Enough time for connection

mtebor

I am getting ready to book our airfare for our June river cruise.

I had a question on a connection. We would be flying Toronto to Amsterdam for a 1h43min layover before we catch the plane to Munich.

Is this enough time?

When do you go thru customs? Before you leave Toronto, in Amsterdam or final destination Munich?

Thanks

Should be long enough. You will go through customs in Amsterdam between the international gates and the Euro union gates. We like Amsterdam as a connecting airport, use it over CDG or Frankfurt. Usually an hour layover is good. Watch the lines for passport check, Euro union citizens usually center and right lines, non-Euro in left line... and usually only one line. Then there is security check again.

That will be plenty of time. You also won't have to pick up your luggage until your final destination, so it's just going through passport control. If the airline thinks your connection is tight, they'll give you a fast pass through security as you deplane.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Should be long enough. You will go through customs in Amsterdam between the international gates and the Euro union gates...

That is an immigration passport check, not customs.

You only clear customs at your final destination and you do that just by the act of walking out the exit door with your bags, it is nothing like the US process.

Mark is correct; you do passport control (immigration) at your first Schengen stop, and you pass through customs at your last stop, when you walk out with your luggage. Remember, immigration is for people, customs is for merchandise.

However, based on our recent experience, is the US is moving towards the European model for customs? When we returned from Reykjavik on Monday, we did our usual immigration (Global Entry) and then the DHS guy immediately collected our GE receipts at passport control. We then proceeded through the baggage claim area, and walked out of the customs area without ever passing another officer. Just like Europe. Since we had carry-on only, the whole process took about two minutes. Love it.

In the old days we'd go through GE, keep our receipt, and present our receipt at customs once we had retrieved our luggage, as we left the customs area. That process was a bit slower.

thanks everyone. I will book it. Now I am wonder if I should upgrade to premium class since it is long night flight. Price is an extra 1k/pp
What airline is providing the airplane? On a random day I see 3 nonstops YYZ-AMS (not counting the multiple variations of code shares). KLM provides a little more leg room in PE, but still crams 10 PE seats across in a 777. Air Canada's 787 PE only has 7 seats across versus 9 across in regular economy. The third carrier Jet Airways doesn't seem to offer PE. IMO if I was on AC I might consider the upgrade, but probably not worth $1k to me on KLM. YMMV.

However, based on our recent experience, is the US is moving towards the European model for customs? When we returned from Reykjavik on Monday, we did our usual immigration (Global Entry) and then the DHS guy immediately collected our GE receipts at passport control. We then proceeded through the baggage claim area, and walked out of the customs area without ever passing another officer. Just like Europe. Since we had carry-on only, the whole process took about two minutes. Love it.

We've had that 'carry-on only' exit option at DFW for a while now and yes, it is great to be able to avoid the sometimes crazy queues for customs there.

Fortunately I have Global Entry so even though that line can take a few mins sometimes it is way better than the 'normal' customs line.