze restrictions come January.

We brought back 6 cans of Christmas beer from the Carlsburg distillery and the ship security stated to us that "you have a six pack of beer, right.". We said yes and that was that but they seemed pleased with themselves to get an affirmative answer.

Another day we brought back a food item but on an X-ray I suppose it could have looked a bit like a fancy bottle. We were asked to remove it from the bag for inspection, the minute they saw what it was it waved through. It al took a little longer than our normal experience.

Me thinks they are practicing for detecting illicit booze - you have been warned.

The alcohol restrictions don't come into force until February 1st, so we are able to take a few bottles on board with us on our January cruise - bottles of Champagne to celebrate an occasion. Normally all we take with us is a bottle of Pimms. Gin is reasonably priced on board so we usually get it from Room Service if we want some.

Don't see why not - 1st of Feb is 1st of Feb not 30th Jan!

We've also booked the 11th Feb 'cheap' Oriana cruise after she comes out of dry dock and we'll try to bring something back on board at our first stop to see how well they are going to police it.

If they confiscate it then, hey ho, much the same as most other cruise lines and we can take it home with us.

I litre is very unfair to wine drinkers. I don't mind the limit on spirits so much as I usually took only one bottle and bought something onboard from Room Service: reasonable prices and delivery in 20 minutes with a smile!

I know other cruise lines are just as draconian, but P and O have really shot themselves in the foot by taking away their previous reasonable approach. It is far worse than if they had been draconian in the first place, and spells out very clearly that the American Bean Counters have won over UK reasonableness.

• 2 weeks later...
Just back from Aurora at the weekend and the security checks were much more in depth, I suspect in preparation for the booze restrictions come January.

We brought back 6 cans of Christmas beer from the Carlsburg distillery and the ship security stated to us that "you have a six pack of beer, right.". We said yes and that was that but they seemed pleased with themselves to get an affirmative answer.

Another day we brought back a food item but on an X-ray I suppose it could have looked a bit like a fancy bottle. We were asked to remove it from the bag for inspection, the minute they saw what it was it waved through. It al took a little longer than our normal experience.

Me thinks they are practicing for detecting illicit booze - you have been warned.

Yes, sounds like the P&O Alcohol Police are in training, ready for 1 Feb.:evilsmile:

I am going on the Oriana 30th January 2018 from Southampton, I emailed P&O and asked if I could take 3ltr box of wine they stated we could as the alcohol policy does not start until the 1st February 2018 so I will take the email with me just in case there is a problem. Can anyone tell me if it is OK to put in the Suitcase instead of hand luggage.

I am going on the Oriana 30th January 2018 from Southampton, I emailed P&O and asked if I could take 3ltr box of wine they stated we could as the alcohol policy does not start until the 1st February 2018 so I will take the email with me just in case there is a problem. Can anyone tell me if it is OK to put in the Suitcase instead of hand luggage.
No problem putting it in the suitcase, although I wouldn't risk it unless the suitcase is of the 'rigid' variety.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I agree this is hitting the wine drinkers the most. We always buy a large glass of wine plus prosecco with a meal but did like to buy wine in port to drink in the cabin. Sea days we would order room service but this would make quite an impact on our on board spending. With the cost of a balcony cabin, trips, gratuities, travel down, car parking and overnight stay in Southampton I am seriously considering other options this year.

I agree this is hitting the wine drinkers the most. We always buy a large glass of wine plus prosecco with a meal but did like to buy wine in port to drink in the cabin. Sea days we would order room service but this would make quite an impact on our on board spending. With the cost of a balcony cabin, trips, gratuities, travel down, car parking and overnight stay in Southampton I am seriously considering other options this year.

I think, in reality, it will hit beer drinkers the most and wine drinkers second.

I think, in reality, it will hit beer drinkers the most and wine drinkers second.

Yes and the irony is that those who drink high alcohol spirits are more likely to cause issues than much lower wine / beers.

So I can take on a full litre of cask strength (60%) whisky but only one bottle of 12-14.5 % average wine. Crazy.

Crazy indeed. But P and O seem crazy anyway. It's another cruise line off my usable list.

You must have run out now as P&O are still the most generous

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One thing P and O may not have considered is the possible effect on excursions which include, for example, wine tasting, where people often bought a bottle to drink onboard at the visit. If it's going to be confiscated, as are all our smarties, and they intend bringing some other duty free home at the end of the cruise, they may decide just not to bother with the excursion. Really wine etc bought on a P and O excursion should be exempt from "confiscation". But that would be too complex wouldn't it?

One thing P and O may not have considered is the possible effect on excursions which include, for example, wine tasting, where people often bought a bottle to drink onboard at the visit. If it's going to be confiscated, as are all our smarties, and they intend bringing some other duty free home at the end of the cruise, they may decide just not to bother with the excursion. Really wine etc bought on a P and O excursion should be exempt from "confiscation". But that would be too complex wouldn't it?

There's plenty of options to drink on board, any drink we might purchase on a trip, P&O or other, is destined to be taken home anyway.

Unintended consequences, news from the Excursions Department (ED):

Due to the recently revised P&O's policy on bringing alcohol purchases on board, the ED has seen a sharp fall in the number of guests buying winery excursions. It seems that as one winery is much like another, the two main reasons for buying such excursions were to 'tank up' for free and to purchase discounted 'juice' for medicinal purposes on board. The second is no longer an option and the first has lost its appeal as the wineries have severely curtailed the 'tanking up', due to their lost sales. The ED staff have failed to reach their sale's target and questions are being asked!

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners