Do Cabs in Sydney Accept Credit Cards

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:58 PM.
Las Vegas
11,987 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We are disembarking from our cruise in Sydney and plan to take a cab to the airport. That is the only time that we will be in Australia. Will we be able to charge our cab ride or do we have to get some Australian money?

DON
Perth Western Australia
804 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by donaldsc
We are disembarking from our cruise in Sydney and plan to take a cab to the airport. That is the only time that we will be in Australia. Will we be able to charge our cab ride or do we have to get some Australian money?

DON
Yes the do but will add a surcharge for doing so (can be up to 5 percent.
I come from a land down under
26,235 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Bpos
Yes the do but will add a surcharge for doing so (can be up to 5 percent.
As above.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sydney, Australia
14,695 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
If it's a single use, the 5% will be likely equivalent to the cost of exchanging cash, and saving the issue with having cash left over.
Brisbane
600 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by donaldsc
Will we be able to charge our cab ride or do we have to get some Australian money?
Visa and Mastercard for sure. American Express may find some resistance.

But always check before getting in whether the taxi driver is happy with your kind of card.
Sydney, Australia
6,271 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Remember that itís not necessary to tip cab drivers in Australia
We also have Uber operating here so if you have an Uber account you could use them to get to the airport - cheaper than a taxi
6 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Just back from cruise, ended in Sydney. Had 4 pieces of luggage, so my husband &I took a taxi to airport. Asked the driver before entering the taxi if he accepted Visa credit card. He said sure. When we got to airport, he said ďoh no, I canít accept credit card. My machine doesnít process AMERICAN credit card. Iíll take cash, any type, Australian, New Zealand, US. Price is $82.50 (Australian dollars) plus $4 more for the luggage. So $85, US is fine.Ē
I said Iíll go in & get Australian dollars from debit machine. He said heíll accept $71 US.
Wish I had taken the HollandAmerica airport transfer for $19 per person!
I come from a land down under
26,235 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by happy4al
Just back from cruise, ended in Sydney. Had 4 pieces of luggage, so my husband &I took a taxi to airport. Asked the driver before entering the taxi if he accepted Visa credit card. He said sure. When we got to airport, he said ďoh no, I canít accept credit card. My machine doesnít process AMERICAN credit card. Iíll take cash, any type, Australian, New Zealand, US. Price is $82.50 (Australian dollars) plus $4 more for the luggage. So $85, US is fine.Ē
I said Iíll go in & get Australian dollars from debit machine. He said heíll accept $71 US.
Wish I had taken the HollandAmerica airport transfer for $19 per person!

$80 sounds high
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sydney, Australia
6,271 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Sorry to say you were had - that is a BS story on not accepting US issued cards - the machines donít discriminate and that charge for OPT to the International Airport is very high - this fare estimator sites suggest 50% of the price @ https://www.worldtaximeter.com/sydne...+circular+quay

So did you happen to get his Taxi number or ID?
6 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Sorry to say I did not get his taxi number or ID. We were too shocked to think clearly. He didnít have the meter on during the ride either. Charging more for luggage?? Thatís why we took the cab instead of the train! I know the hotels and stores in Australia had no problem with our credit card.
He did tell us early in the ride how much lower the crime rate is in Australia compared to the US, then proceeds to rob us! Iíve never been cheated by a taxi driver in the US, so wasnít prepared for this. Left us with a very bad impression of Sydney!
Sydney, Australia
6,271 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
I’m sorry to hear your Sydney experience ended that way

Maybe because I am a local but I have to say I’ve never heard of anyone else being treated this way by a licenced Sydney taxi driver.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but I do not believe it’s common. I hope you didn’t tip them
Brisbane, Australia
190 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by Bodogbodog
Iím sorry to hear your Sydney experience ended that way

Maybe because I am a local but I have to say Iíve never heard of anyone else being treated this way by a licenced Sydney taxi driver.

