Port Stephen's On Your Own Excursion ???

travelbug615

Has anyone done a "Port Stephen's On Your Own" excursion from the port of Newcastle, AU?

We are considering doing this on March 31, 2018 while sailing Celebrity. I would appreciate if anyone knows the drop off spot in Port Stephen's and what was in walking distance. Looking for nature, history, wildlife, or beach time suggestions more than shopping and dining suggestions.

Thanks for any info and input to whether the hour drive each way is worth it versus staying in the Newcastle area.

Has anyone done a "Port Stephen's On Your Own" excursion from the port of Newcastle, AU?

We are considering doing this on March 31, 2018 while sailing Celebrity. I would appreciate if anyone knows the drop off spot in Port Stephen's and what was in walking distance. Looking for nature, history, wildlife, or beach time suggestions more than shopping and dining suggestions.

Thanks for any info and input to whether the hour drive each way is worth it versus staying in the Newcastle area.

Port Stephens will be mainly for the beaches.

No idea where they drop off sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

We live about an hour from Port Stephens and 40 mins from Newcastle.

Both places are lovely. But IMHO Newcastle is the pick. Opportunities to see nature and wildlife may be a little limited in both places, but the beaches in Newcastle are said to be some of the best in the country.

And in terms of history, Newcastle has Fort Scratchley and the Anzac Walk. And you will get a spectacular view of our coastline from both of these places.👍

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We live about an hour from Port Stephens and 40 mins from Newcastle.

Both places are lovely. But IMHO Newcastle is the pick. Opportunities to see nature and wildlife may be a little limited in both places, but the beaches in Newcastle are said to be some of the best in the country.

And in terms of history, Newcastle has Fort Scratchley and the Anzac Walk. And you will get a spectacular view of our coastline from both of these places.👍

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Thanks radiancecruiser for the info. We will be there in early April. Will stingers be in the water in Newcastle's beaches?

Norma

I live in Newcastle and personally I would take in the views of Fort Scratchley, Nobbys Headland and our beautiful beaches. Theres the Memorial Anzac walk around the beach (google it ) and you can stop at Merewether Surf House for lunch. I would prefer Newcastle views appose to Port Stephens as it is a long drive and not much to see till you get there. You also could take a ferry across to Stockton . Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N910G using Forums mobile app