When and what to book at the Spa

Bestie098

First time cruiser

Looking at the options at what to book on the Seabourn Encore Spa. There are so many massage, facial and wellness options.

Are there any recommendations? We’re open to most things. Although a couples package would be ideal.

And are there any times one shouldn’t book - in case it clashes with a sail away or other party? We’re on a port intensive Med cruise with only one sea day.

It a very individual choice. I'm not sure there is anything particularly stand out or worthy of special consideration that you won't get elsewhere. I'm not convinced by things like the sound waves treatment using different sized bowls and slapping on various mud or seaweed potions which may or may not be at the right temperature doesn't sound like the ideal spend of 200 hard earned dollars.

A good massage is always relaxing and will depend on the skill of the technician.

In terms of when to book, that depends on what else you want to do. Discounts are likely to be offered when in port, there is also likely to be a 10, 20, 30 offer whereby you get 10% off your first treatment, 20% off your second and 30% off your third (per person - you can't share them between two people).

The Spa is what it is. A nice to have if somewhat over priced priced addition to your cruise. As a Seabourn club member I get a signature 25 minute massage, which can be tricky to book unless you take it at 8.00am or during dinner hours. If you want to upgrade it to a 50 or 75 minute massage by adding money then miraculously previously unavailable booking slots open up :)

I agree -- whatever you like and whatever you feel like. A couple of thoughts -- you might choose to book a massage following either a long flight or a long day of touring if you feel like your feet or back will be aching, and the massage can be therapeutic in addition to generally relaxing.

If you book a treatment when the ship is in port (maybe if there's a port you're less interested in and don't need the full time ashore), you won't have to worry about missing shipboard events. Or, as Able Seaman says, you could wait for an interesting port-day special, which often are combinations of mini-treatments allowing you to try a few things.

Finally, on my Quest cruise this summer, they were touting the Andrew Weil sound bowl treatment. If you're considering this, go to the free intro class. 10 minutes of sound bowls turned out to be 9 minutes too many for me -- it made my head ring. I had nearly signed up for the treatment out of curiosity, but after the class knew I couldn't take it for 50 minutes or however long. Others find it relaxing, but make sure you know where you fall before committing!

Have a wonderful cruise!