Iím not saying it doesnít happen but I do not believe itís common. I hope you didnít tip them
I have had a similar experience with a cab from Sydney airport to Cruise Terminal at Circular Quay. Told by the driver credit card no problem but when we arrived he claimed his Eftpos was not working and would only accept cash. I was suspicious and firmly told the driver (non Australian) that I had no cash and pretended to record his cab number. Miraculously the Eftpos machine suddenly worked and I was on my way. I am Australian with an Australian credit card so I hope this was an isolated incident and not a common scam.
Sydney, Australia
14,695 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
The old 'credit card machine isn't working' is a common ploy by Australian cabbies, and one reason I avoid taxis in Australia, amongst others.

That said, I've yet to see one run off-metre, and given the degree of regulation, especially at airport, I'd believe that aspect to be very uncommon. But the lack of ethics, or dodginess is less so...
South East Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia
438 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Last March, we were leaving the apartment building where we had stayed the night before embarking on the VOS at the OPT. There was a taxi at the front door as we walked up from reception and a young woman was just about to get in the back seat when the taxi driver saw us coming with our luggage. He said something to the passenger and she got out and went to another taxi. The driver put our luggage in the boot and you should have seen the look on his face when I said where we were going I think he thought he had a a trip to the airport! We still laugh about it. I was glad the young woman had another taxi to take her to her destination or we would have waited for another one.

Leigh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pacific Dawn 15-9-2012 New Caledonia and Vanuatu
Pacific Pearl 7-4-2014 New Caledonia
Diamond Princess 27-3-2015 Singapore
Voyager of the Seas 26-3-2017 New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji
Golden Princess 24-02-2018 from Melbourne to New Caledonia and Vanuatu
Golden Princess 8-11-2018 from Melbourne to New Zealand
Westerville, OH USA
2,259 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
We were in Australia and New Zealand in November and had no trouble with the taxis and credit cards. We did have Aussie$, but managed to do our entire time in NZ with just a credit card and no NZ$. The only time we needed cash was for our van shuttle for $15 AU pp from Potts Point to the airport. They informed us of the cash only well beforehand.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna and Mark
OH

NCL Sky July, 2005
NCL Sun July 1, 2006
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2008
NCL Pearl to Alaska 2009
NCL Sky 2010
RCCL Mariner of the Seas TA Fall 2012
HAL Westerdam Alaska 2013
NCL Star TA 2014
NCL Jewel Panama Canal 19 Nights April, 2015
Carnival Eastern Caribbean Nov, 2015
NCL Getaway Jan, 2016
RCL Vision of the Seas TA April 2016
RCL Majesty of the Seas Jan 2017
NCL Jewel Mexican Riviera March 2017
RCL Explorer of the Seas 22 Nights Transpacific Oct 2107
Muscat/Oman, Abu Dhabi/UAE and Sydney/Australia
1,062 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by happy4al
Sorry to say I did not get his taxi number or ID. We were too shocked to think clearly. He didnít have the meter on during the ride either. Charging more for luggage?? Thatís why we took the cab instead of the train! I know the hotels and stores in Australia had no problem with our credit card.
He did tell us early in the ride how much lower the crime rate is in Australia compared to the US, then proceeds to rob us! Iíve never been cheated by a taxi driver in the US, so wasnít prepared for this. Left us with a very bad impression of Sydney!
What's that a proper taxi? Or were you approached by someone offering the service? The letter being illegal.
You clearly must also have noticed that the meter was not on. Why not say something? Don't judge Sydney by it. At least in Australia you are unlikely to get sworn at by a cabbie if you don't tip.
6 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Yes it was a proper taxi, and in the queue at OPT, and we were directed into this taxi by the supervisor of the taxi queue line at OPT cruise port. We were not out on the street trying to flag down an unofficial taxi.
We donít take taxis often enough to know to watch for a meter. But now we will.
This was an unscrupulous taxi driver who cheated us. Please donít try to blame the victim for the crime!